Mopho x4

  • thefullnessof
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2012
      DSI's new Mopho x4 is clearly an unexpected instrument and not the synthesizer we've been anticipating. There's yet another one on the way, a large instrument that incorporates what could be called the next generation of DSI synthesizer design. I'm hoping this is finally the "big one."
    • Christopher
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2012
        Might not be expected or earth shattering to some but I really want one. Im kicking myself for ever having to sell my Evolver! Can't imagine how cool the two would have sounded together. Would have fit so perfectly on its case...And yes, this is coming from someone with no DS instruments any longer.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 6, 2012
          It looks like a fine synthesizer with classic Dave Smith sound and features. I hope to get one myself to use primarily as a monophonic synthesizer.

          --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <c_hebb@...> wrote:

          > Might not be expected or earth shattering to some but I really want one. Im kicking myself for ever having to sell my Evolver! Can't imagine how cool the two would have sounded together. Would have fit so perfectly on its case...And yes, this is coming from someone with no DS instruments any longer.
          >

          > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "thefullnessof" <thefullnessof@> wrote:
          > >
          > > DSI's new Mopho x4 is clearly an unexpected instrument and not the synthesizer we've been anticipating. There's yet another one on the way, a large instrument that incorporates what could be called the next generation of DSI synthesizer design. I'm hoping this is finally the "big one."

        • Brooks Mosher
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6, 2012
            classic Dave Smith sound to me is Pro One, Prophet 5, Prophet T8, Prophet VS...

            by the way, why would you get the Mopho x4 to use as a monophonic synth?

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6, 2012
              Because I already have several polyphonic synthesizers and like having a dedicated monophonic.

              --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, Brooks Mosher <brooksmosher@...> wrote:

              > classic Dave Smith sound to me is Pro One, Prophet 5, Prophet T8, Prophet
              > VS...
              >
              > by the way, why would you get the Mopho x4 to use as a monophonic synth?
              >
              > On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM, thefullnessof <thefullnessof@...>wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > It looks like a fine synthesizer with classic Dave Smith sound and
              > > features. I hope to get one myself to use primarily as a monophonic
              > > synthesizer.
              > >
              > > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher" <c_hebb@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Might not be expected or earth shattering to some but I really want one.
              > > Im kicking myself for ever having to sell my Evolver! Can't imagine how
              > > cool the two would have sounded together. Would have fit so perfectly on
              > > its case...And yes, this is coming from someone with no DS instruments any
              > > longer.
              > > >

              > > > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "thefullnessof" <thefullnessof@>

              > > synthesizer we've been anticipating. There's yet another one on the way, a
              > > large instrument that incorporates what could be called the next generation
              > > of DSI synthesizer design. I'm hoping this is finally the "big one."

            • Mark Lewis
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
                Yes... but I think the point he's making is that there is a Mopho keyboard (not the x4) that already exist that has the same architecture, it's monophonic and it cost less.

                Unless you want more keys and the option to have extra voices you'dbe paying too much just to use it as a mono synth.
              • Adrian Somm
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
                  Unless you are aware of unison, which would be the equivalent of having four mophos stacked monophonically.  Not a bad deal if you look at it that way.

                • punkdISCO
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
                    > Yes... but I think the point he's making is that there is a Mopho keyboard
                    (not the x4) that already exist that
                    > has the same architecture, it's monophonic and it cost less. Unless you
                    want more keys and the option to
                    > have extra voices you'dbe paying too much just to use it as a mono synth.

                    This is exactly how I feel about my PEK. I was completely happy with my
                    mono Evolver and never felt the need to criticize it. Now I have a PEK, I
                    feel very unattached to it as for me it fails as a poly synth and because of
                    this, I never use it (even as a mono synth).

                    One day I might sell it and by another mono Evo synth..

                    Ta,

                    Paul
                    London
                    www.punkdisco.co.uk
                    Text SLUT to: 29 7 29 7
                    Here's the video: www.youtu.be/Zl0PTZKy7fg
                  • thefullnessof
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
                      The Mopho Keyboard is too small for my monophonic purposes. Even a full three-octave keyboard is too small. At 3 1/2 octaves, a keyboard becomes just large enough.

                      Again, I like to have one designated monophonic synthesizer. I wouldn't want to waste a full-sized instrument, so something about the size of the Mopho x4 is about right.

                      --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Somm <soundartefacts@...> wrote:

                      > Unless you are aware of unison, which would be the equivalent of having
                      > four mophos stacked monophonically. Not a bad deal if you look at it that
                      > way.

                    • Brooks Mosher
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
                        I mean do whatever you want, but to me it makes more sense to just get the Mopho and trigger it with a full size keyboard...

                        On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM, thefullnessof <thefullnessof@...> wrote:

                        The Mopho Keyboard is too small for my monophonic purposes. Even a full three-octave keyboard is too small. At 3 1/2 octaves, a keyboard becomes just large enough.

                        Again, I like to have one designated monophonic synthesizer. I wouldn't want to waste a full-sized instrument, so something about the size of the Mopho x4 is about right.

                        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Somm <soundartefacts@...> wrote:

                        > Unless you are aware of unison, which would be the equivalent of having
                        > four mophos stacked monophonically. Not a bad deal if you look at it that
                        > way.

                      • Brooks Mosher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
                          sometimes that ends up being *too* much.  like the Matrix 6 unison - overkill...

                          but then again, you can say you like that - it's all subjective.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 7, 2012
                            To me it makes more sense to have a single instrument. I'm not into the module thing, if it can be avoided. I like it all in one piece, with no unnecessary wires and connections.

                            It's not as if I would not use a Mopho x4 polyphonically; but my main interest is in having a monophonic synthesizer.