MIDI connector for Sound Tower/Evo desktop

  • Spectral
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2011
      Could someone recommend a basic MIDI connector box that I can use to connect the desktop Evo to my laptop PC?

      I was hoping that my M-Audio 25 controller would act as go-between, but the Evo and Sound Tower don't seem to be able to communicate.

      Unless - I'm doing something wrong....?

      Checked every web resource I could find, I hope you guys can give me a make/model.

      Thanks a lot!
    • balinillo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2011
        Hi there :)
        forgive me if you already know all that - I don't know how deep into midi you have ventured forth yet :)
        I take it you want to play your Poly Evolver with the M-Audio 25.
        Firstly, Midi over MIDI cables is ONE-Way only. That means, if you want to use your controller to act as a midi interface AND want to record knob turns in your DAW, you need two cables. If you want to use the sound tower editor, you will need 2 cables, in and out of your Evo and reversely in and out of your computer.

        But for now, here the easiest way:

        To play the evolver, you need 1 cable:
        Midi out: M-25
        midi in: Evolver
        1.) If your M-Audio 25 has a midi out/ thru box, it should work.
        2.) make sure your M-Audio 25 sends data to your evolver on the right midi channel
        3.) make sure your evolver is on the same channel and all midi is on :)
        4.) If that doesn't work, see if you need to switch midi on or off at the controller

        If you want to use the soundtower editor, I can imagine, you might need to connect the "midi through" port of the Axiom 25 to the "midi in" port of the Evo. Maybe there is a "soft midi through option", check your axiom manual.

        if all else fails and nobody has a better answer,
        but a cheap midi interface with in/out/through, if you want to play at home.
        If you want to use it professionally, buy a...
        well I have a MOTU Micro Lite, but that's only because I need 4 low-latency in- and outputs live.

        Hope I could help you a little!
        Barely :)

        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Spectral" <spectralhelix@...> wrote:

        > Could someone recommend a basic MIDI connector box that I can use to connect the desktop Evo to my laptop PC?
        >
        > I was hoping that my M-Audio 25 controller would act as go-between, but the Evo and Sound Tower don't seem to be able to communicate.
        >
        > Unless - I'm doing something wrong....?
        >
        > Checked every web resource I could find, I hope you guys can give me a make/model.
        >
        > Thanks a lot!

        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Spectral" <spectralhelix@...> wrote:

        > Could someone recommend a basic MIDI connector box that I can use to connect the desktop Evo to my laptop PC?
        >
        > I was hoping that my M-Audio 25 controller would act as go-between, but the Evo and Sound Tower don't seem to be able to communicate.
        >
        > Unless - I'm doing something wrong....?
        >
        > Checked every web resource I could find, I hope you guys can give me a make/model.
        >
        > Thanks a lot!

      • Robert Hooper
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2011
          Your M-Audio 25 will work. I haven't used mine in a long time, as I use the Mopho Keyboard to control the Evolver now, but it was simple enough to swap in.  There are a couple of key points to check.

          MIDI Settings and cables: I just hooked mine up with the USB to PC, and MIDI cables IN and OUT between Evolver and the controller, and then set MIDI on the Soundtower application menu's Midi/Midi Setup dialog as  MIDI IN PORT: MIDIIN2 (USB Axiom 25), and MIDI OUT PORT: USB Axiom Axiom 25.  (My PC is Windows 7 64-bit, depending on your system and drivers, the names might be different.)

          Controller settings on Axiom: To use the Axiom (M-Audio 25) to control the Evolver, you need to toggle the Advanced Button and the B-key marked "MIDI Out" on the keyboard.

          Other stuff:
          Depending on what state you left your Evolver in, you may need to reset some settings, refer to the manual for that.  Check your Axiom/M-Audio manual for the toggles for the controller.

          Good luck, and have fun!

          -R

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2011
            Hi:

            Your M-Audio 25 will work. I use the Mopho Keyboard to control my Evolver, and haven't used the M-Audio for a long time, but I just swapped it in to test the setup.

            1. Cables: 1 USB between PC (mine is Windows 7 64-bit) and the Axiom 25 (M-Audio 25). Pair of MIDI IN/OUTs between the Axiom and the Evolver.

            2. MIDI Setup: Soundtower Evolver Editor menu Midi/Midi Setup, MIDI IN: MIDIIN2 (USB AXIOM 25), MIDI OUT: USB Axiom 25. Note that if the Evolver is on, you should see a DSI Evolver Rom status message at the top of the dialog, and another status message, ON-LINE EVOLVER in the editor. You should be able to send programs from the editor's Program Banks at this point.

            3. To control the Evolver with the Axiom keyboard, you need to toggle the Advanced button and press the B-key labeled "Midi OUT"... read the M-Audio instructions for more about this.

            That should be it, unless you have your Evolver in a conflicting state, in which case you should refer to your Evolver manual.

            Hope this helps, and Have fun!

            -R

            --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Spectral" <spectralhelix@...> wrote:

            > Could someone recommend a basic MIDI connector box that I can use to connect the desktop Evo to my laptop PC?
            >
            > I was hoping that my M-Audio 25 controller would act as go-between, but the Evo and Sound Tower don't seem to be able to communicate.
            >
            > Unless - I'm doing something wrong....?
            >
            > Checked every web resource I could find, I hope you guys can give me a make/model.
            >
            > Thanks a lot!

          • robertjayhooper
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2011
              I tried posting this earlier, and failed... Hopefully this will work from Chrome... if redundant replies appear, my apologies.

              It's been awhile since I used the M-Audio 25 (Axiom 25) to control the Evolver (I like using the Mopho Keyboard for this), so I set it up to verify and it still works. Here is what I did, with the Soundtower Evolver editor running on Windows 7 64-bit.

              1. Cables: USB between the Axiom 25 and the PC. A pair of MIDI cables between the Evolver and the Axiom 25, Axiom MIDI OUT -> Evolver MIDI IN, Axiom MIDI IN to Evolver MIDI OUT.

              2. MIDI settings: From the Soundtower Evolver SoundEditor, select "Midi/Midi Setup" from the menu. In the dialog tab for MIDI PORT Connections, I chose MIDIIN2 (USB (Axiom 25) for MIDI IN PORT, and USB Axiom 25 for MIDI OUT PORT. after I did that, the dialog reported the status of the DSI Evolver Rom software versions. Note that your text choices might read differently for different OS or driver versions, but they should be similar.

              3. After closing the dialog, I was able to write various programs from the program banks to the Evolver, as expected. Note that I am using the Poly Evolver keyboard programs, and my own programs, with the desktop, as there seems to be a bug with the factory desktop programs on my machine, since the last version of the editor.

              4. Finally, to control the Evolver using the keyboard of your Axiom 25 (M-Audio 25) you will need to toggle the Advanced button and press the B-Key labeled MIDI Out on the keyboard. Play around with this, and select some Evolver program that works with a keyboard, and you should be happy.

              Finally, you may need to tweak some other settings, depending on what state your M-Audio or Evolver are in--You'll have to refer to the manual for that.

              -R

              --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Spectral" <spectralhelix@...> wrote:

              > Could someone recommend a basic MIDI connector box that I can use to connect the desktop Evo to my laptop PC?
              >
              > I was hoping that my M-Audio 25 controller would act as go-between, but the Evo and Sound Tower don't seem to be able to communicate.
              >
              > Unless - I'm doing something wrong....?
              >
              > Checked every web resource I could find, I hope you guys can give me a make/model.
              >
              > Thanks a lot!

            • Spectral
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2011
                Thanks man, that's really helpful!

                I'm not deep into MIDI at all - the only MIDI connection in my rig is between the keyboard and Evolver.

                I'm going to take your instructions and work at this until I've cracked it - really appreciate your advice :)

                --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "balinillo" <barely@...> wrote:

                > Hi there :)
                > forgive me if you already know all that - I don't know how deep into midi you have ventured forth yet :)
                > I take it you want to play your Poly Evolver with the M-Audio 25.
                > Firstly, Midi over MIDI cables is ONE-Way only. That means, if you want to use your controller to act as a midi interface AND want to record knob turns in your DAW, you need two cables. If you want to use the sound tower editor, you will need 2 cables, in and out of your Evo and reversely in and out of your computer.
                >
                > But for now, here the easiest way:
                >
                > To play the evolver, you need 1 cable:
                > Midi out: M-25
                > midi in: Evolver
                > 1.) If your M-Audio 25 has a midi out/ thru box, it should work.
                > 2.) make sure your M-Audio 25 sends data to your evolver on the right midi channel
                > 3.) make sure your evolver is on the same channel and all midi is on :)
                > 4.) If that doesn't work, see if you need to switch midi on or off at the controller
                >
                > If you want to use the soundtower editor, I can imagine, you might need to connect the "midi through" port of the Axiom 25 to the "midi in" port of the Evo. Maybe there is a "soft midi through option", check your axiom manual.
                >
                > if all else fails and nobody has a better answer,
                > but a cheap midi interface with in/out/through, if you want to play at home.
                > If you want to use it professionally, buy a...
                > well I have a MOTU Micro Lite, but that's only because I need 4 low-latency in- and outputs live.
                >
                > Hope I could help you a little!
                > Barely :)
                >

                > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Spectral" <spectralhelix@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Could someone recommend a basic MIDI connector box that I can use to connect the desktop Evo to my laptop PC?
                > >
                > > I was hoping that my M-Audio 25 controller would act as go-between, but the Evo and Sound Tower don't seem to be able to communicate.
                > >
                > > Unless - I'm doing something wrong....?
                > >
                > > Checked every web resource I could find, I hope you guys can give me a make/model.
                > >
                > > Thanks a lot!
                > >

                > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Spectral" <spectralhelix@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Could someone recommend a basic MIDI connector box that I can use to connect the desktop Evo to my laptop PC?
                > >
                > > I was hoping that my M-Audio 25 controller would act as go-between, but the Evo and Sound Tower don't seem to be able to communicate.
                > >
                > > Unless - I'm doing something wrong....?
                > >
                > > Checked every web resource I could find, I hope you guys can give me a make/model.
                > >
                > > Thanks a lot!

              • Tom Wiltshire
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 9, 2011
                  You don't say whether you're talking about the M-Audio Axiom 25 or the Oxygen 25.

                  If you've got the Axiom 25, then you should be able to do it. I've got the Axiom 49 and I use it in a similar setup (Laptop to Axiom via USB cable, Axiom to sound module with MIDI cable).
                  The Oxygen25 has no MIDI plugs at all, which makes it only any use for virtual synths or people with other interfaces. So I'm guessing you've got the Axiom 25, which case it's just a question of getting the various settings on the different bits of kit set up so that everyone talks to each other. It usually involves some faffing about, but isn't particularly difficult - just try various combinations/menu settings systematically.

                  T.