Midi setup help

  • jimh_54
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2010
      Hi everyone,
      I have an evolver and a Tet4a. I have a PCR-800 controller to use with them. Evolvers only have midi connections but both the PCR and Tet4a have midi and USB. I also have a UM880 midi interface. I want to be able to use the Mac (osX 10.6) to use the editors with them and also use the PCR-800 to control them. I am not sure how to best connect it all up. I can see the Tet4a, PCR-800, and the UM880 in the audio midi setup utility but cannot make interconnections between them. I have both midi connected to the um880 and usb connected to the mac.
      Anybody got any helpful hints?
      thanks
    • Scott Lawlor
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2010
        Hi.

        I was reading the specs on the poly evolver PE edition on Sweetwater and it showed that there was no USB connectivity.

        Is this really the case now with this synth and if so, how do you use it with the sound tower editor or is that no longer an option?

        I've got my choice narrowed down to two different synths, being the poly evolver and the nord wave.

        I thought the poly evolver had an arpeggiator but I'm not sure if this is the case either.

        Since I'm not sure where my musical visions will take me, or even what my musical voice will potentially be, I wanted to get a board that has this feature as an option if possible.

        I know the nord wave doesn't have an arpeggiater either but it does have more polyphony than the evolver and it seems to have more places for presets, 1024 as opposed to 384 or 512 for the evolver.

        The one thing I'm not crazy about with the nord is it's 49 keys as opposed to the 61 keys on the evolver.

        I know it's best to try these out side by side when possible but since that's not really an option, I wanted your thoughts.

        If you were wanting to make ambient and electronic music and had to pick one of these boards, which one would you go for and why?

        I'm closer now to making a purchasing decision now than I was a while ago when I joined this list so I'm looking a bit more closely at the options.

        Someone recommended the a6 by Andromeda but it has tons of menus and since menus are horrible for us blind people who can't see the screen, that limits things quite a bit, thus the reason I want something with a ton of real-time control with actual knobs..

        I'm hoping to get something in the next couple of months, after we close on the hew house we're buying.

        Thanks for your thoughts on the matter.
        Scott

      • Iain Bryden
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010

          Evolvers have no USB ports. You’ll need to use the MIDI ports, which means you’ll also need a MIDI interface for your computer.

          I strongly suggest you find an Evolver to demo, and any other synth you’re interested in. My hunch is that the Evlover may not be right for you. It’s a great synth with enormous sound but it doesn’t have any of the modern features you find on many others. IMO it’s stuck in the late 80s. The Mono Evolver Keyboard has a very limited and not very useful arpeggiator, not sure about the Poly.

          -- Iain

[...]

          This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or
          may be CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE
          PROTECTED
          BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) is intended only for the use of
          the
          addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an intended recipient,
          please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
          necessary
          to delete the message completely from your computer system.

          Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the
          Uniform Electronic Transaction Act or any other law of similar
          effect, absent an express statement to the contrary, this e-mail
          message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
          intended
          to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and
          are not otherwise intended to bind this sender,
          barnesandnoble.com
          llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other person or entity.

        • Ravi Ivan Sharma
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2010
            And don't rely on bald negative (or positive) opinions on lists like thus either either.  Better to read up in magazines like sound on sound and other respected ones.