introduction

  • Scott Lawlor
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2010
      Hello.

      I'm thinking about getting one of these poly evolver keyboards.

      I currently have a kurzweil pc3 but since I'm blind, the menus are a bit much for me to memorize and since they roll over and there's no actual zero point, I figured that the evolver might be a good fit.

      I like to feel the control as I work and with all these knobs and switches, I'm hoping this synth will be much more accessible for me.

      I'd like to play more ambient electronic music and the people at sweetwater feel that this might be a good fit for me.

      My inspirations for space and ambient music include people like Tangerine Dream, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Free System Projekt, Jonn Serrie, Radio Massacre International and others.

      I was using the sound tower software with the pc3 and I could go through the default sounds and presets but that was about it.  I don't know how useable this software is for someone who is blind.

      There isn't anywhere locally for me to get my hands on this thing to check it out but I've heard some of the sounds listening to various YouTube videos and it sounds impressive.

      I just wanted to write to say hi and I hope to learn a lot about this unit and gain some tips and tricks along the way.

      Thanks for reading.

      Scott

    • chevytravelleruk
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 19 12:35 AM
        Hi Scott

        I'm a newbie here and have the Mono Evolver Keyboard. It is a truly wonderful keyboard, but I would imagine that for your purposes, the potentiometer version would be better as they will give you more physical feedback to the knobs position and value than the infinite encoders.
        I heard from DSI that they are hoping to offer Pot versions by the end of summer

        hope this helps

        Simon

        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, Scott Lawlor <sklawlor@...> wrote:

        > Hello.
        >
        > I'm thinking about getting one of these poly evolver keyboards.
        >
        > I currently have a kurzweil pc3 but since I'm blind, the menus are a bit much for me to memorize and since they roll over and there's no actual zero point, I figured that the evolver might be a good fit.
        >
        > I like to feel the control as I work and with all these knobs and switches, I'm hoping this synth will be much more accessible for me.
        >
        > I'd like to play more ambient electronic music and the people at sweetwater feel that this might be a good fit for me.
        >
        > My inspirations for space and ambient music include people like Tangerine Dream, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Free System Projekt, Jonn Serrie, Radio Massacre International and others.
        >
        > I was using the sound tower software with the pc3 and I could go through the default sounds and presets but that was about it. I don't know how useable this software is for someone who is blind.
        >
        > There isn't anywhere locally for me to get my hands on this thing to check it out but I've heard some of the sounds listening to various YouTube videos and it sounds impressive.
        >
        > I just wanted to write to say hi and I hope to learn a lot about this unit and gain some tips and tricks along the way.
        >
        > Thanks for reading.
        >
        > Scott

      • James Elliott
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 19 7:01 AM
          Scott,

          I do not have any direct experience with the new polyevolvers with the potentiometer option, however I would imagine it would be much more user friendly for you than your kurzweil - to some degree. There is not a lot of menu diving on the polyevolver however there is some. For example, all of the main envelope, filter, oscillator, and vca controls would have fixed range pots. However, you would still need to be familiar with the ordering of the "destination list" for the third envelope (this has a free mod slot associated with it). I think the LFO controls are still endless encoders though, so you could be spinning those forever. The thing that would make the LFO section a little difficult, and this also applies for the delay's time parameters, is that the frequencey selection is in ascending order followed by clock divisions. So not only would you have to have the "destination list" memorized, you would also have to have the frequency/time/clock divisions memorized as well. Things would become a little tricky with the general modulation section (the modulation routings), the parameter section (where you set things like envelope shape, oscillator slop, and trigger modes), the sequencer section, and of course the global, program, and combo setting menus. Not only will those sections all have endless encoders, you will also need to memorize menu sequences for each of them.

          With that said, I want to state that none of the menus are all that deep though, most are only one page. The only real exceptions would be the global, program, & combo menus. There is almost a one knob or button control for each parameter. For example, there is a knob for each envelope, lfo, filter, vca, oscillator, delay, feedback, and sequencer function. Also, there is a dedicated control for modulation destination for the third envelope and each of the lfo's. There is also a source, destination, and value knob for each parameter in the general modulation section - you just have to be familiar with the ordering of each list for each of the modulation source and destination functions (this also includes the envelope & lfo as mentioned above).

          Overall I don't think the polyevolver will provide as much of a challenge as the kurzweil, however, it won't necessarily be a cakewalk either.

          As far as the polyevolver and ambient music production goes. Well, they go hand in hand. If you could manage to wrap your head around some of the endless encoders, some of the weird parameter listings (like lfo & delay frequency, glide controls, pre-post high pass filter modes, and the pre-post external input volume level) I think you would be rewarded with beautiful evolving soundscapes.

          I hope I've managed to help you along in your journey....

          Take care,
          Jim

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 19 7:39 AM

            Hi James.

            Thanks for the info.

            I was also considering the possibility of a different setup like using a midi controler like the CakeWalk a-800 with a dedicated pc for recording and the omnisphere softsynth.  I'm told though that realtime control with softsynths via midi controlers isn't as standard or as integrated as it could be because different manufacturers have different standards for a lot of this stuff.

            I wonder if there's a keyboard like the poly evolver that doesn't have menus at all?  I was going to look into the arturia origin as well but I don't know a whole lot about that one.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19 8:14 AM
              Scott, unfortunately, I don't know of any new synths that would fit that criteria. The only think I could recommend are classic analogs. I think the most flexible analog polysynths with no menus would be the prophet 5, jupiter 6 & 8, and the oberheims i.e. ob8.

              Stay far far away from the alesis andromeda even though it has at least 150,000 real time controls it probably has as much if not more menu diving than the most complex Kurzweils.

              I know a couple other fellows from other synth mailing lists who have lost their eyesight that might be able to give you some better advice than I.

              Rick Massey: seafox@...
              Veli-Pekka Tätilä: vtatila@...

              I don't know either of them personally, however, I'm sure neither would mind helping you out.

              -Jim

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19 11:38 AM
                Hi James.

                I can use menus to a degree but what I find troublesome in most new gear is
                that they are rolllover menus that don't have a zero point. So when you go
                into a menu on the evolver for instance and come out of it, does it remember
                where you were the next time you enter that same page or does it go back to
                a default place? And when you say the encoders are endless, wouldn't I be
                able to tell where it begins and ends based on the character of the sound
                I'm changing? For instance, and I don't know a whole lot about this so I
                hope my example is accurate. If I apply ring modulation to a sound and keep
                turning the knob for that parameter, eventually wouldn't it get to a point
                where you couldn't physically have that effect going, like you can only have
                so much ring modulation and at some point, with an endless encoder, it will
                cycle back to the point in the parameter adjustment where the effect would
                no longer be present?

                By the way, what's the potentiometer option? I've seen that but don't know
                what it means.

                I'm very new to all this analog stuff in terms of applying it and knowing
                the technical terms for it all. My first keyboard was an ensoniq sq1 and I
                used that for a good many years before I took a break from composing for a
                while. That was a digital board as you'll probably remember. So is the
                destination chain you're talking about something like the following?

                I have a sound and I want to apply some effects to it like an echo delay and
                chorus. Is the destination the same thing as the order in which the effects
                are applied to the dry sound source or is it simpler than that?

                My wife and kid says that I have a propensity to complicate everything and
                professors used to tell me the same thing as well so there's probably some
                truth to that.

                Thanks for the further help.

                I emailed those dudes so hopefully I'll hear something soon.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 20 4:31 AM
                  Hello Scott,

                  even if they are not consider top of the line synths

                  u can have a try at the Roland SH201 and the new GAIA
                  no menus nice simple UI, cheap , good sounding ... straight to the point

                  Andrea

                  I wonder if there's a keyboard like the poly evolver that doesn't have menus at
                  all? I was going to look into the arturia origin as well but I don't know a
                  whole lot about that one.

                  Scott
                • keysolly
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 20 3:34 PM
                    Can I suggest looking at the new Roland Gaia? Or Nord Lead 2x?
                    These have entirely front panel interfaces, no menus, no screen. and are plenty capable too. Perhaps not as complex as the Poly Evolver, and the attraction of 'real analog' is not there, but I reckon it's worth checking out.

                    --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, James Elliott <johans121@...> wrote:

                    > Scott, unfortunately, I don't know of any new synths that would fit that
                    > criteria. The only think I could recommend are classic analogs. I think the most
                    > flexible analog polysynths with no menus would be the prophet 5, jupiter 6 & 8,
                    > and the oberheims i.e. ob8.
                    >

                    > Stay far far away from the alesis andromeda even though it has at least 150,000
                    > real time controls it probably has as much if not more menu diving than the most
                    > complex Kurzweils.
                    >
                    > I know a couple other fellows from other synth mailing lists who have lost their
                    > eyesight that might be able to give you some better advice than I.
                    >

                    > Rick Massey: seafox@...
                    > Veli-Pekka Tätilä: vtatila@...
                    >
                    > I don't know either of them personally, however, I'm sure neither would mind
                    > helping you out.
                    >
                    > -Jim
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Scott Lawlor
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 20 4:27 PM
                      Hi.

                      I had another question about the poly evolver.  Is it a good synth for drones like if I wanted to create a tamboura sound like they use in indian music?

                      Can I suggest looking at the new Roland Gaia? Or Nord Lead 2x?
                      These have entirely front panel interfaces, no menus, no screen. and are plenty capable too. Perhaps not as complex as the Poly Evolver, and the attraction of 'real analog' is not there, but I reckon it's worth checking out.

                      --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, James Elliott <johans121@...> wrote:

                      > Scott, unfortunately, I don't know of any new synths that would fit that
                      > criteria. The only think I could recommend are classic analogs. I think the most
                      > flexible analog polysynths with no menus would be the prophet 5, jupiter 6 & 8,
                      > and the oberheims i.e. ob8.
                      >

                      > Stay far far away from the alesis andromeda even though it has at least 150,000
                      > real time controls it probably has as much if not more menu diving than the most
                      > complex Kurzweils.
                      >
                      > I know a couple other fellows from other synth mailing lists who have lost their
                      > eyesight that might be able to give you some better advice than I.
                      >

                      > Rick Massey: seafox@...
                      > Veli-Pekka Tätilä: vtatila@...
                      >
                      > I don't know either of them personally, however, I'm sure neither would mind
                      > helping you out.
                      >
                      > -Jim
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Sr. Minimo
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 20 5:58 PM
                        You know, the Vermona PerFourMer might just be perfect for you. They recently stopped making them, but its very simple to program with tons of stuff in knobs, 4 voices, all analog, and can make an incredible range of sounds and drones. Plus not expensive at all for what it is. You might find one still in stores like Nova Musik maybe.
                        cheers
                        flavio

                        I had another question about the poly evolver.  Is it a good synth for drones like if I wanted to create a tamboura sound like they use in indian music?

                        Can I suggest looking at the new Roland Gaia? Or Nord Lead 2x?
                        These have entirely front panel interfaces, no menus, no screen. and are plenty capable too. Perhaps not as complex as the Poly Evolver, and the attraction of 'real analog' is not there, but I reckon it's worth checking out.

                        --- In DSI_Evolver@ yahoogroups. com, James Elliott <johans121@.. .> wrote:

                        > Scott, unfortunately, I don't know of any new synths that would fit that
                        > criteria. The only think I could recommend are classic analogs. I think the most
                        > flexible analog polysynths with no menus would be the prophet 5, jupiter 6 & 8,
                        > and the oberheims i.e. ob8.
                        >

                        > Stay far far away from the alesis andromeda even though it has at least 150,000
                        > real time controls it probably has as much if not more menu diving than the most
                        > complex Kurzweils.
                        >
                        > I know a couple other fellows from other synth mailing lists who have lost their
                        > eyesight that might be able to give you some better advice than I.
                        >

                        > Rick Massey: seafox@...
                        > Veli-Pekka Tätilä: vtatila@...
                        >
                        > I don't know either of them personally, however, I'm sure neither would mind
                        > helping you out.
                        >
                        > -Jim
                        >

                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                      • Iain Bryden
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 21 7:28 AM

                          Scroll down to the bottom and listen to “Iain Bryden - Cold Drone.” It’s a droning patch I made for the MER. I don’t think you’ll get a tamboura sound though.

                          http://obelus.com/music/background.asp

                          Regards,

                          -- Iain

                          I had another question about the poly evolver.  Is it a good synth for drones like if I wanted to create a tamboura sound like they use in indian music?

                          Can I suggest looking at the new Roland Gaia? Or Nord Lead 2x?
                          These have entirely front panel interfaces, no menus, no screen. and are plenty capable too. Perhaps not as complex as the Poly Evolver, and the attraction of 'real analog' is not there, but I reckon it's worth checking out.

                          --- In DSI_Evolver@ yahoogroups. com, James Elliott <johans121@.. .> wrote:

                          > Scott, unfortunately, I don't know of any new synths that would fit that
                          > criteria. The only think I could recommend are classic analogs. I think the most
                          > flexible analog polysynths with no menus would be the prophet 5, jupiter 6 & 8,
                          > and the oberheims i.e. ob8.
                          >

                          > Stay far far away from the alesis andromeda even though it has at least 150,000
                          > real time controls it probably has as much if not more menu diving than the most
                          > complex Kurzweils.
                          >
                          > I know a couple other fellows from other synth mailing lists who have lost their
                          > eyesight that might be able to give you some better advice than I.
                          >

                          > Rick Massey: seafox@...
                          > Veli-Pekka Tätilä: vtatila@...
                          >
                          > I don't know either of them personally, however, I'm sure neither would mind
                          > helping you out.
                          >
                          > -Jim
                          >

                          > ____________ _________ _________ __

                          This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or
                          may be CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE
                          PROTECTED
                          BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) is intended only for the use of
                          the
                          addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an intended recipient,
                          please contact the sender immediately and take the steps
                          necessary
                          to delete the message completely from your computer system.

                          Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the
                          Uniform Electronic Transaction Act or any other law of similar
                          effect, absent an express statement to the contrary, this e-mail
                          message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not
                          intended
                          to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and
                          are not otherwise intended to bind this sender,
                          barnesandnoble.com
                          llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other person or entity.

                        • Scott Lawlor
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 8, 2010
                            Hi.
                            what's a potentiometer anyway and how is it different from an encoder?
                            I'm a newbie here and have the Mono Evolver Keyboard. It is a truly wonderful keyboard, but I would imagine that for your purposes, the potentiometer version would be better as they will give you more physical feedback to the knobs position and value than the infinite encoders.
                            I heard from DSI that they are hoping to offer Pot versions by the end of summer

                            hope this helps

                            Simon

                            --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, Scott Lawlor <sklawlor@...> wrote:

                            > Hello.
                            >
                            > I'm thinking about getting one of these poly evolver keyboards.
                            >
                            > I currently have a kurzweil pc3 but since I'm blind, the menus are a bit much for me to memorize and since they roll over and there's no actual zero point, I figured that the evolver might be a good fit.
                            >
                            > I like to feel the control as I work and with all these knobs and switches, I'm hoping this synth will be much more accessible for me.
                            >
                            > I'd like to play more ambient electronic music and the people at sweetwater feel that this might be a good fit for me.
                            >
                            > My inspirations for space and ambient music include people like Tangerine Dream, Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Free System Projekt, Jonn Serrie, Radio Massacre International and others.
                            >
                            > I was using the sound tower software with the pc3 and I could go through the default sounds and presets but that was about it. I don't know how useable this software is for someone who is blind.
                            >
                            > There isn't anywhere locally for me to get my hands on this thing to check it out but I've heard some of the sounds listening to various YouTube videos and it sounds impressive.
                            >
                            > I just wanted to write to say hi and I hope to learn a lot about this unit and gain some tips and tricks along the way.
                            >
                            > Thanks for reading.
                            >
                            > Scott

                          • James Elliott
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 9, 2010
                              An encoder is a physical device which translates user input into a digital signal which is then sent to a cpu of some sort to change digital parameters in a program. A potentiometer uses varying resistance to manipulate voltage differences which are then used to change 'parameters' within a circuit. Similar in function but different execution. An encoder, since it is a digital device, can be rotated in either direction forever and ever if it is designed that way because if you continue to rotate left the values will just continue to get as small, or negative, as the program allows. And vice versa. A potentiometer does not allow that as it has a fixed resistive range built into it. So, there are inherent min and max values i.e. number of turns.

                              -Jim