Evolver DCO popping

  • Anu Kirk
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 10 5:00 PM
      Ok gang, I am about to ruin your Evolver.

      I read this post:
      http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49602&start=0&hilit=dco+pop

      ...and I said, "No this is ridiculous, I have had an Evolver for 4+ years. I've never heard this."

      So I got home, dialed up a simple patch. It's true, it's there, and now that I've heard it, I can't STOP hearing it.

      To repro:
      Create a simple patch using the ANALOG oscillators - one or two. Make sure the envelopes have short attacks.

      Play enough low notes that you cycle all the voices your evolver setup has on the low note - one note should be sufficient for standard MONO setups, 4 for standard POLYs. So, tap a low C 1-4 times.

      Now start to tap some high notes - an octave or two above middle C.

      Listen. What you will hear is that each voice that transitions from a low note to a high note will produce an audible "clopping" - a wide-frequency glitch/click as each voice goes from the low note to the high note.

      Apparently it can't be fixed.

      The digital oscillators don't have this issue.
    • Computer Controlled
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10 10:28 PM
        I know the Mopho has this issue, but i don't ever remember hearing it on
        the Evo. I'll have to give it a listen. But even the popping on the
        Mopho didn't bother me. I just chalked it up to the it's fast EGs =o]

        Anu Kirk wrote:
        > Ok gang, I am about to ruin your Evolver.
        >
        > I read this post:
        > http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49602&start=0&hilit=dco+pop
        >
        > ...and I said, "No this is ridiculous, I have had an Evolver for 4+ years. I've never heard this."
        >
        > So I got home, dialed up a simple patch. It's true, it's there, and now that I've heard it, I can't STOP hearing it.
        >
        > To repro:
        > Create a simple patch using the ANALOG oscillators - one or two. Make sure the envelopes have short attacks.
        >
        > Play enough low notes that you cycle all the voices your evolver setup has on the low note - one note should be sufficient for standard MONO setups, 4 for standard POLYs. So, tap a low C 1-4 times.
        >
        > Now start to tap some high notes - an octave or two above middle C.
        >
        > Listen. What you will hear is that each voice that transitions from a low note to a high note will produce an audible "clopping" - a wide-frequency glitch/click as each voice goes from the low note to the high note.
        >
        > Apparently it can't be fixed.
        >
        > The digital oscillators don't have this issue.

      • yea
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 11 2:31 AM
          Well, since we've all been happily making music with them for a good number of years now, I doubt this is a "ruiner".

          --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, Computer Controlled <acidted@...> wrote:

          > I know the Mopho has this issue, but i don't ever remember hearing it on
          > the Evo. I'll have to give it a listen. But even the popping on the
          > Mopho didn't bother me. I just chalked it up to the it's fast EGs =o]
          >

          > Anu Kirk wrote:
          > > Ok gang, I am about to ruin your Evolver.
          > >
          > > I read this post:
          > > http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49602&start=0&hilit=dco+pop
          > >
          > > ...and I said, "No this is ridiculous, I have had an Evolver for 4+ years. I've never heard this."
          > >
          > > So I got home, dialed up a simple patch. It's true, it's there, and now that I've heard it, I can't STOP hearing it.
          > >
          > > To repro:
          > > Create a simple patch using the ANALOG oscillators - one or two. Make sure the envelopes have short attacks.
          > >
          > > Play enough low notes that you cycle all the voices your evolver setup has on the low note - one note should be sufficient for standard MONO setups, 4 for standard POLYs. So, tap a low C 1-4 times.
          > >
          > > Now start to tap some high notes - an octave or two above middle C.
          > >
          > > Listen. What you will hear is that each voice that transitions from a low note to a high note will produce an audible "clopping" - a wide-frequency glitch/click as each voice goes from the low note to the high note.
          > >
          > > Apparently it can't be fixed.
          > >
          > > The digital oscillators don't have this issue.

        • massimo
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11 4:34 AM
            Well there was some interesting discussion, including the suggestion that an option to have the oscs reset on note-on might stop the effect.

            I don't consider it a problem really.

          • Robert Krueger
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11 8:05 AM
              I tested this on my PER and at first I didn't think what you described was happening. I was listening for a higher pitched audible click of some sort. But then after a few more times I picked up on it. I thought I was hearing the sound of my microKontrol mini keys hitting the the bottom of the board, but it disappeared after cycling through the voices and realized that was what you were describing.  It is there, but if you hadn't mentioned it, I likely never would have realized it. Blended into a mix I doubt you would hear it at all. It's not terrible, but in a critical listen, you can hear it once you find it.

              On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 7:34 AM, massimo <massenmedium@...> wrote:

              Well there was some interesting discussion, including the suggestion that an option to have the oscs reset on note-on might stop the effect.

              I don't consider it a problem really.

            • Horton
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11 3:18 PM
                I actually kind of like it....extra punch