Re:Strange knob behavior on my MEK

  • J Lesser
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 3, 2009
      Hmm... I guess I'm having a hard time believing its an encoder since
      it seems to be happening across ALL the knobs... Is there any
      possibility this is a system-wide issue?

      --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "dankselly" <dannyjive.u5@...> wrote:

      > I contacted DSI tech support and was told it was a bad encoder. I
    • colossalhoagie
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 6, 2009
        Sorry this turned into such a long winded response on this matter. Hopefully it is helpful
        to someone experiencing encoder frustrations.

        I too recently had trouble with multiple encoders on a MEK and ended up laboriously
        replacing every single one with a slightly different type of encoder (i'll get to that in a
        minute). Here are my +/- two cents.

        1. I hate to say it by I doubt that the issue you are having is some type of system wide
        problem. I too was hoping for the same thing. It just seemed like there were *way* too
        many of the encoders that were not working properly. Now that all is said and done I
        realize that it was just a ton of degraded encoders. I get the feeling that the encoders
        that come of the MEK could be of much better quality. Internet/forum searching seems to
        indicate a fair number of difficulties and/or failures.

        Probably 10 of mine were "bad" and 10-13 more that were "occasionally glitchy" and then
        a few more that would on rare occasions jump. To qualify the term "bad" I'll just say that
        there was no way I would have used my MEK live. It would have been embarrassing.
        Crazy jumps in value would happen causing very noticeable changes in audio. I would
        turn knobs up and values would go down...bass vibrations would cause value jumps.

        If you are under warranty you could contact them and they should offer to do a board
        swap (they did for me). Very, very easy to do.

        2. When trying to diagnose the issues with my MEK and isolate which encoders were
        junked I am almost certain that I stumbled onto a bug in v. 1.3 of the MAIN OS for the
        MEK. I don't know if it applies to my particular revisions of PCB or to all out there. I'm
        actually dying to know if any other MEK users out there are experiencing the following:

        When I would run v. 1.3 of the MAIN OS the "param 1" and "param 2" knobs were nearly
        impossible to use. When I reverted back to v. 1.2 which I found here the "param 1" and
        "param 2" encoders were again usable. I swapped out OSs about 10 times to make sure it
        wasn't just a fluke. Totally repeatable. If you are on 1.3 you might try reverting to 1.2 see
        if it fixes any of your encoder touchiness.

        At one point I had mentioned this bug to DSI support in an email...I'm not sure if anything
        ever came of it on DSI's end. It was actually the two encoders mentioned above that
        prompted my requesting a board swap. Once I reverted to 1.2 and things were slightly
        better I told DSI to just forget about it for now and just deal with it...

        3. At some point I decided--warranty be damned--that I was going to replace every
        encoder with brand new, totally different encoders. I was pretty dissatisfied with the ones
        that shipped with the unit and I was convinced that even with new boards that I would run
        into the same issue down the road. So I dug around, did some measuring with calipers,
        read some stuff about encoders and decided to order a fleet of Alps encoders from mouser
        electronics (if anyone wants the part #s I'm more than happy to dig them out).

        I went with 24 detent/24 pulses per rotation for the majority of encoders and 12
        detent/12 pulses per rotation for the param 1 & 2 as well as for the two misc param knobs
        (for those sensitive adjustments...).

        It was a long, tedious job that I wouldn't recommend unless you have a solid amount of
        soldering/desoldering experience, some patience, and some good tools, solder, etc...

        Now everything works perfectly (better than when it first showed up at my door IMHO) and
        I really, really, really enjoy playing my MEK now. Oh, and the bug mentioned above still
        persists.

        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "J Lesser" <j.doerck@...> wrote:

        > Hmm... I guess I'm having a hard time believing its an encoder since
        > it seems to be happening across ALL the knobs... Is there any
        > possibility this is a system-wide issue?
        >
        > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "dankselly" <dannyjive.u5@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I contacted DSI tech support and was told it was a bad encoder. I

      • Danny
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 7, 2009
          Actually, It was just the one knob. I got my new one the other day and so far so good..........

          On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:14 PM, J Lesser <j.doerck@...> wrote:

          Hmm... I guess I'm having a hard time believing its an encoder since
          it seems to be happening across ALL the knobs... Is there any
          possibility this is a system-wide issue?

          --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "dankselly" <dannyjive.u5@...> wrote:

          > I contacted DSI tech support and was told it was a bad encoder. I

        • Ray
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 13, 2009
            I'm thinking about replacing all the encoders on my PEK with better quality ones. Would it be possible to let us know which Alps encoders you used when you did your MEK?

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 16, 2009
              Any chance I can get the part numbers on those Alps encoders you used. I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my PEK.

            • X + Z = 0
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 19, 2009
                i had problemes too, it went from 1 to a dozen over some time
                never had problemes with the parameter knobs
                i did the dexoit thing like 4 months ago and still no problem anymore,
                works like new.

> [...]
                > > detent/12 pulses per rotation for the param 1 & 2 as well as for the
                > two misc param knobs
                > > (for those sensitive adjustments...).
                > >
                > > It was a long, tedious job that I wouldn't recommend unless you have
                > a solid amount of
                > > soldering/desoldering experience, some patience, and some good
                > tools, solder, etc...
                > >
                > > Now everything works perfectly (better than when it first showed up
                > at my door IMHO) and
                > > I really, really, really enjoy playing my MEK now. Oh, and the bug
                > mentioned above still
                > > persists.
                > >

                > > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:DSI_Evolver%40yahoogroups.com>, "J Lesser" <j.doerck@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hmm... I guess I'm having a hard time believing its an encoder since
                > > > it seems to be happening across ALL the knobs... Is there any
                > > > possibility this is a system-wide issue?

                http://xpluszequalszero.blogspot.com/
                http://www.myspace.com/wravenveerendegebarstehoofden
              • colossalhoagie
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 21, 2009
                  I just dug up my receipt and found the following parts numbers:

                  --For the ALPS 24 detent/pulse encoders try:   EC12E24204A9
                  --For the ALPS 12 detent/pulse encoders try:   EC12E1220405

                  I suggest you go to the mouser website and search for those part numbers just to make sure.  There should be links provided to the relevant data sheets as well.  If you search around you might be able to find some without detents, if that is something you prefer.  What ever you get be sure to watch out for shaft length so you don't get encoders that are either too long or short.

                  If you go this route, good luck!  I thought it was a lot of tedious work but sooooo worth it.  I'm still glitch free since the switch and still happy with the results.  I you need any more info or help let me know.

                  --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Ray" <ray@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > >
                  > > I went with 24 detent/24 pulses per rotation for the majority of encoders and 12
                  > > detent/12 pulses per rotation for the param 1 & 2 as well as for the two misc param knobs
                  > > (for those sensitive adjustments...).
                  > >
                  > > It was a long, tedious job that I wouldn't recommend unless you have a solid amount of
                  > > soldering/desoldering experience, some patience, and some good tools, solder, etc...
                  > >
                  > > Now everything works perfectly (better than when it first showed up at my door IMHO) and
                  > > I really, really, really enjoy playing my MEK now. Oh, and the bug mentioned above still
                  > > persists.
                  > >

                  > > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "J Lesser" <j.doerck@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hmm... I guess I'm having a hard time believing its an encoder since
                  > > > it seems to be happening across ALL the knobs... Is there any
                  > > > possibility this is a system-wide issue?

                • denkom
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 23, 2009
                    Me too - I had problems starting with just one or two knobs, but it got up to about a dozen or so, including (for me) critical knobs like filter cutoff and parameter amount. It had gotten so bad that the knobs were basically unusable in a live situation.

                    I contacted DSI and they sent out (for free!) a tube of Deoxit which I used to treat every encoder on the keyboard (not just the ones that were acting funny), and now it is like I have a brand new keyboard again. Everything is working perfectly.

                    Matt

                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 25, 2009
                      Hey, thanks so much! Let me ask you a few more questions...

                      After you replaced them they worked perfectly? Any issues at all?
                      Do you think it's necessary to use the 12's? Could I use all 24's?
                      How do you like having detented for parameters you might want to adjust live like filter frequency and resonance?

                      Thanks

                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 27, 2009
                        Yep, everything worked perfect...the only issue is the bug that I described in my original post where the "param 1 & 2" encoders were tweaky as hell with OS 1.3 but not OS 1.2. However, that was something that was most definitely present before and after the "surgery" and was easily remedied by downgrading.

                        As for the encoders with 12 vs. 24 detents...that was just a matter of personal preference. I only used the encoders with 12 detents on the param 1 & 2 knobs. With those it takes more physical rotation to move up or down in values. I find that useful in some situations.

                        As for the "feel" of encoders with detents, doesn't bother me at all. The Alps encoders I used don't have huge, jarring notches or anything like that. It mostly seems to be a head game...I think I can execute a manual filter sweep just a smoothly as before, and I honestly kind of like the gentle tactile feedback they provide.

                        Again, if you have need more info don't hesitate to ask.