Re: [DSI Synths] Wavestation > Evolver

  • haroldland2
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      Thanks Peter, but Foot Controller amount = 0 & destination = Off.
      The general purpose Mod sources are something I didn't think of, the
      Evolver is so deep & wide, but unfortunately that's not the answer
      either. None of the 4 Mod sources were Foot & none of the
      destinations were Dist. Then I realized these are all patch
      parameters, saved with each patch, and my problem occurs with all
      patches, so there's another reason this couldn't be the solution.

      I came up with a few workarounds, but I hate to have to compromise.
      - Make sure Evolver isn't sounding when I switch the Wavestation
      effects. Even tho it works as a latching On/Off switch in the WvStn,
      it affects the Evolver Dist as a momentary, 'switch on' turns it up to
      99 & 'switch off' returns it to 0. BUT if there is a level programed
      for Dist, 'switch off' still returns it to 0, so I could mess up an
      Evolver patch.
      - Not assign the switch to FX Switch. It can also be assigned to Vol,
      Prog Chg, Mod Pedal, Sustain or Off, and (or but) it transmits all of
      these to Evolver. But do I use FX on/off frequently and I already
      have Sus & Mod (Expression) pedals.
      - Disable the Wavestation's MIDI Controller Transmit, and use my FX
      switch as I do now, but I wouldn't be able to send control info to
      Evolver, except for Aftertouch, Velocity, & Pitch Wheel. The least
      objectionable option but severely limiting real time control of Evolver.
      - Find another way to switch Wavestation FX...

      rereading the manual
      Harold Land

      --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, peter sedin <midihooker@...> wrote:

      > it sounds like distortion is set as modulation destination in
      evolver:-) and fotswitch is set as the modulation source.. look at the
      matrix printed on the evolver, dont have it a front of me, but i think
      to the buttom right is the location for this, you can turn it off, or
      set any other dest you like..
      > have fun..
      > peter
      >
      > haroldland2 <haroldland2@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I'm new to this list, I just got Evolver #3238 (ver 3.0) last week, to
      > add some real analogue to my arsenal. I have started reading the
      > archives & I'm also working thru the forum at EX5Tech. I'm mainly a
      > guitarist but I like to program funny noises too. I started with
      > synths way back in the day with a Korg Poly 6, added the rack mount
      > Korg EX 800, went through a Juno 106, & then to a DX7. My current
      > setup is very Dave, I am using a Wavestation EX MIDIed to the Evolver.
      >
      > Since I am not real fluent in MIDI, CC messages & such, & there is one
      > bit of weirdness I can't figure out, here is my question for you.
      > I have a momentary footswitch set up as an Effects Switch (Assignable
      > Pedal/Switch 1) on the Wavestation. If it is sending CC it is #4,
      > which is not listed as received in the Evolver's manual. When I press
      > the footswitch, the Evolver distortion is cranked up to 99. I also
      > tried an Expression Pedal instead of the momentary switch, and pressed
      > 1/2 way down, the distortion again switches from 0 to 99. Distortion
      > is CC # 12, but according to the Wavestation's manual, it only sends
      > CC #s 1, 4, 6, 7, 15, 17, 38, 64, 100 & 101 (most of which sadly the
      > EVO does not receive). And this is not really continuous control
      > either since the dist. goes from 0 straight to 99.
      > What is happening ???
      >
      > thanks for any advice you can give
      > regards
      > Harold Land

    • Brian Rost
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "haroldland2" <haroldland2@...>
        wrote:> Distortion
        > is CC # 12, but according to the Wavestation's manual, it only sends
        > CC #s 1, 4, 6, 7, 15, 17, 38, 64, 100 & 101 (most of which sadly the
        > EVO does not receive).

        Interestingly enough, the MIDI spec states the standard usage for
        CC#12 is "Effect Control 1" and you are using your footswitch to
        switch Wavestation FX on and off...

        Brian
      • haroldland2
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
          I emailed Dave since he also had a hand in making the Wavestation, and
          he directed me to a program called Midiox. It shows that the
          Wavestation is indeed sending CC # 12 as on/off. I guess I need a
          midi filter. Does anyone have suggestions for a small inline unit
          that can filter specific CC #s.

          regards
          Harold

          --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Rost" <hubcapbrian@...> wrote:

          > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "haroldland2" <haroldland2@>
          > wrote:> Distortion
          > > is CC # 12, but according to the Wavestation's manual, it only sends
          > > CC #s 1, 4, 6, 7, 15, 17, 38, 64, 100 & 101 (most of which sadly the
          > > EVO does not receive).
          >
          > Interestingly enough, the MIDI spec states the standard usage for
          > CC#12 is "Effect Control 1" and you are using your footswitch to
          > switch Wavestation FX on and off...
          >
          > Brian

        • Dale
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2008
            midi ox is a wonderful tool
            midi yoke too

            you can use midi ox as a filter btw ...

            dale

            Ready to take your music to new levels?
            Serious_Musicians@yahoogroups.com

            I emailed Dave since he also had a hand in making the Wavestation, and
            he directed me to a program called Midiox.  It shows that the
            Wavestation is indeed sending CC # 12 as on/off.  I guess I need a
            midi filter.  Does anyone have suggestions for a small inline unit
            that can filter specific CC #s.

            regards
            Harold
          • Ben
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2008
              If you need a hardware box, have a look at midisolutions there might be
              something for you.

              Ben