Re: SoundTower Poly/Evolver Editor upgrade v.4.0 Beta

  • tremorcore
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 24, 2008
      Hi Derek et al,

      I spent some time with the 4.0 beta this morning (XP 32-bit) ... it
      looks to be a great update. The wave-draw screen is nice, and the
      sequencer window is much friendlier. Thumbs up.

      I use a Wacom tablet for just about everything that's GUI-based (mouse
      = RSI)so my experience may be a bit different than others.
      Regardless, I'm going to chime in on a few points:

      1) Yup, linear knob control is a must. As it stands, your
      implementation of the "circular" method is usable/not awful, but
      "linear" is the standard for a reason.

      2) I was surprised by the dimensions of the 'flow' editor. It's 1680
      pixels wide, and *just* fits on my 22" monitor. I like it this size,
      but I can see where it'd be a pain on lower-rez screens. A scalable
      UI would be nice. (Synth1 is a free VSTi that has a fully scalable
      UI. They, too, sacrificed 3D render'd beauty for better usability.
      http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/)

      3) "Generic" view doesn't show any window at all when I select it. I
      have to switch back to "flow" and then hit the "edit program" button
      to get the edit window back.

      4) I understand why the LFO & Sequencer "Destination" uses the pop-up
      window, and I don't mind it at all. However, the window itself should
      be labeled with the destination function we're choosing. In other
      words, if I leave the window up and click around the editor's
      different "destination" points, the window title bar should indicate
      what destination I'm editing. Right now it says "destination" only.

      5) The Continuous Controllers panel isn't vertically re-sizable
      (though the cursor changes to the "resize" icon).

      6) I don't mind the envelope color :)... but if we're being picky, the
      brown in the bank select and program genetics window is pretty puke-y.
      I think the OSC section could be a little more visually
      differentiated. A darker (or lighter) horizontal band behind the 2nd
      and 4th oscillator knob rows would set each oscillator apart.

      That's it for now. Great stuff.

      - Dan
    • soundtower_helpdesk
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 5, 2008
        Hi Dan,

        Thank you very much for your comments; both critical and kind.

        I had a chit chat with programming and here is a summary of the
        conversation:

        1) The slider/knob debate is an odd one for us. I believe we wil
        stick to our guns on that one by keeping radial it as default but
        color and mouse movement will go to a 'preferences' section (not
        sure on implementation they will come up with) - each user will be
        able to choose one or the over.

        2) Actually we have developed the very first resizable editing
        screens for MIDI editing software as far as we know: (see Software
        for the Moog Voyager) so we are familiar with this concept. It is
        labor intensive so it may be recreated in the DSI editor later on.

        3) that's better than restarting the app...

        4) Good point. We will reset the window caption.

        5) Will check.

        6) We just followed the PEK panel coloring. I would not be a good
        idea to alternate blue colors for 4 oscillators because then someone
        would rightly point out that OSC 1 and 2 (analog) are different than
        OSC 3 and 4. Highlighting all of them with different color would be
        a little too much.

        This should be dealt with starting today.

        Thanks again and best regards,
        Derek
        www.soundtower.com

        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "tremorcore" <tanklogic@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Derek et al,
        >
        > I spent some time with the 4.0 beta this morning (XP 32-bit) ... it
        > looks to be a great update. The wave-draw screen is nice, and the
        > sequencer window is much friendlier. Thumbs up.
        >
        > I use a Wacom tablet for just about everything that's GUI-based
        (mouse
        > = RSI)so my experience may be a bit different than others.
        > Regardless, I'm going to chime in on a few points:
        >
        > 1) Yup, linear knob control is a must. As it stands, your
        > implementation of the "circular" method is usable/not awful, but
        > "linear" is the standard for a reason.
        >
        > 2) I was surprised by the dimensions of the 'flow' editor. It's
        1680
        > pixels wide, and *just* fits on my 22" monitor. I like it this
        size,
        > but I can see where it'd be a pain on lower-rez screens. A
        scalable
        > UI would be nice. (Synth1 is a free VSTi that has a fully scalable
        > UI. They, too, sacrificed 3D render'd beauty for better usability.
        > http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/)
        >
        > 3) "Generic" view doesn't show any window at all when I select
        it. I
        > have to switch back to "flow" and then hit the "edit program"
        button
        > to get the edit window back.
        >
        > 4) I understand why the LFO & Sequencer "Destination" uses the pop-
        up
        > window, and I don't mind it at all. However, the window itself
        should
        > be labeled with the destination function we're choosing. In other
        > words, if I leave the window up and click around the editor's
        > different "destination" points, the window title bar should
        indicate
        > what destination I'm editing. Right now it says "destination"
        only.

        > 5) The Continuous Controllers panel isn't vertically re-sizable
        > (though the cursor changes to the "resize" icon).
        >
        > 6) I don't mind the envelope color :)... but if we're being picky,
        the
        > brown in the bank select and program genetics window is pretty
        puke-y.
        > I think the OSC section could be a little more visually
        > differentiated. A darker (or lighter) horizontal band behind the
        2nd
        > and 4th oscillator knob rows would set each oscillator apart.
        >
        > That's it for now. Great stuff.
        >
        > - Dan

      • sockmonkeyresearch
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 8, 2008
          I'm trying out the 4.01 beta from the ST site this evening (mostly doing some bank
          maintenance - my comments don't relate to the editor itself, you'll see), and have run into a
          few things, some of what other people have mentioned, but here's a few of my own. I'm on
          OSX (PPC)

          1. Choose Save All Evolver Data calls up a Save dialog TWICE. The two files saved appear to be
          identical.

          2. When renaming a patch, editor key commands like Command-A, Command-C,
          Command-V don't work, which makes certain tedious renaming tasks much more tedious.

          3. Although I can navigate around the bank lists with the keyboard, I can't actually _select_ an
          entry in the list. Enter opens the editor for the last-clicked bank. Ideally, something like the
          space bar would recall the selected patch (without opening the editor), for quick
          auditioning/renaming, etc.

          Thanks
          Jeremy
        • hodsonmonster
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 21, 2008
            Hi there, Ive been trying out the new editor and the main problem I have with it is that if you
            click on a dial it jumps a few steps! It would be great to be able to grab a dial anywhere and
            be able to turn it without it jumping a few steps first! Is this do-able?

            Other than that, I have to say I liked the layout design in the previous release.
            It works great on my little powerbook g4 and my G5 PPC but it would be great to be able to
            choose to see the editor either big or small at any time. Is this do-able?

            Keep up the great work!