Evolver sequencer reset problem

  • Esef
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2008
      Question about my desktop Evolver (version 3)
      When i start the sequencer and send a midi note to the Evolver it resets the sequencer to step
      1.
      This only happens with the first midi note being send. The sequencer keeps running after
      that and isn't reset by any other notes being send.

      Of course i assumed i'd selected the wrong "Trigger select" mode. But that's not the case.
      It's not on one of the Reset modes.

      I tried a different midi source, same problem.

      Example:
      I go to Trigger select and choose "SEQ". Press start and the sequencer starts running.
      Then i want to change tuning of the sequence by sending a note number through midi.
      As soon as i hit a key the sequencer resets to step 1 (which i don't want).
      Any other keys hit after that will not reset the sequencer.

      Do other Evolver owners experience the same?
    • evening_soundgate
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
        Confirmed on MED v3.0

        I followed the instructions mentioned below and had the same result: a
        playing sequence resets to beat 1 when it receives the first note-on
        message.

        (I'll check it with the MEK/PEK tonight.)

        I guess DSI should add this to the bug list for v4.0 .

        peace,

        john

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
          Thanks for checking John!

          There are 2 other weird things i'd like to have confirmed before i contact DSI.

          - Go to Trigger Select and choose the last mode "NnC" (each incoming midi note will
          advance the sequencer one step). Start the sequencer and send a midi note.
          Notice how it doesn't play step 1. Instead it starts with step 2.

          - the Key Mode parameter (row 1, shift, knob 8) has 6 different modes (see manual page
          43). But when i keep turning the knob it cycles through the 6 options 4 times before it
          stops. The cycle of 4 times the same parameters doesn't make any sense to me.

          --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "evening_soundgate" <evening@...> wrote:

          > Confirmed on MED v3.0
          >
          > I followed the instructions mentioned below and had the same result: a
          > playing sequence resets to beat 1 when it receives the first note-on
          > message.
          >
          > (I'll check it with the MEK/PEK tonight.)
          >
          > I guess DSI should add this to the bug list for v4.0 .
          >
          > peace,
          >
          > john
          >

          > --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Esef" <esef3000@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Question about my desktop Evolver (version 3)
          > > When i start the sequencer and send a midi note to the Evolver it
          > resets the sequencer to step 1.
          > > This only happens with the first midi note being send. The sequencer
          > keeps running after
          > > that and isn't reset by any other notes being send.
          > >
          > > Of course i assumed i'd selected the wrong "Trigger select" mode.
          > But that's not the case.
          > > It's not on one of the Reset modes.
          > >
          > > I tried a different midi source, same problem.
          > >
          > > Example:
          > > I go to Trigger select and choose "SEQ". Press start and the
          > sequencer starts running.
          > > Then i want to change tuning of the sequence by sending a note
          > number through midi.
          > > As soon as i hit a key the sequencer resets to step 1 (which i don't
          > want).
          > > Any other keys hit after that will not reset the sequencer.
          > >
          > > Do other Evolver owners experience the same?

        • John Wieczorek
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2008
            Esef,

            My MED behaves as you describe below.

            My guess about #2 is just that the encoder has 24 detents and there's probably some code function that needs to be included in order for it to wrap around.

            best,

            john

            PS: I didn't get to check out the keyboard versions

            On Jan 3, 2008, at 3:20 PM, Esef wrote:

            Thanks for checking John!

            There are 2 other weird things i'd like to have confirmed before i contact DSI.

            - Go to Trigger Select and choose the last mode "NnC" (each incoming midi note will
            advance the sequencer one step). Start the sequencer and send a midi note.
            Notice how it doesn't play step 1. Instead it starts with step 2.

            - the Key Mode parameter (row 1, shift, knob 8) has 6 different modes (see manual page
            43). But when i keep turning the knob it cycles through the 6 options 4 times before it
            stops. The cycle of 4 times the same parameters doesn't make any sense to me.

          • esef3000
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
              Thanks again.
              I'll contact DSI about this.
              Feel free to reply later when you've checked the MEK and PEK.

              --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, John Wieczorek <evening@...> wrote:

              > Esef,
              >
              > My MED behaves as you describe below.
              >
              > My guess about #2 is just that the encoder has 24 detents and there's
              > probably some code function that needs to be included in order for it
              > to wrap around.
              >
              > best,
              >
              > john
              >
              > PS: I didn't get to check out the keyboard versions

            • rndm
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2008
                Hi

                Does anyone know if Dave is planning a V4.0 update? If so, has there been any confirmation as to what it will consist of? An apreggiator for the desktop model would be fantastic....

                Paul

                I followed the instructions mentioned below and had the same result: a
                playing sequence resets to beat 1 when it receives the first note-on
                message.

                (I'll check it with the MEK/PEK tonight.)

                I guess DSI should add this to the bug list for v4.0 .

                peace,

                john

                --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Esef" <esef3000@...> wrote:

                > Question about my desktop Evolver (version 3)
                > When i start the sequencer and send a midi note to the Evolver it
                resets the sequencer to step
                > 1.
                > This only happens with the first midi note being send. The sequencer
                keeps running after
                > that and isn't reset by any other notes being send.
                >
                > Of course i assumed i'd selected the wrong "Trigger select" mode.
                But that's not the case.
                > It's not on one of the Reset modes.
                >
                > I tried a different midi source, same problem.
                >
                > Example:
                > I go to Trigger select and choose "SEQ". Press start and the
                sequencer starts running.
                > Then i want to change tuning of the sequence by sending a note
                number through midi.
                > As soon as i hit a key the sequencer resets to step 1 (which i don't
                want).
                > Any other keys hit after that will not reset the sequencer.
                >
                > Do other Evolver owners experience the same?

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • rory_dow
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
                  The Key Mode thing makes sense. There are actually 4 versions of the 6
                  Key Mode parameters. The four versions are Poly, Mono, Unison1 and
                  Unison2. They won't affect a mono Evolver like the MED or MEK unless
                  there is more than one linked together using the Poly Chain feature for
                  more polyphony.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 9, 2008
                    Okay, thanks for clarifying that one.
                    The MED manual doesn't mention it.