Which Evolver?

  • Iain Bryden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2007
      Which Evolver?

      Hi,

      (resending this message. The mail client deleted by subject title)

      I joined this group since I'm interested in buying an Evolver. I played both the Mono and Poly keyboards at Guitar Center. Both sound great, but the Poly Evolver keyboard ($2400) is more than I can spend so I'm considering the other models.

      Other than the keyboard and the large number encoders, what's the difference between a Mono Evolver Keyboard and the desktop version? Same question for the Poly KB and the Poly rack.

      Is it possible to chain multiple mono units together to get 2, 3, 4, + notes of polyphony? Maybe I can eventually build up to a Poly by stacking Monos.

      Am I correct in assuming that the Poly models can function like four independent Mono models, each with their own MIDI channel and patch setting?

      Other than the number of voices and number of keys, what's the difference between the Mono and Poly keyboards?

      Can the Mono Evolver desktop plus a keyboard controller such as Novation ReMOTE or M-Audio Axiom do a good job of replacing the Evolver keyboard?

      I'm strongly considering getting a Mono Evolver tabletop ($600), but I don't want to get it and wish I had saved for the keyboard version ($1200).

      Sorry if these are common and way too basic questions but I've been unable to find adequate answers.

      -- Iain

      Iain Bryden
      (212) 414.6044
      www.barnesandnoble.com
      computer programmer

      This electronic mail message contains information that (a) is or
      may be CONFIDENTIAL, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED
      BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) is intended only for the use of the
      addressee(s) named herein. If you are not an intended recipient,
      please contact the sender immediately and take the steps necessary
      to delete the message completely from your computer system.

      Not Intended as a Substitute for a Writing: Notwithstanding the
      Uniform Electronic Transaction Act or any other law of similar
      effect, absent an express statement to the contrary, this e-mail
      message, its contents, and any attachments hereto are not intended
      to represent an offer or acceptance to enter into a contract and
      are not otherwise intended to bind this sender, barnesandnoble.com
      llc, barnesandnoble.com inc. or any other person or entity.

    • RWKJ@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
        HI, I own a pek and There's two modes of operation: program and combo mode. in combo mode you can independently control each voice. the pek has the same voice architecture as evolver x's four and you can chain multiple units either, mono or poly units for additional polyphony up to 16 voices if i'm not mistaken. When determining which unit to get, the first two big questions that I'd ask myself is this: 1-Is this for studio or live use and 2-do I prefer a menu or knob per function control panel. If your doing, mostly studio work and don't mind menus heck, I'd spring for the poly rack. It's more of a preference thing I guess. you could achieve more cost effective polyphony by sticking with the racks but, I feel that the keyboard versions are more intuitive to use when everthing is laid out in front of you. If price is an issue and your goal is a polyphonic synth and don't mind menus go with the poly rack. For another hundred or hundred fifty bucks more than the mek you have not one but, four voices and how sweet it is!!! Then, down the road you can spring for the keyboard version which seamlessly works with your poly rack without eating up all the channels on your mixer!!!!!!!!!! Good luck-Bob

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2007
          Hi Rob,
          Thank you for the info. I decided to buy the desktop model because it's half price below the MEK, one voice seems to be powerful enough for now, and I can get one right away without having to save up more money. Plus, the matrix interface doesn't seem to bother too may people in the reviews I've read. I've got one on order from Guitar Center ($450 with a 10% off voucher). If later I feel like one voice isn't enough I'll get another, or maybe an Alesis A6 Andromeda for some diversity.

          -- Iain