Aliasing and User Waveforms

  • keyboardgod2000
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
      Just wondered if there is a way to minimize the aliasing feature?
      Would loading user waveforms achieve this?It's great to be able to
      just flick thru the waveshapes on the digital oscillators but the
      aliasing on all of them bar no. 1 renders the sound far less useful as
      a plain "smooth" lead sound up high.
      Anyone else slightly frustrated with this too?

      On another note, I'd love to see different keymodes on each of the
      oscillators....yeh yeh I should have bought the rack etc.

      And a global disable of the delay lines.

      I have a few other feature "requests".Are these firstly doable, and if
      not , asking too much......I love the personality of the instrument
      but one always wants more.
      Cheers
    • Tony Scharf
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
        > Just wondered if there is a way to minimize the aliasing feature?
        > Would loading user waveforms achieve this?It's great to be
        > able to just flick thru the waveshapes on the digital
        > oscillators but the aliasing on all of them bar no. 1 renders
        > the sound far less useful as a plain "smooth" lead sound up high.
        > Anyone else slightly frustrated with this too?

        No offense, but why did you buy an evolver if you don't like the aliasing?
        It says in the ad copy, the spec sheet and everywhere that it aliases. It
        is just a part of its 8 bit grungy sound.

        > On another note, I'd love to see different keymodes on each
        > of the oscillators....yeh yeh I should have bought the rack etc.

        I don't know where that would get you, as the individual oscillators would
        still be processed through one filter and amplifier section and envelopes.

        Tony
      • MuzikB
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
          A way around it is to use sine wave like patterns in
          the digital oscillators this makes it less obvious but
          Dave left all the magic of the older Prophet VS in
          there because some folks liked those qualities about
          the VS.

          The aliasing is part of the character of the synth.
          Try to use it to your advantage.

          --- keyboardgod2000 <ronaldroy@...> wrote:

          > Just wondered if there is a way to minimize the
          > aliasing feature?
          > Would loading user waveforms achieve this?It's great
          > to be able to
          > just flick thru the waveshapes on the digital
          > oscillators but the
          > aliasing on all of them bar no. 1 renders the sound
          > far less useful as
          > a plain "smooth" lead sound up high.
          > Anyone else slightly frustrated with this too?
          >
          > On another note, I'd love to see different keymodes
          > on each of the
          > oscillators....yeh yeh I should have bought the rack
          > etc.
          >
          > And a global disable of the delay lines.
          >
          > I have a few other feature "requests".Are these
          > firstly doable, and if
          > not , asking too much......I love the personality of
          > the instrument
          > but one always wants more.
          > Cheers

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ravi Ivan Sharma
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
            I don't think that not liking aliasing would keep anyone from buying an evolver. It offers so much other than the digital waveforms. hardly a deal breaker.

            The question is a good question and a fair one. The aliasing is what was present on the waveforms from the VS. A user waveform may be perhaps lessen it, but likely not much. It is a limitation/feature of the Evolver. The aliasing sounds cool to some folks. Those who don't want it, need to avoid the digital waveforms up high and rely on the analog oscillators, which of course don't have any.
            > Just wondered if there is a way to minimize the aliasing feature?
            > Would loading user waveforms achieve this?It's great to be
            > able to just flick thru the waveshapes on the digital
            > oscillators but the aliasing on all of them bar no. 1 renders
            > the sound far less useful as a plain "smooth" lead sound up high.
            > Anyone else slightly frustrated with this too?

            No offense, but why did you buy an evolver if you don't like the aliasing?
            It says in the ad copy, the spec sheet and everywhere that it aliases.  It
            is just a part of its 8 bit grungy sound.

            > On another note, I'd love to see different keymodes on each
            > of the oscillators....yeh yeh I should have bought the rack etc.

            I don't know where that would get you, as the individual oscillators would
            still be processed through one filter and amplifier section and envelopes.

            Tony

          • Carbon111
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
              keyboardgod2000 wrote:
              > Just wondered if there is a way to minimize the aliasing feature?
              > Would loading user waveforms achieve this?

              Yes, user waveforms hardly alias at all...

              Best Regards, James
            • keyboardgod2000
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2006
                Thanks for the replies....very quick too!
                I'll try some user defined waveshapes and see what happens.I haven't
                delved there yet.
                The aliasing"feature" obviously hasn't stopped me from buying one and
                can see/hear the attraction.I merely was hoping to use the Evolver in
                other ways as well.Great synth!!

                --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "Ravi Ivan Sharma"
                <sharmalaw1@...> wrote:

                > I don't think that not liking aliasing would keep anyone from buying
                an evolver. It offers so much other than the digital waveforms. hardly
                a deal breaker.

                > The question is a good question and a fair one. The aliasing is what
                was present on the waveforms from the VS. A user waveform may be
                perhaps lessen it, but likely not much. It is a limitation/feature of
                the Evolver. The aliasing sounds cool to some folks. Those who don't
                want it, need to avoid the digital waveforms up high and rely on the
                analog oscillators, which of course don't have any.

                Service.