Where/how did you learn to program synths?

  • eduartem
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2005
      Where/how did you learn to program synths?

      Because I the more i try the more i want to quit. I found the default
      patch in my micron and start trying to make some pad... I suck even on
      that. I ended with a mess that could be useful maybe in a 50's sci fi
      movie!! :(
    • justmullaya
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
        I started on a Roland Juno-60. This was great because it only had 1
        oscillator (not including the sub), 2 filters and 1 envelope (if I
        remember rightly). The simplicity of it meant it was really easy to
        hear what each thing did to the sound. But it still took a while to
        grasp what was fully going on. I'd recommend reading something on the
        basics of synthesis (subtractive mainly). You'll find this sort of
        information in a lot of synth manuals or online. The evolver is
        definitely not a "my first synth" and would send anyone new to it
        running. Took me a few days to get my head around it!
        Nice pads aren't the easiest things to program either.

        --- In DSI_Evolver@yahoogroups.com, "eduartem" <eduartem@y...> wrote:
        > Where/how did you learn to program synths?
        >
        > Because I the more i try the more i want to quit. I found the default
        > patch in my micron and start trying to make some pad... I suck even
        on
        > that. I ended with a mess that could be useful maybe in a 50's sci fi
        > movie!! :(
      • Scott Kellogg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
          Hmm, pads, nice. Would you care to give some tips (or maybe an
          example) on how to program them? I'm still at the 'bleepy sequence'
          stage of Evolver badassitude.

          /Scott

          --
          "Whenever a new musical technology appears, new forms of music follow
          it."
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
            eduartem said on 7/1/2005 10:30 PM:
            > Where/how did you learn to program synths?
            >
            > Because I the more i try the more i want to quit. I found the default
            > patch in my micron and start trying to make some pad... I suck even on
            > that. I ended with a mess that could be useful maybe in a 50's sci fi
            > movie!! :(

            The only way to learn is to do it. I learned my programming by
            programming synths for the last 15 years.

            I think the most helpful instruments in this regard were my Juno 106 and
            later my Korg Prophecy (which I still have). The Juno 106, in
            particular, had a very simple architecture and a one slider per function
            interface.

            A good approach is to start with an 'initialized' patch, and then just
            play with different subsets of parameters to get a feel for what they
            do. Once you feel comfortable and get your head around what, say, the
            filter cutoff and resonance controlls do, you move on to the LFO's and
            play with PWM a bit.

            Good synthesis takes time - 99% of the sounds a synth is capable of
            producing will be crap - particularly if you go overboard with
            modulation (which is how you get those 1950's sci-fi sounds). Start
            small, and build from there. look at existing sounds you like, and try
            to edit from them.

            that said, I am not suprised your having trouble with the micron. its
            UI is about as crap as they get IMHO. the Ion is MUCH MUCH better in
            this regard.

            Tony
          • Brooks Mosher
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
              i learned on a DX-7 with a broken LCD....

              okay, just kidding...

              On 7/6/05, Tony Scharf <tony@...> wrote:
              > eduartem said on 7/1/2005 10:30 PM:
              > > Where/how did you learn to program synths?
              > >
              > > Because I the more i try the more i want to quit. I found the default
              > > patch in my micron and start trying to make some pad... I suck even on
              > > that. I ended with a mess that could be useful maybe in a 50's sci fi
              > > movie!! :(
              > >

              > The only way to learn is to do it. I learned my programming by
              > programming synths for the last 15 years.
              >
              > I think the most helpful instruments in this regard were my Juno 106 and
              > later my Korg Prophecy (which I still have). The Juno 106, in
              > particular, had a very simple architecture and a one slider per function
              > interface.
              >
              > A good approach is to start with an 'initialized' patch, and then just
              > play with different subsets of parameters to get a feel for what they
              > do. Once you feel comfortable and get your head around what, say, the
              > filter cutoff and resonance controlls do, you move on to the LFO's and
              > play with PWM a bit.
              >
              > Good synthesis takes time - 99% of the sounds a synth is capable of
              > producing will be crap - particularly if you go overboard with
              > modulation (which is how you get those 1950's sci-fi sounds). Start
              > small, and build from there. look at existing sounds you like, and try
              > to edit from them.
              >
              > that said, I am not suprised your having trouble with the micron. its
              > UI is about as crap as they get IMHO. the Ion is MUCH MUCH better in
              > this regard.
              >

              > Tony

              > ________________________________

            • Scott Kellogg
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
                My first synth was a Nord Micro Modular. That was a crash course in
                synthesis!

              • Edgar David Duarte
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 6, 2005
                  You are right... it would be difficult to find a worse
                  UI, but for $300 (that is what I paid) I cant ask for
                  more.

                  Correo Yahoo!