RE: [DRUMnewz] High School Students Leave School to Protest Immigration Legislation

  • Vik Chaubey
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 7:31 AM

      It has been an interesting last 8 days in L.a. and Southern California. The protests over the last 8 days have suddenly sent shock waves in L.A., SOuthern California and in the United States in general. Yesterday a lot of people reflected back in the speak out and town hall meeting. No doubt immigration rights was a big factor but there were other issues like sense of hopelessness and a polarization which lead to a lot of aggrssive actions like to trying to shutting down one of the most infuential highways in L.A.-Harbor Freeway which I felt was amazing. I would compare trying to shut down Harbor Freeway like trying to shut down L.I.E. in NYC. Monday and Tuesday were the two days of the most aggressive actions and a lot what happenned was people trying to send a message like the 1992 uprising and 1994 actions. This is in line with L.A.'s unique spirit of rebellion. I knew in January something like this would happen for me it was a matter of time whether it was March this summer or Fall. I fully expect these things to happen so I am surprised to see people say that this is a surprise. I did draw up a plan to shut down highways but the way it was down certainly was not the way I had drew it up. One thing was also clear that junior college and university students were not involved in the organzing or the aggressive actions took place which is different from 1994, they were more invoved in supporting actions. Talking to people who were on the streets last night through cell phone and others who took action this week it is going to be an inteesting rest of the year in L.A. There is potential for more explosions like what we say recently and there are other important issues that these explosions could address. This weekend people will have other opportunities that took place like a gathering that will take place at eastside cafe and of course marches and rallies will take place all over Southern California. I do wish all the best to people in NYC that are involved in organzing and both April 1 and April 10 rally.

      Vik

      From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
      To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
      CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
      Subject: RE: [DRUMnewz] High School Students Leave School to Protest Immigration Legislation
      Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:55:48 -0800

      It has been an interesting 7 days in L.A. and in Southern California. Actions are going to continue. Today there is going to be a speakout-town hall meeting in L.A discussing the events of the last seven days it will take this place this afternoon. There is going to be an inflential march in L.A. dealing with Chican0/Xicano issues-march por Zapata. There is going to be marches in Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino counties dealing with immigrant rights. I will say a lot of the actions that took place in L.A. the last seven days-street takeover, atempts to shutdown highways, take over parks, shutdown schools and other measures  of disruption were not simply  immigrant rights. Ther has been a polarization that has taken place on a variety of issues not just immigration in L.A. when that happens people take action that is what usually take place in L.A. since the famous Watts Rebellion in 1965. In January when i was walking the streets I knew something could happen and that is why I drew up this plan and gave it to several organizers. I fully expected explosions to take place. I was in touch last night with several organizers in a lot of different places and people who were on the streets this week taking action like shutting down freeways. As I said people do not have to go elsewhere they can do battle right here and L.A. has proven the last seven days that anything is possible. My advice to Drum and other people doing battle think positively and if people are willing to do the dirty work anything is possible. Good luck to people involved on APril 1 and April 10 events. A long term plan is very important and I am one who always thinks long term. It takes people doing little things to make things like what we saw the last seven days possible. It should be an interesting weekend in L.a. and Southern California. Good luck to everybody!

      Vik

      From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
      To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
      CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:12:56 -0800

      I thas been an interesting day so far in L.A and SOuthern California in terms of protests. The protests have gotton smaller as a result of the crackdown and organizers and activists pursuing other strategies. There was an email I had written two days which finally went through today in relation to a plan of action I had come up. This plan as I have been saying this was something I studied for 5 years. I felt it could work because of L.A.'s unique spirit of rebellion. I spent 5 years coming up with this-including studying communities, spirituality, and ways it can be swung into action. The events of the last seven days did demonstrate that a committed group of people can do anything they want if they beleive themselves. I am one who thinks positive about what people are capable of doing. One thing that has upset me is why activist and organizers in U.S. want to look elsewhere for models when you dan do it here. You do not have to go Cuba or other places. L.A. has proven itself for over 41 years as a place of rebellion so there is no need to look elsewhere we can do it here. The events of the last seven days will have profound impact in terms of the confrontations and rebellions that we have seen in L.A. over the years. We shall see what will take place in the coming days.

      Vik

      From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
      To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
      CC: malangbaba@..., maestrochris@..., s.zehle@..., misterreed@..., hadjikani@..., bennymadera@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@...
      Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:55:31 -0800

      In relation to the events that have taken place the crackdown has accelerated and students are likley to come with different tactics. There was a real good walk outs in three schools yesterday in SOuthern California. I expect fewer walkouts and students are likely to go back to school as a result of a variety of things taking place. The lockdown strategy bythe Mayor of L.A. is interesting for me. He is celebrated by the liberal media in this country. For me and other people involved in L.a activism and organizing he is part of the L.A elite which is really surprising considering his background. He is one of the biggest frauds in U.S politics. He is all about power. I do feel the protests have made a profound diference in many ways and is very much part of L.A.'s tradition in terms of the spirit of rebellion. This is the L.A. I know not what people make L.A. people to be -shopping malls, beaches, celebrities, gangs, "laid back". People are clueless about L.A. and what it actually is because of how the media protrays L.A. Much like 1994 the student walkouts the protests have forced people to look at the issues critically. Much like 1994 it was a team effort and everybody contributed. When I see these organizers in June it will be interesting to see what they have to say in terms of events that took place on the ground. I have studied all kinds of tactics that can be used in the last five years and I came up with a plan on how it can be done. We shall see what will happen in the coming days.

      Vik

      From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
      To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:52:58 -0800

      Based on information I have obtained tonight there were 8,000 students that did not go to school today in the LA unified school district and so many others walked out. So the waves of protests are continuing. The crackdown is accelerating along with lockdown of schools in the L.A. area. The protests are likely to continue as well as the crackdown. This is very much like 1994 though I feel the 1994 campaign were more planned than these protests are. These protest are very much in the tradition of L.A tradition of confontations, rebellions and communities taking action  against authorities. SInce the Watts Rebellion in 1965 which shook U.S. society to its foundation the spirit of rebellion has been a   trademark of L.A activism. I am in touch with organziers on a daily basis. i have told them to continue on and as I said before I had a plan of action document that i came up after 5 years of studying communites all across Southern California. it is often very important to do the dirty work before you take action and important to study every aspect of community. Community building is very important for me. We shall see what will happen tomorrow.

      Vik

      From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
      To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:13:41 -0800

      I am sorry to have put so many emails at one time but the events were important. Right now the authorities are doing a lockdown in schools in Southern California. I expect a major crackdown today-especailly in schools. I had a given a group of organizers in L.A. county, Riverside county and Orange County a plan of action before i had left L.A in late January to do battle and I felt these techniques would be a helpful in a mobilization. These are things i have been studying for the last five years in SOuthern California. I have been in touch with several organizers this week and they told me it was helpful for them in relation to what they are doing. Today should be an interesting day.

      Vik

      From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
      To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:09:45 -0800

      The school protests are spreading all over Southern California. It was nice to see students at school I used to work in the L..A. area walking out like highschools in Long Beach, Ca( I would compare Long Beach to Queens in NYC).  As I said before it is very much like 1994 protests that we did except this time people all across the country are involved in immigrant rights organzing and rallies are happenning all over the place. It is hard for me to beleive it has been 12 years since those events took place. 1994 was a defining moment for me as an organizer and the school protests is something I think about all the time. So I feel it is great this is happenning again and i have encouraged them to get tough and ask questions later.  I feel it is always good to have new people involved and that is why these new generation of people that are protesting in L.A. are very much in line with with L.A.'s emphasis on confontations which has been a trademark of L.A. cosciousness and activism. This week I have been in touch with several organizers though I am not in L.A. right now I will be in L.A in JUne. In 1994 a new generation of people came to the L.A movement and now we are seeing a new generation a lot of these people are teenagers that are doing stuff much like 1994. SO I hope this continues and hopefully it will continue for the rest of this year.

      Vik

      From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
      To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:43:00 -0800

      The protests involved more than just high school school students it has involved students from other grade levels. These protests were similiar to the ones we staged in 1994 when from midddle of October to election day 1994 we stage protest after protest of students walking out from elementary school to junior high school to high school to junior colleges. One of things that upset people during the three weeks of protest was people carrying Mexican flags. The strategy we purse was in line in the best tradition of L.A. activism where confontations has often been the norm-1965 Watts Rebellion, 1968 street explosions, 1971 breakouts, 1992 rebellion(often known as La Riots). I hope this current wave of protests continues. I have given organizers tips on how to stage these protests on a daily basis. We shall see what will happen.

      Vik

      From:  lb810@...
      To:  DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
      Date:  Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:39:05 -0800 (PST)
      >This story was sent to you by: DRUM
      >
      >--------------------
      >High School Students Leave School to Protest Immigration Legislation
      >--------------------
      >
      >Hundreds take to the streets to call attention to a Republican House bill that activists contend is punitive and tinged with racism.
      >
      >By Michelle Keller and Anna Gorman
      >Times Staff Writers
      >
      >March 25 2006
      >
      >On the eve of a large rally planned downtown, hundreds of Los Angeles-area high school students staged a walkout Friday to protest proposed federal legislation that calls for building a 700-mile-long wall along the Mexican border and making felons of illegal immigrants.
      >
      >The complete article can be viewed at:
      >http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protest25mar25,0,3312471.story?coll=la-home-headlines
      >
      >Visit latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      >     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      DrumImmigrant deportationImmigrant visa usa
      AsianImmigrantsImmigrant visa

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Vik Chaubey
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 11:48 PM

        It was an interesting day in L.A.. and in Southern California. The most interesting event was the protest in Costa Mesa(a coastal city in Orange County). There was a real good turnout for the protest and by my account the biggest ever. I remember when i organized a rally there in 1996 that one day people in Southern California would pay attention to Costa Mesa and that day has come. There was an enrgetic rally and I talked to people that were. The rally was all about immigrants  and about people supporting their community-chicano and other minorities. They were rallies and event in L.A. on a   variety of stuff including support for Caesar Chavez, Chicano/Xicano issues, educational justice, and issues of concern to black nationalists. The energy and enthusiasm is surging ahead. The energy by the high school students is something people will be talk a lot for a long time to come. THeir actions sent shockwaves in L.A., Southern California and in the United States. As I have been saying their actions relfected the the spririt of rebellion a trademark in L.a. activism. From December 20, 2005 to January 20 2006 I went through several communites with a Chicano activist-organizer and met several highschool students who were interesting in taking action(L.a. area). I told them to think about the actions that can take and I would assist them in any way I could. Well several of them took action this week shutting down highways and streets. I knew in January there were going to explosions and that is why I drew up a plan of action and gave it to several people. I beleive there is potential for more explosions this year in L.A. this year may be just the beginniing. The polarization will continue and the anger will continue especailly in several minority communities I saw this clearly in January. what will happen next is anybody's guess. I cannot beleive how much the liberal media loves the mayor of L.A. who I bleeive is only interested in power and his actions in terms of shutting down protests reflects his obession with power. So much for the liberal media's hero. We shall see what will happen next and the upcoming days will be interesting.

        Vik

        From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
        To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
        Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 07:31:00 -0800

        From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
        To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
        Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:55:48 -0800

        From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
        To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
        Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:12:56 -0800

        From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
        To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:55:31 -0800

        From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
        To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:52:58 -0800

        From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
        To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:13:41 -0800

        From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
        To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:09:45 -0800

        From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
        To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:43:00 -0800

        From:  lb810@...
        To:  DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
        Date:  Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:39:05 -0800 (PST)

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2 5:49 PM

          It was an interesting weekend in Southern California. There was energy in a lot of places. Costa Mesa rally got a lot of attention inthe national media which amazed me. As I was I saying before I knew one day Costa Mesa could be a place for actions I saw this coming ten years ago. This was a weekend of reflection in Southern California in light of the events that have taken place.Where it goes this week is anybody's guess. But people are aiming for May 1 as a day of action. I have had conversations with a group of organizers who are aiming tough actions and some favor a hard line approach. I was pleased to see the turnout for NYC yesterday in relation to the rally yesterday. Hopefully the April 10 rally will turn out good as well as the interesting stuff in what ICA is doing. Putting the effort on organizing and getting new people involved will be important.  The movie walkout is getting a lot of attention and CNN focused on the movie today as it relates to discussing student walkouts. I also feel that all the actions was not simply about immigrant rights they were other issues at play especailly as it relates to the aggressive actions that have taken place in L.A. The polarization and hopelessness among the youth clearly played a role in the aggressive actions that took place. I saw this during the time period from Decmeber 20 to January 20 when I saw the anger. In the streets of L.A. the anger is there against authorities, polticians, police, and other institutions of power. The potential for more explosions are there. So this is simply not all about immigrant rights. I had several conversations with people roaming the streets today. I am pleased to see that what has taken place in L.A. has inspired people all over the country. I am one who beleives in a long term strategy.  A network of grass roots organizers that i have help to recuit a long with other people believe in this long term strategy and this is stage 1. We shall see what will take place in APril.

          Vik

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
          Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 23:48:25 -0800

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
          Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 07:31:00 -0800

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
          Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:55:48 -0800

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
          Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:12:56 -0800

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:55:31 -0800

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:52:58 -0800

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:13:41 -0800

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:09:45 -0800

          From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
          To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:43:00 -0800

          From:  lb810@...
          To:  DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
          Date:  Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:39:05 -0800 (PST)

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 3 7:34 PM

            It has been an interesting day in the streets of L.a. and in Southern California. In the last 24 I have had several discussion with people in the streets and the network of grassroots organizers I have been working in the last 18 months and it was also interesting to see new people get involved-high school students. I have described the anger in the streets. In January 2005 I recruited three grass roots organizers in black underclass neighborhoods in South L.A.-Carson-Compton-Long Beach and this is where the anger is the biggest. The neighborhoods where a lot of the aggressive actions were not in these neighborhoods so that is why I have been emphasizing the actions of last 10 days was tip of the iceberg. There are lot of issues that need to be connected it is not just about immigrant rights when we are talking about L.A. My trademark has been grass roots organzing and go to neighborhoods where no one goes to. I told a lot of these highschool students in January that took action the last ten days come up with a strategy to push your actions. Their actions was in line with a spirit of rebellion which I have been saying has been so important to L.a activism for so long. I did notice people saying why can this be done in NYC. I beleive it can be done but a clear strategy, support and long term ramifications could be key. Youth rebeliions are nothing new in L.a. this has been happenning for 41 years. it is also good to see L.a. as the center of resistence and rebellion in the United States. So many people never want to understand L.A. and they buy the media's view-shopping malls, hollywood, gangs, celebrity culture, beaches and "laid back". The L.A. I know as I have been saying several times is the spirit of rebellion as taught to me by people in the early 1990s who were involved in the 1965 Watts rebellion.  The anger is likely to continue  and actions are going to continue in many different forms. AS I have been saying more explosions are possible depending on events. People are angry, upset and ready to take aggressive actions as it happenned last week. We shall see what will happen in the coming days and Months. 2006 in L.A. will be a year that people will remember.

            Vik

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
            Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 17:49:58 -0700

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
            Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 23:48:25 -0800

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
            Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 07:31:00 -0800

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
            Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 03:55:48 -0800

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...
            Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:12:56 -0800

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:55:31 -0800

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:52:58 -0800

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:13:41 -0800

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:09:45 -0800

            From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
            To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:43:00 -0800

            From:  lb810@...
            To:  DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
            Date:  Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:39:05 -0800 (PST)

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 9 7:03 PM

              Dear All

              Tomorrow is a day of action. the April 10 rally in NYC looks interesting. I hope the student walkout goes well. I hope it turns out to be a  sustained walkout not just for one day. I would expect  the turnout to be good it seems to me this is being organized well. SO good luck to organizers and activists tomorrow in NYC. This past weekend I was in touch with the grass roots network of organizers in the L.A. area I have been working with for a long time. I informed them of the organzing in NYC. As I said we do not have to look elsewhere we can do things inthis country. L.A. has demonstrated a movement can happen in this country,the spirit of rebellion continues and this is just tip of the iceberg in relation to the events that have taken place in the L.A. area. So good luck to everybody involved in the NYC rally tomorrow.

              Vik

              From: "Vik Chaubey" <activisit@...>
              To: DRUMnewz@yahoogroups.com
              CC: s.zehle@..., maestrochris@..., wicho04@..., guerrero323@..., bennymadera@..., misterreed@..., malangbaba@...