Can you belive this lady was fired? (fwd)

  • Subhash Shetty Kateel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2001
      Please call the Kansas City Jewish Chronicle to help Debbie Ducro get her
      job back.

      Firing Debbie Ducro, Free Speech?
      This article was sent to Debbie Ducro, an American-Jewish journalist with
      the
      Kansas City Jewish Chronicle.
      She published it, and was fired the next day!

      "Quest for Justice", By Judith Stone

      I am a Jew. I was a participant in the Rally for the Right of Return to
      Palestine.
      It was the right thing to do.
      I've heard about the European holocaust against the Jews since I was a small
      child.
      I've visited the memorials in Washington DC and Jerusalem dedicated to
      Jewish
      lives lost and I've cried at the recognition to what level of atrocity
      mankind is capable of sinking.
      Where are the Jews of conscience?
      No righteous malice can be held against the survivors of Hitler's holocaust.
      These fragments of humanity were in no position to make choices beyond that
      of personal survival.
      We must not forget that being a survivor or a co-religionist of the victims
      of the European Holocaust does not grant dispensation from abiding by the
      rules of humanity.
      "Never again" as a motto, rings hollow when it means "never again to us
      alone.
      " My generation was raised being led to believe that the biblical land was a
      vast desert inhabited by a handful of impoverished Palestinians living with
      their camels and eking out a living in the sand.
      The arrival of the Jews was touted as a tremendous benefit to these desert
      dwellers. Golda Mier even assured us that there "is no Palestinian problem."
      We know now this picture wasn't as it was painted.
      Palestine was a land filled with people who called it home.
      There were thriving towns and villages, schools and hospitals.
      There were Jews, Christians and Muslims.
      In fact, prior to the occupation, Jews represented a mere 7 percent of the
      population and owned 3 percent of the land.
      Taking the blinders off for a moment, I see a second atrocity perpetuated by
      the very people who should be exquisitely sensitive to the suffering of
      others.
      These people knew what it felt like to be ordered out of your home at
      gunpoint and forced to march into the night to unknown destinations or face
      execution on the spot.
      The people who displaced the Palestinians knew first hand what it means to
      watch your home in flames, to surrender everything dear to your heart at a
      moment's notice.
      Bulldozers leveled hundreds of villages, along with the remains of the
      village inhabitants, the old and the young. This was nothing new to the
      world.
      Poland is a vast graveyard of the Jews of Europe.
      Israel is the final resting-place of the massacred Palestinian people.
      A short distance from the memorial to the Jewish children lost to the
      holocaust in Europe there is a leveled parking lot.
      Under this parking lot is what's left of a once flourishing village and the
      bodies of men, women and children whose only crime was taking up needed
      space
      and not leaving graciously.
      This particular burial marker reads: "Public Parking".
      I've talked with Palestinians.
      I have yet to meet a Palestinian who hasn't lost a member of their family to
      the Israeli Shoah, nor a Palestinian who cannot name a relative or friend
      languishing under inhumane conditions in an Israeli prison.
      Time and time again, Israel is cited for human rights violations to no
      avail.
      On a recent trip to Israel, I visited the refugee camps inhabited by a
      people
      that have waited 52 years in these 'temporary' camps to go home.
      Every Palestinian grandparent can tell you the name of their village, their
      street, and where the olive trees were planted.
      Their grandchildren may never have been home, but they can tell you where
      their great-grandfather lies buried and where the village well stood.
      The press has fostered the portrait of the Palestinian terrorist.
      But, the victims who rose up against human indignity in the Warsaw Ghetto
      are
      called heroes.
      Those who lost their lives are called martyrs.
      The Palestinian who tosses a rock in desperation is a terrorist.
      Two years ago, I drove through Palestine and watched intricate sprinkler
      systems watering lush green lawns of Zionist settlers in their new
      condominium complexes, surrounded by armed guards and barbed wire in the
      midst of a Palestinian community, where there was not adequate water to
      drink
      and the surrounding fields were sandy and dry.
      University professor Moshe Zimmerman reported in the Jerusalem Post (April
      30, 1995), "The [Jewish] children of Hebron are just like Hitler's youth."
      We Jews are suing for restitution, lost wages, compensation for homeland,
      slave labor and back wages in Europe.
      Am I a traitor of a Jew for supporting the right of return of the
      Palestinian
      refugees to their birthplace and compensation for what was taken that cannot
      be returned?
      The Jewish dead cannot be brought back to life and neither can the
      Palestinian massacred be resurrected.
      David Ben Gurion said, "Let us not ignore the truth among
      ourselves...politically, we are the aggressors and they defend
      themselves...The country is theirs because they inhabit it. Whereas we want
      to come here and settle down, and in their view we want to take away from
      them their country..."
      Palestine is a land that has been occupied and emptied of its people.
      It's cultural and physical landmarks have been obliterated and replaced by
      tidy Hebrew signs.
      The history of a people was the first thing eradicated by the occupiers.
      The history of the indigenous people has been all but eradicated as though
      they never existed.
      And all this has been hailed by the world as a miraculous act of God.
      We must recognize that Israel's existence is not even a question of legality
      so much as it is an illegal fait accompli realized through the use of force
      while supported by the Western powers.
      The UN missions directed at Israel in attempting to correct its violations
      of
      have thus far been futile.
      In Hertzl's "The Jewish State," the father of Zionism said, "...We must
      investigate and take possession of the new Jewish country by means of every
      modern expedient.
      " I guess I agree with Ehud Barak (3 June 1998) when he said, "If I were a
      Palestinian, I'd also join a terror group."
      I'd go a step further perhaps.
      Rather than throwing little stones in desperation, I'd hurtle a boulder.
      Hopefully, somewhere deep inside, every Jew of conscience knows that this
      was
      no war; that this was not God's restitution of the holy land to it's
      rightful
      owners.
      We know that a human atrocity was and continues to be perpetuated against an
      innocent people who couldn't come up with the arms and money to defend
      themselves against the western powers bent upon their demise as a people.
      We cannot continue to say, "But what were we to do?" Zionism is not
      synonymous with Judaism.
      I wholly support the rally of the right of return of the Palestinian people.