Announcing volume 8 of Ghadar

  • Ra Ravishankar
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 5:35 PM
      http://ghadar.insaf.net

      Announcing volume 8 of Ghadar, a publication of the
      forum of inquilabi leftists. As in the previous issue,
      we continue to analyse and publicise recent political
      events in the South Asian sphere.

      In this issue, Chi-ming Yang chronicles the history of
      conservative and right wing campus politics. Louis
      Proyect focuses specifically on one academic unit in
      Hamilton College to trace how it capitulated to
      right-wing pressure in the days leading up to the
      furor over Ward Churchill's visit. Louis also
      critiques the capitulation of liberal groups to a
      growing right-wing attack. Madiha Tahir writes
      first-hand as a student of Joseph Massad and dissects
      the workings of the Zionist groups on the Columbia
      University campus. David Green concisely summarizes
      the Zionist infiltration of the academia, while Ali
      Mir and Ra Ravishankar demonstrate how acts of
      censorship on US university campuses have co-existed
      with (and perhaps even benefited from) increasing
      support for vitriolic hate politics.

      In keeping with our agenda to forge connections with
      progressive desi political movements, we present a
      series of links to such movements; movements within
      and 'outside' academic campuses. Biju Mathew
      presents an insider's account of the multi-pronged
      campaign to mobilise against Modi's visit to the US,
      complete with an analysis of the many interest groups
      -- from all sides of the political spectrum -- that
      participated in the events as they unfolded. Raja
      Swamy compares the patriotic vitriol of those Indians
      who rose in anguish over the denial of Modi's visa to
      their lack of indignation over the systematic erosion
      of basic human rights for working classes in India.
      Kamayani Swami and Ryan Bodanyi report on the latest
      in the ongoing struggle for justice in Bhopal. "Where
      have the South Asians gone?", Sonia Saini asks, and
      calls for solidarity across ethnic groups amongst
      people of color. Finally, Joe Madre gives an update on
      the struggle against the racist mascot of the
      University of Illinois.

      Our next issue will be out in June 2005, and will
      focus on issues of gender and sexuality, new and
      ongoing debates on marriage and class formation, and
      the politics of desi consumer chic in the age of
      globalisation.

      As always, we welcome your comments and suggestions.
      Contact us at ghadarcollective@... and help
      build the network!

      Thanks,
      Ghadar Collective