  • seth weiss
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      The New SPACE presents:
      ART LIFE
      with Alan W. Moore
      Saturdays, 12 � 2 pm
      8 classes beginning April 2
      Tuition: $88 - $110, sliding scale
      Single-session: $15
      The name of this class reflects the commitment artists make to creative life. We will examine how this commitment is extended to creative social change. Weekly meetings will consist of discussion of readings and websites, and presentations of online art information, illustrated books, art work and action, and guests. Possible site visits.
      Working together, we will try to come to an understanding of the roots of political work in the arts; evaluate aesthetic and critical positions relevant to that work; evaluate the creative and resistant potential of different artists' and art groups' artistic practices; research, review and annotate a list of activist, political, and interventionist artists' sites and works. ART LIFE intends to generate a climate of discussion and an analytic directed towards devising artivist creactive events, situations, objects and actions.
      EIGHT MEETINGS consisting of the following areas of concern:
      History and  Aesthetics �  geneology of political art; an overview of the �rules� (modes of practice) of new art
      Pressure Points -- Economies: Real, Symbolic and Libidinal
      Theaters of Operation -- Art Culture, Progressive Culture, Popular Culture, Media Culture, Cyber Culture
      Survey of Tactics of Social Art � Attack, Intervention, Modelling, In- and Redirection
      These sessions will be conducted seminar-style, as we jointly devise. The following schedule is offered as a preliminary plan � a syllabus.
      Format � I will be the �lead presenter,� talking, showing pictures and leading discussion as need be. This will consist of online website visits (if these are possible given facilities), showing of pictures in books, and discussions of readings and experiences. As quickly as can be, others in the class should step up to do the same. I hope the class can form an email discussion group or a weblog posting site so we can continue the conversation through the week.
      Resources � books in reference at NYPL at 40th St. art library, texts online and in-class handouts. Maybe some site visits and certainly some guests.
      1 -- History and Aesthetics
      Class introductions of each to each. Brief overview of the course content and sequence. Presentation and discussion on classic (e.g.,19th c. and earlier) and modernist (early 20th c.) political art, culture and modes of display. Discussion of the modernist politicized avant gardes, esp. Dada, Constructivism, and Surrealism. Emergence of postmodern (after 1968) modes of artistic practice � performance, installation and conceptual art.
      2 � History and Aesthetics
      Continued discussion and presentation of  postmodern artists, groups and works: Fluxus, Joseph Beuys, Bread & Puppet Theatre, Provos & Yippies. Media art and activism of the analog era, e.g. Ant Farm, TVTV, and public access TV of the �80s, like Paper Tiger and Deep Dish satellite distribution network. Recent neo-conceptual �institutional critique� work (e.g. Andrea Fraser, Renee Green), �relational� project work (e.g. Rirkrit Tiravinija), and new genre public art (e.g. Suzanne Lacey and Meirle Ukeles).
      3 & 4 � Pressure Points
      Examine circuits and networks of relations where political cultural work might be done. Considering different notions of economy using both texts and exemplary artworks and projects � what is the artists� relation to the artworld and creative industries; what of gift economy; what is biopower and libidinal economy, and how can these system understandings generate ideas? Related questions: How do issues as defined in terms of traditional political struggle relate to systems?
      5 & 6 � Theaters of Operation
      A look at the different arenas within which artivist practice unfolds: art culture itself (galleries, museums, fairs); progressive culture (demos, centers and events); popular culture (actual crowd sites); media and cyberculture (on the air and online). Different audiences, different systems, different rules all require different kinds of work. What kinds of outcomes make sense to seek where? Propaganda/informational, organizing, art or fashion "effect," profundity.
      7 & 8 � Survey of Tactics of Social Art
      Looking at primarily group actions of recent years as represented on the internet --what did they do, according to what rules, in which theaters, and how did the actions work?
      Alan W. Moore was active in the artists� groups Colab and ABC No Rio in the 1980s. He edited ABC No Rio: Story of a Lower East Side Art Gallery with Marc Miller in 1985. His doctoral thesis (Graduate Center, City University of New York 2000) concerned New York City artists� organizations between 1969 and 1984. Recent work includes: �Political Economy as Subject and Form in Modern Art� for the fall 2004 issue of Review of Radical Political Economics and  �Being There: The Tribeca Neighborhood of Franklin Furnace� (with Debra Wacks) for a forthcoming issue of The Drama Review.
      All courses and talks held at
      57 Stanton Street, Lower East Side, New York City
      (near corner of Eldridge & Stanton Streets, one block south of Houston and one block south of the 2nd Ave. stop on the F and V trains.  See our website for map)
      Contact us at
      telephone (800) 377-6183
      P.O. Box 19, Planetarium Station, New York, NY 10024-0019
      See website for registration and pluralism policies

      1877 TO THE PRESENT
      Jeannette Gabriel
      Thursdays, 6:00 - 7:30 pm
      6 classes, April 7 - May 19 except no class April 28
      Howard F. Seligman
      Tuesdays, 7:45 - 9:45 pm
      8 classes beginning May 3
      (Donation:  $7-10, sliding scale)
      Bertell Ollman
      Wednesday April 27, 7 pm
      Robin Hahnel, based on his new book, "Economic Justice and Democracy"
      Wednesday May 25, 7 pm

      Ongoing classes:
      �CAPITAL,� VOL. I
      Andrew Kliman
      Loren Goldner
      The New SPACE teachers, speakers, and organizers include:
      Stanley Aronowitz, Jack Z. Bratich, Stephen Eric Bronner, Andrea Fishman, Jeannette Gabriel, Loren Goldner, David Graeber, Robin Hahnel, Jesse Heiwa, Charles Herr, Joshua Howard, Anne Jaclard, Andrew Kliman, Louis Kontos, Joel Kovel, Raymond Lampe, Alan W. Moore, Bertell Ollman, Howard Seligman, Stevphen Shukaitis, Bill Weinberg, Seth G. Weiss
      The New SPACE is a new anti-capitalist educational project dedicated to developing and advancing ideas for liberatory social change. Together with the new movements for global justice, we believe that "another world is possible" - a world free from the domination of capital and free for the flowering of human powers and talents.
      The New SPACE holds that free dialogue and the protection of dissenting views are essential for the development of liberatory ideas and for forging real unity among those struggling for liberation. We reject the suppression of dissenting views and individuals in the name of "unity," convinced that such suppression is antithetical to the working out of real unity. "Freedom," as Rosa Luxemburg reminds us, "is always and exclusively freedom for the one who thinks differently." Accordingly, one distinguishing aspect of our mission is to create an educational space - not existent at present - in which pluralistic dialogue and dissident perspectives are respected and encouraged.
      The New SPACE will be a place for exploring challenging questions that today's movements confront, such as:  How do we build non-hierarchical movements that can sustain themselves?  How can such movements safeguard grass-roots democracy? How do consciousness and ideas relate to movements for social transformation?
      Resolutely anti-authoritarian and non-sectarian, the New SPACE brings together anarchists, humanist Marxists, and others. All those who share our mission and goals are invited to join us as students, teachers, and partners in the development of this project. In particular, we will encourage and facilitate the participation of women, people of color, GLBT people and others who face exclusion and discrimination. We also envision a new space that young people, without ties to the old Left, will find welcoming. We seek, though our classes and other activities, to create an environment in which youth, working people from diverse backgrounds, intellectuals, and activists can dialogue and collaborate in order to make sense of, and transform, our world.
      New York City
      November 8, 2004