Election! Some Dire Stats

  • Huibin Amelia Chew
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      thought some of you might be interested...

      take care,
      -Amee

      --
      Ralph’s Index
      =============

      Percentage of the U.S. population living in poverty: 12.5%

      Number of Americans without health insurance: 45 million

      Number of children uninsured in the United States: 27 million

      Percentage of all children in the United States who lack insurance: 36.7%

      Number of Americans who die annually because they do not have health
      insurance: 18,000

      The only industrialized country that does not provide universal health
      care: United States of America

      U.S. ranking in overall quality of health care it provides: 37th

      U.S. world ranking in national expenditures on health care: 1

      Number of infants born poor in the United States: 1 in 3

      Number of years Bush has presided over an increase in child poverty
      without sounding an alarm: 3 years in a row

      Number of full-time workers earning less than $8.75 per hour before
      payroll taxes: 1 in every 4

      Comparison of average CEO pay to average worker pay in America in 1965: 26
      times more

      Comparison of average CEO pay to average worker pay in America in 1982: 42
      times more

      Comparison of average CEO pay to average worker pay in America today: 300
      to 500 times more

      Median CEO pay at large companies in the U.S.: $6,600 per hour

      Amount the minimum wage would be if it had increased in tandem with CEO
      pay since 1990: $15.71

      Percentage of the federal budget going to the military: 50%

      Number of U.S. soldiers who have died to date in the illegal war and
      occupation in Iraq: Over 1,000

      Number of Iraqi civilians the U.S. has killed in the illegal war and
      occupation in Iraq: Over 15,000

      Percentage of Americans an AP poll found would consider voting for Ralph
      Nader if they thought he had a chance to win: 33%

      Number of presidential candidates standing up to corporate power: 1

      Name of the presidential candidate standing up to corporate power: Ralph
      Nader

      Your job on Nov. 2: Vote Nader!
      (for write-in voting info, etc., see www.votenader.org)

      An Open Letter to Former Naderites Running Scared in 2004*

      I was saddened to read your open letter urging people to vote for John
      Kerry in 2004. Saddened, not because of the impact on my vote but
      because it signals more of the same surrender of some liberal thinkers.

      Senator Kerry made it clear in the three debates with President Bush that
      he has no intention of getting out of the illegal occupation of Iraq. He
      is going to fight the war to win it and will send more troops if needed.
      He also showed that rather than challenging the military industrial
      complex he intends to expand the military by 40,000 more troops. How can
      any peace activist support a candidate who holds those views? Even without
      the voice of the peace movement, about half the American public wants the
      U.S. out of Iraq. If the peace movement had stood for ending the Iraq
      occupation and demanding that their candidate do so then we would have had
      a very different debate in 2004. Now, no matter how the election turns
      out, we are likely to see a bloody offensive after the war and a quagmire
      that will become a civil war with the U.S. on the side of our puppet
      government against the Iraqi people.

      Regrettably, the same is true for other popular progressive issues.
      Two-thirds of the public supports health care for all now, yet Senator
      Kerry has put forward a plan that leaves 20 million without health care.
      The American public believes that full-time workers should make a wage
      that they and their families can live on. Yet, John Kerry only advocates
      raising the minimum wage to $7 an hour by 2007 – this will keep wages at
      the equivalent of pre-1960 earnings – at a time when some CEO’s are now
      earning $7,000 per hour. And, even on the environment, in the debates John
      Kerry made it clear he did not support the Kyoto
      Treaty – despite the clear evidence of global climate change and its
      ruinous impact on the environment. The women’s movement has been told that
      Kerry will consider anti-choice judges and that he is proud of his vote
      for Justice Scalia. African Americans have been ignored, taken for granted
      and their issues not even discussed.

      If the liberal leadership had not surrendered to the Anybody But Bush
      mentality and demanded John Kerry support these issues they would have
      accomplished two important things. First, they would have made John Kerry
      a better candidate – rather than allowed him to become an echo of George
      Bush’s policies. Second, they would have advanced the
      progressive agenda, rather than allowed this popular agenda to be
      ignored in a presidential election year.

      Those of you who were asked to sign this petition by Robert Brandon, a
      Democratic Party operative, should know that he misled you with his false
      statement, claiming that Nader/Camejo are supported by
      “right-wing campaign donors.” The Center for Responsive Politics found
      that only 4% of Nader/Camejo donations came from Republican donors, many
      from classmates who I have worked on various social justice
      issues. Indeed, the Center found that the Democratic candidate, John
      Kerry, has taken more than $10 million from Republican donors – 100 times
      more than Nader/Camejo has received. You should not confuse the conclusion
      of the letter with its deceptive predicates. You should have done your
      homework.

      Finally, what have you said about the anti-democratic dirty tricks,
      political bigotry, harassment and intimidation by the Democratic Party and
      the Kerry/Edwards campaign? We would welcome hearing from you if you want
      to join us in condemning these gross violations of civil
      liberties and Nader/Camejo and the millions of voters who are denied the
      candidate of their choice.

      I plan to continue to fight for justice – there should be no holiday from
      that struggle no matter how this election turns out. We hope the scared
      liberal leaders who abandoned their principles in 2004 will find a way to
      find the courage of their convictions in the future and rejoin this
      effort.

      Sincerely,

      Ralph Nader

      *A number of these people never worked for any group under my
      supervision. They are a tiny minority of the thousands of people who have
      worked in the groups I have founded.

      --
      " The freedom of a nation is to be achieved by itself - similarly the real
      emancipation of women can be realized only by themselves. If that freedom

      - the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan (RAWA),
      on International Women's Day, March 8, 2004

      " In an important sense, though, we all inhabit an army camp... No matter
      where we live, we have raised war taxes at work, and future soldiers at
      home, lived with the cultural atmosphere of racism and belligerence that
      war mobilization often uses or creates... All experience the problems bred
      by war's glorification of violent masculinity... All live with the legacy
      and rhetoric of national security, an historically recent concept that has
      distorted the definition and possibilities for democratic citizenship,
      discrediting dissent and centralizing power even more in the hands of the
      federal and the corporate few. "

      - Catherine Lutz
    • Paul Gilman
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2004
        All this, and Kerry didn't mention any of it.
        P&L,
        Paul