[Fwd: [noRNC] Solidarity Crucial for RNC Arrestees!]

  • marc
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      { see also: <http://www.unitedforpeace.org/article.php?id=2585> }

      Subject: [noRNC] Solidarity Crucial for RNC Arrestees!
      From: dasgoat@...
      Date: Tue, August 31, 2004 3:21 pm
      To: nornc@...

      Solidarity Crucial for RNC Arrestees!

      In the course of the massive and inspiring
      demonstrations against the Republican National
      Convention in New York City, several hundred social
      justice and human rights activists have been arrested.
      Arrestees have been beaten by the police, subjected to
      insufferable jail conditions, and vilified by the
      mainstream media. Bail has been set as high as
      $200,000. Some of those arrested— people with immigrations issues,
      activists who have been injured in the course of the
      arrest—are in high risk situations and must be
      released from jail as soon as possible.

      To abandon activists arrested in the course of these
      protests, especially those charged with felonies, is
      to presume them guilty until proven innocent, just as
      the state and media do. It is of critical importance
      that we support every activist targeted for
      repression. If we are to build a sustainable movement
      for social justice, we must immediately respond to all
      attempts to intimidate participants. We can do so by
      helping arrestees get out of jail, enabling these
      activists to get back to the important work they do in
      their local communities.

      To this end, the NYC Legal Work Fund Collective has
      been established, made up of legal support
      representatives and activists from targeted
      communities. This collective will gather funds with
      which to cover the bail expenses of arrested

      To make donations to this fund, contact United For
      Peace and Justice by phone, web, or mail. They can
      take checks, money orders, and cash, and can process
      donations by credit card over the phone or web.

      Contact by Phone: 212-868-5545
      Website/Paypal: www.unitedforpeace.org
      Mail: UFPJ, P.O. Box 607, Times Square Station, NY NY

      For bail questions ONLY, call the 24-hour information
      hotline at 347-225-6479, or email nyclwfund@....

      noRNC mailing list

      For more information about the RNC, check
      http://www.rncnotwelcome.org | http://www.rncwatch.org |

      To unsubscribe from this list write to: