Feb4 Commemoration for Amadou/ No Federal Prosecution of Killer Cops

  • Jennifer Henderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31 12:26 PM
      On Sunday, February 4 there will be a commemoration for Amadou Diallo, on
      the anniversary of the day he was murdered by NYPD. Also below an AP article
      announcing that the Justice Department will not charge Amadou's killers.
      Once again the Justice department has said cops can shoot down unarmed black
      men in cold blood and get off scott free. Please spread the word, all of us
      must stand with Amadou's family and demand justice!

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      Contact: Tamara Gardellis
      (P) 718 396 1152
      (F) 718 396 8491
      (Cell) 646 221 6952

      DIALLO FAMILY, REV. AL SHARPTON, ASSEMBLYMAN RUBEN DIAZ JR, HIP HOP
      ARTISTS AND COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS TO COMMEMORATE 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF
      AMADOU DIALLO'S DEATH WITH CANDLELIGHT VIGIL OUTSIDE OF 1157 WHEELER AVE

      WE WILL NOT FORGET!!

      WHO: Diallo Family and Political, Religious, Community Leaders
      WHAT: Candlelight Vigil
      WHERE: 1157 Wheeler Ave
      WHEN: 5:00 PM, Sunday, February 4th, 2001
      WHY: Commemoration of the life and death of Amadou Diallo. Justice has
      yet to be served.

      Wednesday January 31 02:27 PM EST
      No Federal Prosecution of Diallo Cops

      By PAT MILTON, Associated Press Writer

      NEW YORK (AP) - The U.S. Justice Department will not pursue federal civil
      rights charges against four New York City police officers who killed an
      unarmed West African immigrant outside his Bronx apartment two years ago, a
      federal source close to the case said Wednesday.
      The four officers were cleared of murder and other charges in a state
      criminal trial last year. Amadou Diallo, 22, died in a hail of 41 bullets in
      what the officers all testified was a tragic error.
      The federal source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Associated
      Press that the decision was pending formal notification of the Diallo
      family, which was meeting with U.S. Attorney Mary Jo White.
      The Diallo family, along with many of their supporters, had hoped for a
      federal civil rights prosecution of the officers. Diallo was black, and the
      four undercover officers were white in the Feb. 4, 1999, shooting that
      exacerbated racial tensions in the city.
      The Diallo family still has a $61 million civil suit against the city, its
      last legal recourse in the case. Diallo was shot when he reached for his
      wallet; the officers said they believed he was reaching for a gun.
      White's office proposed the meeting after Robert Conason, the attorney for
      the victim's mother Kadiatou Diallo, sent a letter to Deputy Attorney
      General Eric Holder blasting Justice Department officials.
      ``The seeming lack of courage displayed by the failure to either seek an
      indictment or formally close the investigation could only be taken ... as an
      example of politics at its worst,'' Conason wrote in an excerpt printed in
      the New York Post, which initially reported the decision not to prosecute
      the officers on its Web site.
      All of the officers acquitted last year - Kenneth Boss, Sean Carroll, Edward
      McMellon and Richard Murphy - remain on the force. They were searching for a
      rape suspect when they stopped Diallo outside his home.
      Federal civil rights prosecutions following state acquittals are extremely
      rare. In the Diallo case, authorities would have required proof that the
      officers violated Diallo's civil rights by intentionally using excessive
      force.
      In the state trial, the officers argued they fired in self defense,
      believing that Diallo was about to pull a weapon on them.
      The officers were members of the NYPD's Street Crime Unit at the time of the
      shooting. They were driving around the Bronx in an unmarked car and wearing
      plainclothes when they spotted Diallo.
      Shortly after Diallo's death, White announced her office had begun the civil
      rights probe.
      White's office also has a separate, broader investigation under way into
      police training and practices, especially by the Street Crime Unit.
      The Diallo family, in its civil lawsuit, claims the officers used
      unnecessary force to deprive their son ``his right to life.''
      It also charges the shooting resulted from racial profiling sanctioned by
      the police department, including stopping and frisking black males without
      justification.

    • Jennifer Henderson

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2001
          someone please forward this to the youth list - i tried a while ago and it
          got returned to me.

          shilpa