Sunday, March 2nd & 3rd, THAW Zindabad

  • Geeta Citygirl
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      Open call for SALAAM's THAW Zindabad - 2 days of performances speaking out for peace!

      Casting South Asian actors for a staged reading of Aristophanes's LYSISTRATA.  Auditions will be held on Sunday, February 9th from 3-6PM at SALAAM Theatre, 16 West 32nd Street (between Fifth Avenue and Broadway) on the 10th Floor in Manhattan.  We will have sides at the audition but please bring a headshot/resume.  The piece will be staged on Sunday and Monday, March 2nd and 3rd, 2003.  Scroll down for more details.

      We are also seeking Musicians, Bands, Singers, Dancers, Spoken Word Performers, Poets, Comedians and any other creative spirits that would like to share words of peace during our THAW ZINDABAD event!  Interested folks should also come to the open call with material and be prepared to provide the script of your piece(s).  If you have a short one-act that you'd like us to consider, email it to citygirl@... as an attachment.  We'll let you know the status after we've seen all the talent on February 9th.

      GET INVOLVED!  Calling all desis and progressive folks to endorse our event!  Organizations and individual sponsors are requested to help promote our March 2nd and 3rd - THAW Zindabad event.  Scroll down for more info.

      For SALAAM Theatre updates, join our yahoogroup at www.SALAAMtheatre.org
      =============================
      SALAAM Theatre
      Geeta Citygirl, Artistic Director
      an official Theater Against War presents
      THAW Zindabad!
         THEATERS AGAINST WAR
            http://www.thawaction.org

      On March 2nd and 3rd, 2003, here in NYC, SALAAM Theatre is joining THAW out for Peace and The Lysistrata Project by producing, THAW Zindabad, which will include a reading of Aristophanes' Lysistrata featuring talented artists from the South Asian community plus will present various performances that speak to this mission of peace (location and time tba).  We look forward to seeing you at these historical 2 days of activities!

      About the Play:
      Lysistrata, a comedy by Greek dramatist Aristophanes (c.447 - c. 385 b.c.e.), tells the story of a group of women from opposing states who unite to end the Peloponnesian War.  After matronly stormtroopers take over the building where public funds are kept, the women rise to end the war by withholding sex from their mates -- Until, desperate for intimacy, the men finally agree to lay down their swords and see their way to achieving diplomatic peace.

      Though we are not necessarily suggesting these tactics be used to end this war (but, wouldn't it be fun if the First Lady ...), Lysistrata provides a humorous entree into a healthy community dialogue: What CAN we do on a local level to stop "diplomacy by violence" in our world?

      In many countries, women have progressed to greater positions of power since Aristophanes wrote this play.  Many of us do have a voice now. We are free to run for office. We are free to speak out for humanitarian foreign policy. We are free to teach our youth about conflict resolution through compassionate negotiation, rather than violent domination. And we can do much more.

      For the sake of women who DON'T have those freedoms (the very women who will feel the brutality of Bush's war in a direct way), we must speak out. We must unite.  Wherever you are, debate and discuss and show your opposition to this war!

      For more information and to get involved, please call Geeta Citygirl at 212-330-8097 or email citygirl@...

      Endorse our event!  Organizations and individual sponsors are requested to help promote our March 2nd and 3rd - THAW Zindabad event.  Contributing endorsers of $50 or more will be listed in the THAW publicity that will be seen by hundreds of thousands around the NYC area. The deadline for inclusion in THAW promotional material is Wednesday, February 12, 2003.  Others who can just help publicize (no contribution) will be listed in the SALAAM promotional materials - Deadline for this is February 19th, 2003.  To endorse and co-sponsor, please email the name of the person or organization as it should appear in the promotional materials to citygirl@... -- Alternatively, checks and money orders made out to "SALAAM Theatre" can be sent to: SALAAM Theatre, 16 West 32nd Street, Suite 10C, New York, NY 10001.  Please note "March 2003 Thaw Zindabad" on the check memo field and on the envelope.  All donors will also be acknowledged as one our 2003 Jewels of SALAAM.  Due to the very limited time we have to collect contributions from co-sponsors, please notify us immediately if you are using the mail.

      SALAAM Theatre is a not-for-profit professional theatre company celebrating South Asian American artistic excellence through creative risk-taking and experimentation that challenges all boundaries, connects all peoples and links all the arts.

      Geeta Citygirl, Artistic Director
      SALAAM  - South Asian League of Artists in AMerica
      http://www.SALAAMtheatre.org