YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!!!

  • Sarah Husain
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2002
      Hi Everyone,

      I've helped organize this event and am hoping you will support the cause and
      come out and join us on SEPTEMBER 12 @ SOB's.
      As people of color, as third world people living in the United States,
      citizens or not, we are seeing our homes ravaged, from the Philippines to
      Pakistan, from Afghanistan to Palestine. While our homes abroad face the
      threat of nuclear destruction, our lives here are under 24 hour surveillance.
      AS people of color we are well aware what the history of this country in the
      past 100 years is entrenched in, from the Jim Crow laws of the 50+IBk-s, to the
      Japanese internment of WWII, to the COINTELPRO of the 70+IBk-s. Today as
      Muslims, South Asians and Arab+IBk-s we are the targets but we believe
      eventually these repressive measures will affect everyone+IBk-s civil rights.
      This benefit on September 12, marking 366 days after 9/11, is organized to
      commemorate all the victims of 9/11, those thousands who are currently being
      detained in INS prisons, facing torturous conditions just because they
      +IBw-look+IB0 a certain way, just because they espouse a certain faith, or even
      because they organize for justice. Come out and share an evening of dance and
      poetry. The funds raised will go towards the detainees and their families.

      Suheir Hammad's poetry and Sharmila Desai's dance. Please forward this to all
      your contacts. Hope to see you there.

      Thanks for you time,
      Sarah