3/9: New York Asylum Network Luncheon

  • SIUHIN@...
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 7:46 PM
      3/9: New York Asylum Network Luncheon

      On behalf of the Weill Cornell Center for Human Rights (WCCHR), it is my pleasure to invite you to attend our first annual New York Asylum Network Luncheon. This event will be held on Saturday, March 9, 2013 from 12:00PM to 3:00PM in the Weill Greenberg Center at 1305 York Avenue.  We would be honored to have you join us for what we believe will be a valuable event for the human rights community in New York City.

      For those of you who are not familiar with our organization, WCCHR is a medical student-run human rights clinic dedicated to providing forensic evaluations to survivors of persecution seeking asylum in the United States. Founded in 2010 through a partnership with Physicians for Human Rights, WCCHR is the first student-run asylum clinic at a U.S. medical school and has been heralded as the model for future asylum evaluation programs. Our organization is comprised of a diverse and growing team of volunteer physicians and medical students committed to serving asylum seekers and educating the medical community and the general public about the asylum process.

      In hosting the New York Asylum Network Luncheon, we will provide a forum for members of established and emerging organizations to connect and problem solve around the common challenges faced in serving asylum seekers. This event is open to professionals and students across all disciplines working in the area of asylum.

      The event will open with a keynote address by Assistant Chief Immigration Judge Jack H. Weil and conclude with a panel discussion featuring experts in the field of asylum, including Jillian Tuck from Physicians for Human Rights, Dr. Allen Keller from the NYU/Bellevue Program for Survivors of Torture, Lisa Matos of HealthRight International, Dr. Dinali Fernando of The Libertas Center for Human Rights, Dr. Eva Metalios of the Bronx Human Rights Clinic, Dan Smulian of the Safe Harbor Project at Brooklyn Law School, Aaron Morris of Immigration Equality, and Lina Joshi, an asylee.

      We at WCCHR plan to use this event to form partnerships with people and organizations that excel in providing the wide array of services that asylum seekers need, and we hope that others will do the same.

      To reserve a space, please complete the online RSVP form no later than February 25. The form can be accessed here. We encourage you to respond as soon as possible, as space is limited. If you have any further questions about the event, please feel free to contact me at eik2005@....

      Warmest regards,

      Eileen Koh

      Advocacy Coordinator, Weill Cornell Center for Human Rights Weill Cornell Medical College, Class of 2015 eik2005@... Learn more at www.wcchr.com

      Directions to Weill Greenberg Center

      Located on the SW corner of York Ave and 70th St

      1305 York Ave, New York, NY 10021

      By Subway

      Take the Lexington Ave #6 train to East 68th St Walk four blocks east to York Ave, or take the M66 bus eastbound to York Ave Enter the Weill Greenberg Center at 70th St.

      By Bus

      Take the M15 to 67th St via First Ave or Second Ave. Alternately take the M31, which comes across town at 57th St and turns uptown at York Ave, exit at 69th St.

      By Car

      Approaching from south of East 68th St – Take the FDR Drive northbound to the 61st St exit. Make right onto York Ave and go north to 68th St Approaching from north of East 68th St – Take the FDR Drive southbound to the 71st St exit. Make left onto York Ave and go south to 68th St

      Parking Garages

      Note: Parking at Weill Greenberg Center is reserved for patients and is by valet only.

      Rates: 1hr = $20; 2hr = $28; up to 4hr = $31; up to 8hr = $38 Greenberg (525 E. 68th St between York Ave & East River) Helmsley (507 E. 70th St between York Ave & East River) Payson (426 E. 71st St between First Ave & York Ave) Phipps House (1285 York Ave between E. 68th St & E. 69th St

      Joanne Ahola, M.D. P.C.

      680 West End Ave., Suite 1A

      New York, NY 10025

      212 877 3775

      Medical Director

      Weill Cornell Center for Human Rights

      National Immigrant Solidarity Network

      e-mail: info@...

      New York: (212)330-8172
      Los Angeles: (213)403-0131
      Washington D.C.: (202)595-8990
      Chicago: (773)942-2268

      * join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send e-mail to:
      isn-subscribe@...

      Send check pay to:

      National Immigrant Solidarity Network
      P.O. Box 751