Border Patrol Kills U.S. Citizen Mother of Five: Family and Advocates Speak Out

  • Monami Maulik
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2012
      Friends,

      Alliance San Diego and AFSC staff have been following this very troubling case very closely. Alliance and AFSC have had ongoing conversations with the family of Munique, they are devastated but have gather enough strength to demand justice. Below you can find the press release announcing the press conference that will be held on Monday October 1st at 11 AM at Alliance San DIego 3750 30th Street.  The family and community members will be organizing a candle light vigil  at 5:30 on Monday October 1st at the corner of Moss Street and Broadway. Sadly, our community mourns again the loss of life at the hands of Border Patrol. Please join us.

      In solidarity,

      Christian
      If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.

      Share This:
      Border Patrol Kills U.S. Citizen Mother of Five: Family and Advocates Speak Out

      Family of Valeria Munique Tachiquin to make statement in press conference at 11 am and will hold a vigil at 6 pm

      Contact
      Ricardo Favela (760) 659-3620, ricardo@...

      Press Conference
      • Who: Family of Valeria Munique Tachiquin, Christian Ramirez (Southern Border Communities Coalition Director), Pedro Rios (Director of the San Diego Office of the American Friends Service Committee)
      • When: Monday, October 1st, 2012 at 11:00 am
      • Where: Alliance San Diego Office: 3750 30th St. San Diego, CA 92104

      Candle Light Vigil
      San Diego, CA: Valeria Munique Tachiquin, a 32-year old mother of five and a U.S. citizen, was shot and killed by a plainclothes Border Patrol agent last Friday afternoon in the City of Chula Vista.

      On Monday, October 1st, Valeria's father, Valentin Tachiquin, will give a statement at a press conference with local human rights activists from the American Friends Service Committee and Alliance San Diego.

      The fatal incident occurred in a residential area in Chula Vista on Moss Street near Broadway.

      Neighbors and eyewitnesses were shocked and feared for their safety when they saw a man shooting multiple times into the vehicle driven by Munique.  The shooter was later identified as a plainclothes Border Patrol agent who was apparently serving a warrant in a nearby residence.  Authorities have withheld his name.

      The family states that Munique, a U.S. Citzen, was not the person Border Patrol was seeking.

      The Border Patrol agent involved in the shooting was treated in a hospital but the extents of his injuries are unknown. Neighbors say they saw the plainclothes agent walking immediately after the incident.

      “I want to know ‘why’?  What caused the Border Patrol agent to shoot my daughter multiple times?  My family wants answers, and we are seeking justice,” stated Valentin Tachiquin.

      “There is a troubling and growing pattern of abuse and excessive use-of-force committed by Border Patrol agents; our community demands to know what led to such a brutal act by that plainclothes agent,” said Pedro Ríos, director of the American Friends Service Committee US Mexico Border Program.

      This latest incidents comes at a time in which Border Patrol has been under fire by law makers who are calling for, “ a top-to-bottom review of CBP practices”.

      “The Border Patrol continues to be an out of control agency that operates above the law,” said Christian Ramirez. “We need to continue to put pressure on Customs and Border Protection to call for transparency, accountability and justice.”

      A candle light vigil is being organized for Monday afternoon at 6 p.m. with the family of Valeria Munique Tachiquin on the corner of Broadway and Moss Street near the location where the shooting took place.

      ###

      PO Box 12266 | San Diego, CA 92112 US

      This email was sent to christian@.... To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
      address book or safe list.

      manage your preferences | opt out using TrueRemove™

      Network for Good
      EmailNow powered by Emma

      --
      Christian Ramirez
      Human Rights Director | SBCC Director

      Alliance San Diego
      619.885.1289

      --
      Christian Ramirez
      Human Rights Director | SBCC Director

      Alliance San Diego
      619.885.1289

      --
      SAVE THE DATE! OCTOBER 27, 2012 at 6pm

      Monami Maulik
      Founder and Executive Director
      DRUM- Desis Rising Up & Moving
      Tel (718) 205-3036 / Fax (718) 205-3036
      www.drumnyc.org

      This message may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately advise the sender by reply E-mail that this message has been inadvertently transmitted to you and delete this E-mail from your system.