New Proposals for Action against the U.S.-Israeli Attack on Gaza

  • Steven Yip
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      New Proposals for Action against the U.S.-Israeli Attack on Gaza

      An important discussion was held Tuesday evening at Revolution Books that dug into the criminal responsibility of the U.S. government for genocidal attacks on the Palestinian people. This is now concentrated in the vicious bombardment and looming invasion of the Gaza strip -- the world's largest open air concentration camp.

      While we encourage and support all mass demonstrations and marches, also required at this juncture are a growing spirit of defiance and a specific targeting of U.S. responsibility. There is an urgent need to manifest to the world a refusal by American people to be complicit. Here we invoke of the spirit of those who burned their draft cards in the Vietnam era, blocked trains carrying military supplies to the Contras, took over campuses to demand divestment from South Africa, and current era GIs refusing to serve in U.S. wars for empire in the Middle East.

      Such a spirit of defiance can and should take many forms, from statements and forums by public figures, to inspirational works of art, to civil disobedience and acts of witness. We call on everyone to step forward now with their ideas and concrete participation to make this into reality.

      One proposal already underway is for an action on Monday that would confront more starkly and dramatically the crimes against humanity being committed against the people of Gaza. We see this as just the first step in a growing wave of actions. What is important is that we start NOW. Every day the more bombs fall, more children go hungry from the embargo, more people die from the lack of basic medical supplies.

      Please send your comments and suggestions, and come to a short planning meeting at Revolution Books (146 W. 25th) at 6 pm on Friday to finalize some of the plans for Monday and to think about next steps after that. Also please let us know about others actions being planned by others -- we need a growing swell of resistance!

      The key elements of the Monday action would be:

          1) Bodies on the ground with people holding graphic representations of the crimes being committed against the people of Palestine. This would be inside a major transportation hub at rush hour, in a manner that cannot be avoided by those who would rather look the other way.

          2) Written material that brings out both the genocidal attacks on the Palestinian people locked up in Gaza and the direct responsibility of the U.S. government in all of this.

           We must act. Please let me hear from you.

       – Clark Kissinger at 917-204-0927 or cck@...

      --
      Steve Yip
      P.O. Box 941, Knickerbocker Station

      It's time to throw off the chains of oppression,
      and get with the emancipators of humanity!