Lee Siu Hin: Looking Back My Life, Looking Myself, and Looking Forward My Future

  • SIUHIN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2007
      Lee Siu Hin: 2007 New Year Message
      Looking Back My Life, Looking Myself, and Looking Forward My Future

      January 1, 2007, 2:15 AM PST

      Lee Siu Hin
      National Coordinator

      Action LA Coalition
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network
      Peace No War Network

      I want to wishes you a happy New Year 2007--with lots of love, care and happiness from everyone.

      Second, I want to commemorate the death of 3,000 U.S. soldiers at Iraq--and 600,000 more innocent Iraqi civilians killed because of the brutal U.S. invasion and occupation for the past three-and-half years.

      Third, I also want to commemorate millions died in Africa, Asia and Latin Americas because of civil war, starvation, disease, AIDS and injustice. And tens of millions of more workers working like slaves at the sweatshops for multi-national corporations.

      This will be my third years I didn't celebrate New Year, and working thru passing the mid-night.

      Don't give me wrong, I love party and fun: We had accomplished many success last year: May Day 2006 "A Day Without Immigrants" general strike/economic boycott; the November election; and across Latin America, elections have continued to bring a wave of progressive leadership to power.

      But I cannot fake myself to be "fun" because injustice and suffering around the World are still everywhere eveyday: Internationally, the continue U.S. occupation in Iraq and Afghanistan; domestically, the continue oppression against immigrants and the people of color. Personally, I received death threat and black mail--some from people I thought can trust with my life.

      Because injustice doesn't seems to want to take a break, I cannot take a break

      Today (12/31/06) I confronts with critical questions from two friends of mime:

      "Siu Hin, I admire your work to fight for justice--but don't you know you never win?"

      "Siu Hin, people want to know how to build strong, lasting movements to change our World--can you tell me how we can do it within 10 min?"

      I am speechless--because I don't have answer--or, I have answer, but they don't want to accept.

      As a long-time (still today) low-pay/sweatshop worker from downtown LA fighting to changing my destiny--I wishes I have a 'secret of my success" can tell everyone. Hope, disappointment; more hopes, more disappointment again--but that's what life is. But I never say never, never give up the hope, because I believes "people comes and goes--the true one will always stays."

      .....After a long thinking, I answer the questions to my friends:

      1) This is My Struggle:
      I am doing this BECAUSE THIS MY STRUGGLE! and this is my manifest destiny. You need to take the ownership of the struggle in order we can make change happen. Understanding the connections between our individual conditions of life and the lives of people everywhere in the word allows us to come together and organize across all borders. WE NEED to link the connections between: wars in Africa, south America, Asia, Iraq, Palestine & Korea with sweatshops in Asia as well as in Los Angeles, New York; international arm sales and WTO, FTAA, NAFTA & CAFTA with AIDS, hunger, child labors and child solider; multinational corporations and economic exploitation with racism and poverty at home--then we can win the struggle.

      2) We Need to Ready to Sacrifice:
      Social change is not a fun persona/political games--it's often a brutal struggle, you can lost everything, even you life, I personally know folks killed or in prison last year because their fighting for peace and justice--or at least financially bankrupt themselves.

      When I was younger, I always naively dreams that doing something good for the people, and something good will happen to you--a respect, job and love--instead, I end up a victim of racism, political struggle because I refuse to do what I feels is wrong.

      Not once, I need to choose between good and bad: a good job with good income but need to betray people and my principle--I tell them go to hell--I made the right decision, but I need to face the dire consequences--poor rat for the rest of my life working in sweatshop, and hunted by death threat and intimidation everyday. But I never regret my decision, we need to overcome our own evil, and our fear--the fear of sacrifice. Yes, people do tells me my sacrifice is "crazy" "stupid" and "silly."

      My father almost killed himself during the war 50 years ago--a bullet went thru his lung--but he survived. I am miserably poor, but I still have my dignity--our entire social justice works are funded thru out of my own pocket and passing the bucket--with the tireless works of our volunteer staffs, I need to personally thanks Don White, Jesee White and John Johnson for their help past year, and doexn other friends gave us protection and shelter when we need.

      People jokes to me that I had married to the revolution--if the faithful day finally comes to me, I'll be calmly with dignity to face it.

      3) Never Give Up The Hope, Never Give Up Our Fight:
      We are always fighting for a uphill battle--the enemy of peace and justice always have larger resources then us. I don't believes there's a such thing as "quick fix" or "road map"--every struggles are unique and difficult.

      We always faces hopes and disappointments, but we need to believe there'll be a hope and the love at the end or our struggles--and the happy ending will be happen, otherwise, there's no reason why we are doing this.

      Furthermore, we need to understand change won't happen over night, nor next month, or even next several years--a true changes need decades even generations of sacrifice in order to accomplish a success--we need expect: our work is to benefits our children and grandchildren, our sacrifice today will give everyone better hope for the future generations.

      I always remember the famous quote from Dr. Sun Yat-sen, China's revolutionary leader of 191--when the revolution failed and he died in 1925, he said before passed away: "Our revolution still not succeed, everyone should continue keeping up their fight."

      Still, people always asks me: what is my new year wishes?

      My new year wishes, has been the same for the past 15 years:

      Peace On Earth
       End All Hunger
        Justice for All
         One True Love

      I wishes you happy New Year! and may all your wishes, dreams and happiness will comes true!

      Lee Siu Hin
      National Coordinator

      Action LA Coalition
      National Immigrant Solidarity Network
      Peace No War Network

      ActionLA
      Action for World Liberation Everyday!

      Tel: (213)403-0131

      e-mail: Info@...

      Please Donate to ActionLA!

      Send check pay to:

      The Peace Center/ActionLA
      8124 West 3rd Street, Suite 104
      Los Angeles, CA 90048
      (at the memo line write donations to ActionLA/AFGJ, all donations are tax deductible)

      The web page has been design by Activist Design Studio
      Please visit: http://www.ActivistDesign.net
      Toll-Free: (888)635-3307

      Please join our ActionLA Listserv
      go to: http://lists.riseup.net/www/subscribe/actionla