Re: [METHADONIA ] Re: New member

  • Mark4wdw@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
      Stephanie,

      What exactally is going on at your clinic that has you upset? Let us know and
      perhaps we can share stories of the same things that have gone on at ours and
      how some of the poblems were resolved.

      Travis

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2003
        --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, gms2218@a... wrote:
        > Hello and welcome, unfortunately you have ventured into what I like
        to call
        > the "Hope and Wish area" of Methadone Maintenance, meaning I hope
        things will
        > change and I wish things were this way. But there are believe it or
        not
        > governing bodies that even clinics must adhere to why don't you try
        to contact NAMA
        > at <A HREF="www.nama.com">www.nama.com</A> maybe they can be of
        some help.

        > Hey Everyone-- I hope everybody's tryin' to enjoy the change in
        the weather..This bein' cool feels great! (I'm in the deep south so
        the heat is abundant!) I would like to respond to the above message.
        You don't always have to hope and wish.. When I started at my clinic
        8 years ago, the dose cap was 100, and it was the same in the entire
        state.(Alabama) 100 mgs. didn't hardly offer me any relief, and I was
        determined to get well. So I dug into the internet and looked up and
        learned everything I could on methadone maintenance, especially about
        dosing over 100 mgs. Then I steady bugged the doctor to death with
        all this information until his reasons for not going over 100 were
        gone..I developed quite a relationship with him during this
        time..Eventually the clinic went to 200mgs. So it doubled. It wasn't
        easy, I damn near died before it happened, but by the grace of God I
        didn't.All of this took about 2-3 years. It didn't happen overnight.
        Now I am determined to get them to drop the limit alltogether, but it
        is tuff! So anyway, now the state has many clinics over 100mgs
        because of that. Now if I had an asshole doctor I don''t know what I
        would have done. So you're right in that alot of times you have to
        wish, but if you don't go full steam and prepared for what you want
        at your clinic, you'll never know if you could make things happen.
        Oh, and by the way, after going thru this episode and getting to
        thinking somewhat straight with a better dose, I was appointed the
        state director for NAMA. So that turned out to be pretty cool..I
        think that an advocate is still needed for Louisiana, which is next
        to my state of Mississippi. And I want to thank everyone again for
        joining and putting out the great posts and advice. This is your
        club! Oats Gulf Coast NAMA
      • kdlake420
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 19, 2003
          Thanks odubya for helping get this increase! I just started going
          to the clinic in Grand Bay, AL after actually being on mehtadone the
          last 3 years. Currently I am still working my way up. I wish they
          would let you start at more than 30mg! Fortunatly I had just got a
          prescription from local doctor in Mississippi (beleive it or not but
          I got from a general practice on at that). AnywaysI have been a
          member of this group for awhile but I have not been very active.
          After starting at this clinic, however, I see the many, many postive
          effects of having state provisions for MMT. I have wrote a letter
          to state direct of mental health and drug abuse. I also plan on
          sending to my state representatives. I am very serious on finding
          what I can do to help get MMT in Mississippi. I am going do some
          research find out some things. I wonder too about starting a
          petition.

          Keith

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 27, 2003
            HEY KEITH~ THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN HELPING THE CAUSE OF
            GETTING MISSISSIPPI ON TRACK. I DO HAVE SOMETHING YOU CAN DO IF YOU
            WANT TO. THERE IS A NEW WOMAN THAT IS IN CHARGE OF THE METHADONE
            SITUATION IN MISSISSIPPI(she is the SMA, "State Methadone Authority")
            HER NAME IS JESSIE WRIGHT, AND HER PHONE NUMBER IS 601-359-6247. SHE
            IS LOCATED IN JACKSON,MS AND SHE WORKS UNDER MR. HERBERT LOVING,WHO
            PREVIOUSLY HELD THE SAME POSITION.I SPOKE WITH HER THE OTHER DAY AND
            CAME AWAY WITH THE IMPRESSION SHE IS VERY UNKNOWLEDGEABLE(that might
            be a huge understatement)ABOUT METHADONE MAINTENANCE. YOU CAN CALL
            HER AND EXPLAIN THAT IT IS A BIG PROBLEM FOR YOU AND EVERYONE YOU
            KNOW WHO HAS TO DRIVE OUT OF STATE TO GET YOUR METHADONE. TELL HER
            HOW METHADONE HAS HELPED YOU. BY THE WAY, ANYONE WHO CARES TO CAN
            CALL AND DO THE SAME THING. TELL HER HOW MUCH A CLINIC IS NEEDED IN
            THIS AREA. YOU CAN POST THE RESULTS OF YOUR CALL HERE OR EITHER WRITE
            ME DIRECT AT "GULF COAST NAMA @ AOL.COM" GOOD LUCK! THANKS AGAIN FOR
            YOUR PARTICIPATION HERE AND WITH OUR CAUSE! CHAIO~ OW -
            -- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "kdlake420" <kdlake420@y...>