Question you may be able to help with

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 23, 2002
      --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, claude <hopjr2@y...> wrote:

      > Alan , that is usually what I do in explaining ny medication
      telling them it's ORT and when asked what medication am I on I tell
      them dolophine because most medical people that are ignorant hears
      dolophine and you mention chronic pain they usually accept that. As
      long as they dont hear that nasty M word then it's cool. You have
      discovered that in order to get what you need you must learn how to
      rearrange words and find how to not necessarily lie but to tell it
      with just enough info without giving them too much.
      > As far as your SSD, are you talking about SSi or SSD benefits,
      because the two of them are totally different and have different set
      of rules. The ssi is income dependent and yeah your expenses come
      into play and you have to also fall into their disability criteria.
      Usually you are eligible for ssd if you qualify for the disability
      criteria and have enough working quarters paid into Social Security
      the other you need not to have ever worked to receive benefits but
      usually you cant apply for both.
      > Here is a site you can check out that will explain exactly what you
      need and what medical problems would qualify you for benefits. If
      you are blind ,dumb, paralyzed and missing all four limbs they will
      usually turn you down the first two times saying they feel you can
      still do something for a living and when appealed you usually win.See
      they know most people give up after the first time and go away. So
      here is the site it is very helpful
      http://www.disabilityresources.org/index.html
      > claude
      > "Alan Paulson <dirk_d78@h...>" <dirk_d78@h...> wrote:
      > Hello Group
      >
      > My name is Alan, I live in Colorado USA.
      >
      > I am applying for Social Security Disability, SSI, and Social
      > Security Disability this month. I was wondering if any MMT
      patients
      > out there have any experience with the application and approval
      > process for these federal services?
      >
      > I have lived with Bipolar Illness all my life and have been in
      > treatment for 20 years. I have a bowel disease possibly Crohn's or
      > cancer in diagnosis which I have lived with 14+ yrs, and live with
      > neuropathy as well for at least 6 years. I have not stayed in
      > treatment for years for my physical illnesses because of my present
      > limited income and time, as a manager I worked on call day and
      night
      > 8 days a week when I was working consistently. I have not had
      > insurance benefits since 1997, and my emotional disorder the
      Bipolar
      > has been the squeakiest wheel that has required the most treatment
      > and time and taken me most away from my work and life. Plus, I get
      > financial assistance for mental health services that I don't yet
      > have available for physical illnesses. I have an interview coming
      > up this month to apply for benefits from Social Security
      Disability,
> [...]
      > a week without taking any days off in order to survive unless I
      > figured out ways to acquire pain medications illegally. I have
      been
      > dependent on pain medications for the greater part of 13 years now,
      > and methadone has helped me to live a legal and safer life,
      although
      > at the dose I get to treat my physical dependency and/or addiction
      > it does little to nothing for my pain.
      >
      > HERE IS THE QUESTION THEN. Sorry I am slow to get to the point, I
      > thought maybe a little background would help. I have been told by
      > many people that revealing my participation in a methadone
      treatment
      > program will almost guarantee I will have my application for
      > benefits denied. For most of the benefits I am applying for they
      > ask you to reveal all your medical expenses, and the $170/month +
      > $30 late fees every month for methadone is a lot of money for me to
      > pay without consistent employment, and including that in my
      expenses
      > I thought might increase my eligibility for benefits. A few people
      > at my clinic recommend that admitting to being in methadone
      > treatment will likely get my request for benefits denied. Also my
      > counselor told me she could NOT encourage me to lie, but she does
      > not recommend I volunteer information about participation in the
      > clinic either if I want to improve my chances of approval for
      > benefits. I don't know how I will pay for my fees this or next
      > month, and the new company that bought our clinic recently is very
      > quick to put patients on administrative detox. That would ruin my
      > life as the well over 200mg+ split dose daily of methadone I get is
      > barely enough of a dose to make my withdrawals and painpill
      cravings
      > manageable, much less manage the upper tolerances of pain I am in,
      > which it does somewhat even if we know addiction treatment is not
      > intended for that purpose. When a person is suffering beyond words
      > we sometimes do what we must to survive.
      >
      > Does anyone have any experience or advice on what I should reveal
      in
      > my interview with the social worker about methadone treatment
      > program participation? Sometimes when I am speaking to people with
      > no medical background I call it ORT, or Opiate Replacement Therapy,
      > because that is what it is and they don't know the difference or
      > question what it is for. If they do I say it is to balance an
      > endocrine, ligand, and/or endogenous opioid inbalance and they
      > usually look at me and say "huh?", and then don't ask anymore
      > questions. We do what we must to live with a treatment that is
      > still in the stage of "voo doo" status and prejudice to most
      medical
      > professionals, social workers, and employers.
      >
      > I would appreciate any advice and/or suggestions from anyone with
      > opinions or experiences? Thanks in advance and have a great

      I am aware that you are usually turned down the 1st time and
      sometimes the 2nd time you apply for disability or SSI. I have heard
      that it takes at least 6 months to get a check once you are
      approved. Do you know if this is true? And if it is, will the 1st
      check you receive be larger? In other words, do they give you back
      pay for the time that you have been waiting to be approved and to
      receive your 1st check?

      Thank you very much for the web site address to obtain information on
      SSI and Disability. I have been needing something like this.

      Good Luck and Happy Holidays,
      Sharpshooter (Lesa)

      Service.

    • steph11219@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 23, 2002
        In a message dated 12/23/02 12:33:46 PM, no_reply@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<
        I am aware that you are usually turned down the 1st time and
        sometimes the 2nd time you apply for disability or SSI. I have heard
        that it takes at least 6 months to get a check once you are
        approved. Do you know if this is true? And if it is, will the 1st
        check you receive be larger? In other words, do they give you back
        pay for the time that you have been waiting to be approved and to
        receive your 1st check?

        Thank you very much for the web site address to obtain information on
        SSI and Disability. I have been needing something like this.

        Good Luck and Happy Holidays,
        Sharpshooter (Lesa)

        Lesa, My neighbor just started getting her SSI checks (the kind that is NOT
        dependent on a working history). She applied over a year ago. They turned
        her down the first time and she appealed it. In fact, when they told her she
        had by a certain date to get all her info in, they suggested that she get a
        lawyer because they said it was very uncommon for someone her age (29 yrs
        old) to be approved for disability (back problem). However, she got all the
        info together herself from all the doctors and went by herself. She was
        approved!!
        The money was to be retroactive from the very first date that she applied,
        but in her case, a big chunk of the back payment check went to Dept. of
        Social Services...as that was her means of support for herself and her
        children....
        Oh.....once they approved her, it took about 2 months to get her first check.

        Good Luck,
        Stephanie
        NYC Nama
        Brooklyn, New York