New study on ibogaine, 32 opiate addicts

  • ibogaine_info
    Message 1 of 667 , Oct 9, 2000
      IBOGAINE IS EFFECTIVE IN BLOCKING OPIATE
      Mash, J. Pablo, C.A. Kovera , Neurology Dept,<br>Univ.
      of Miami School of Med., Miami, FL.<br><br>Ibogaine
      (IBO), a naturally occurring indole alkaloid<br>derived
      from the roots of the rainforest shrub<br>Tabernanthe
      iboga, has been demonstrated to have<br>efficacy for the
      blockade of opiate withdrawal.<br>However, it is likely
      that IBO's purported efficacy<br>may be due to the
      long-acting metabolite, because<br>IBO has rapid clearance
      from blood. IBOis<br>O-demethylated to noribogaine
      (norIBO) in both animals<br>and humans. We have obtained
      observational data on<br>the effects of a single-dose
      administration of<br>ibogaine on mood, craving and withdrawal
      symptoms in<br>treatment-seeking patients with
      chemical<br>dependency on opiates (N=32). We observed
      significant<br>reductions in negative health symptoms, as well
      as<br>improvements in mood and energy/vigor for the<br>post-ibogaine
      time points. Mean scores from category<br>scales of
      the HCQ-NOW29 showed significantly reduced<br>craving
      for opiates post treatment.
      Physician-rated<br>assessments and subjective reports of
      opioid-dependent<br>patient volunteers demonstrated an alleviation
      of<br>withdrawal symptoms during detoxification with IBO.<br>While
      these observations suggest treatment efficacy,<br>the
      precise mechanism(s) accounting for these
      effects<br>remain uncertain. Radioligand binding
      screens<br>demonstrated that norIBO has affinity for the
      5-HT<br>transporter (SERT) and u- and k- opiate receptors,<br>norIBO
      elevates extracellular levels of 5-HT and acts<br>as a k-
      and u- agonist. Kinetic analysis of [faxed<br>text
      unclear] norIBO gave [faxed text unclear] values<br>for
      biphasic dissociation with rapid and slow
      rate<br>constants of 9.0 + 0.4 min and 3123.4 +21.1 min
      (-2.2<br>days), respectively. Kinetic assays performed in
      the<br>presence and absence of SERT occluders resulted in
      the<br>loss of the fast dissociate rate,
      suggesting<br>pseudoirreversible binding at a second target. The<br>slow-rate of
      dissociation was blocked by the addition<br>of a u- agonist.
      The multitarget actions of norIBO may<br>explain how
      a single dose of IBO in humans blocks the<br>opiate
      withdrawal syndrome.
      Message 667 of 667 , Feb 20, 2002