question.....

  • strawberry332
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
      Hello, I'm new to the group. I have a question that I'm not sure anyone can answer. I am 55 and I've been on a relatively low dose of Methadone since 1997. I'm on 45 mgs now. I started at 35 or 40.

      Anyway, I've lost my job and can no longer afford the $14 a day dose. The clinic I go to - Colonial Management Group, does nothing to help people in this situation, which astounds me. If you can't pay, you can't dose. I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is legal? I'm sure they can do whatever they want,
      but I would like to know if there is any recourse for me?

      Thanks
      Katzmeow
    • Dann White
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
        What state are you in, and which clinic do u attend? I may be able to refer u to some1 to help you.
        Dann

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Feb 17, 2013, at 12:06 PM, "strawberry332" <PNancy206@...> wrote:

        > Hello, I'm new to the group. I have a question that I'm not sure anyone can answer. I am 55 and I've been on a relatively low dose of Methadone since 1997. I'm on 45 mgs now. I started at 35 or 40.
        >
        > Anyway, I've lost my job and can no longer afford the $14 a day dose. The clinic I go to - Colonial Management Group, does nothing to help people in this situation, which astounds me. If you can't pay, you can't dose. I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is legal? I'm sure they can do whatever they want,
        > but I would like to know if there is any recourse for me?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Katzmeow

      • strawberry332
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
          Oh, I'm so sorry, I meant to add that. I am in South Florida - Broward County. The clinic is the Clinic in Sunrise. (CMG: Colonial Management Group).

          I find it hard to believe that they just allow someone who has been on the clinic for so long to drift away without help. I am on two-week take homes and have been for a long time. My reason for staying on for so long -not that I need to explain- is the fear of being sick. I am past the point where I want to abuse drugs. :)

          --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, Dann White <dwtoo@...> wrote:

          > What state are you in, and which clinic do u attend? I may be able to refer u to some1 to help you.
          > Dann
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Feb 17, 2013, at 12:06 PM, "strawberry332" <PNancy206@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello, I'm new to the group. I have a question that I'm not sure anyone can answer. I am 55 and I've been on a relatively low dose of Methadone since 1997. I'm on 45 mgs now. I started at 35 or 40.
          > >
          > > Anyway, I've lost my job and can no longer afford the $14 a day dose. The clinic I go to - Colonial Management Group, does nothing to help people in this situation, which astounds me. If you can't pay, you can't dose. I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is legal? I'm sure they can do whatever they want,
          > > but I would like to know if there is any recourse for me?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Katzmeow

        • Dann White
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
            First: Are there any publicly owned clinics (state, county, or non-profit
            foundation owned) in your area that you could transfer to? Often programs
            that accept Medicaid will have other means by which they can subsidize
            treatment for those who are unable to pay.

            If you have prescription insurance, or had it as part of your benefits on
            the job you lost, you can usually get your doses covered by your plan. The
            central Pharmacy personnel at Colonial Management, I believe they are in
            Orlando -but your clinic will know, knows very well the information you need
            to submit to your plan in order to get your claim approved. If you had this,
            and weren't using it, you can submit claims for services rendered for 1 to
            as many as 5 years ago.

            It is important to note that you are subnmitting claims for medication,
            clinics do not charge fees for counseling and other parts of their support
            services that are not rendered by Doctors or licensed psychologists,. Clinic
            physician appointments, that you pay separately for may be billed to your
            medical coverage - but when you pay the $14, you are paying for your dose
            and as such it should be covered by your prescrtiption coverage. I once got
            $4800 od charges covered in one fell swoop for 18 months of dosing.

            There is a State Methadone Authority that oversees programs in Florida, it
            is usually under the department of health or health, (the clinic should give
            you the number) they may have advice for you, and may even require the
            program to detox you before discharging you for non-payment.

            I am fairly certain that the American Association for Treatment of Opiate
            Dependence's (AATOD's) Canon of Ethics states that their members should:
            Ensure that discharge from treatment is conducted in accordance with sound
            and medically acceptable practice. The patient will be assured of due
            process if the discharge is administrative in nature. Colonial is very
            likely still a member of that group and may be moved by reminding them of
            this expectation. Further, I would consider filing a complaint with the
            Florida Board of Medicine against the physician involved, virtually no
            hospital or treatment program would attempt a sudden withdrawal from
            methadone, because of the severe symptoms and long duration - I can almost
            assure you the medical board would not appreciate risking the patient over
            the cost of a couple of dollars of methadone.

            There is another side to this coin. Obviously you were in great distress and
            spending far more than $14 per day when you approached your program and
            requested treatment. Methadone Maintenance Treatment is not a temporary fix,
            nor is it a short-term proposition. Considered by many, including our
            federal government, of being the "Gold Standard" of treatment for opiate
            dependence; MMT works best when the patient remains in MMT for 5+ years,
            some have remained much longer - but statistical studies show that patient
            have the best chance of living drug-free after about 5 years or more of
            compliant participation in MMT.

            Addiction is a terminal illness, it does not disappear when one clears up
            their legal problems, gets a job, or gets married. Leaving treatment over a
            fee of $14 dollars a day, when statistics indicate one is at peril of
            relapse to active using would be asinine. Imagine if one were diagnosed with
            cancer, would they consider that treatment an expense they couldn't afford?
            Somehow, I don't think so.

            My point is this. Have a look at what else you are spending, for cigarettes,
            eating out, car payments, whatever!! If I were to relapse, $14 would seem
            like nothing compared to what I would spend on using. Very simply, if it
            means flipping burgers, I am paying for treatment.

            I fully agree no one should be feetoxed, (detoxed for non-payment) but if
            they are no non-profit programs where you live, you might want to consider
            relocating for a while. Forcing them to detox you slowly will still only get
            you a few days of treatment, and unless you are at the appropriate place in
            treatment, leaving treatment would be ill-advised.

            Think this over, let me know where you are with this in a day or two, and
            whether or not these resources worked out for you, if not I may have another
            thought or two about what else you might try, at any rate, for the time
            being, don't mess things up until you have tried some of these. Best wishes,

            Dann White

            Certified Methadone Advocate (RETIRED)

            uyv-----Original Message-----

            --- In <mailto:DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com>
            DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, Dann White < <mailto:dwtoo@...> dwtoo@...>

            PNancy206@...> wrote:

            > > Hello, I'm new to the group. I have a question that I'm not sure anyone
            can answer. I am 55 and I've been on a relatively low dose of Methadone
            since 1997. I'm on 45 mgs now. I started at 35 or 40.

            > > Anyway, I've lost my job and can no longer afford the $14 a day

            > > dose. The clinic I go to - Colonial Management Group, does nothing to
            help people in this situation, which astounds me. If you can't pay, you
            can't dose. I'm just curious if anyone knows if this is legal? I'm sure
            they can do whatever they want, but I would like to know if there is any
            recourse for me?

            > > Thanks

            > > Katzmeow

            Individual Email | Traditional

            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <mailto:DOLOPHINEA_CAFE-digest@yahoogroups.com>
            DOLOPHINEA_CAFE-digest@yahoogroups.com

            <mailto:DOLOPHINEA_CAFE-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>
            DOLOPHINEA_CAFE-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • strawberry332
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 17, 2013
              Wow. thank you for that information. I will look into the things you have mentioned.

              I would not be opposed to flipping burgers. IF I were accepted to do that, I would gladly take it. I have a medical billing/collections background. I am hopefully starting a part-time job in a totally different field, but the problem with that is I am waiting for all of the paperwork to come back. i.e., background check, etc., and then, of course, they are going to hold back a week.

              My last take-home was yesterday. I split the dose and took half of that this morning. It's been frustrating as hell trying to come up with the money to dose. I think I said in my initial post that I started methadone in 1997, but it was actually in 1991 that I started. Thankfully I am not on a high dose, but I am feeling the effects as we speak.

              I've been in this position maybe only once or twice before where I couldn't come up with the money to dose, and let me tell you, it ain't fun. Thanks again, I appreciate the time you have given this and I will keep you posted.

              :)

            • Nancy
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 28, 2013
                Hi Dan,

                As a follow up to my original post, and in response to your reply:

                I have been through so much since my first post that I don't remember if I responded to your reply or not.

                Fortunately, at that time, I was able to continue going to the clinic.
                But now, I find myself in this position again. I am faced with not being able to pay for my medication,
                I am writing out of stress, what is your advice? I have been applying for jobs in my field, which is medical billing and collections, and
                for employment NOT in my field. I don't understand why I can't get a job. I guess I am just reaching out.

                Nancy