Re: [METHADONIA ] The Best Way To Begin The W/Drawal Process

    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 6, 2010
      Sheryl the half life for methadone is 24 hrs not 3 weeks the problem you incurred was that you went down too fast and then jumped off of 90mgs that is enough to put you into a bad w/d and being on a bad clinic is the biggest problem. methadone works when you are at a place that knows what they are doing and cares for the patients. The proper dose is not determined by weight or size as everyone's system is different, I don't know if you needed 200mg by reading your story but some do need that much and more there are others who may only need 80mg so when one's dose is being adjusted you don't want to go up too fast as it takes your body 5 days to adjust to a dose change and when you taper off in order for a pain free taper it should be no more than 2mg every 2-3 weeks. Methadone is a time commitment and for the medication and counseling and therapy to work one should expect to be on for at least 3 years and most may need to be on for life due to the damage we do when we abuse opiates it rewires our brain chemistry. If you were on 200mg and you find suboxone to work for you then your body probably didn't need 200mg as the highest dose you can go up to on suboxone is 32mg and that is equivalent to about 60-80mg of methadone. and
      if you are getting severe cravings on suboxone you may need an increase but suboxone doesn't stop the cravings as well as methadone. I wish you the best in your recovery.
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 8, 2010
        Your letter is one of the best yet for proving that methadone can't work if
        you won't give it a chance. I am sure no one advised you to enroll in
        treatment you couldn't afford, yet you claim you did just that, and if that
        wasn't bad enough you followed that with a master stroke of leaving
        treatment without detox.
        To set the record straight for others reading this - let me point out that
        methadone's half-life is just under three days, not three weeks as you say
        you were told; the real mystery to me is how will you pay for Suboxone which
        usually costs about 2-3 times as much as methadone?
        Find your way to a reputable Opiate Treatment Program when you are ready to
        make a commitment to recovery. It is not required that you know how to
        recover up front, but it will be necessary to listen to those who do know
        and make an effort to follow the simple instructions you will be given.
        Keeping these instructions will not require cocaine or even benzos, but it
        will require that you try a new response when you need to "feel better".
        Despite your self sacrificed experience, I suspect that there are more
        patients at that clinic you mentioned that are doing well, or at least doing
        better than they were before they entered treatment. Their commitment to
        treatment included enough willingness to try it with the medication used in
        the treatment; not adding their personal preferences to the mix.
        In a way, recovery is easy, all that you have to do is GET OUT OF THE WAY
        AND LET IT WORK FOR YOU. I hope you do, the only thing worse than dying from
        your addiction is surviving and living in that hell, indefinitely.

        Dann

[...]

        14:35:00
      • Sherryl Sagendorf
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 8, 2010
          Dear Dan,

             I have to say that I was surprised at the hostility you expressed in your letter.  You should attend counseling asap.  Part of being an addict includes making poor decision repeatedly and changing your behavior so that you reach out for help via other people in the program rather than drugs.  Clearly, you are an insipid idiot who belongs chained to a clinic that condescends to treat you everyday.  Stick with your treatment, you need it.

          Sherryl S.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 8, 2010
            P. S. I'm doing better than I ever have on Suboxone under the care of a psychiatrist who is not recomending that I take mushrooms to "cure" my addiction.  Thanks for listening.  Keep coming back, clearly you need it.  This group is for support not an arrogant condescending putdown.  Clearly you are a bitter old addict who wasted their life hurting others and continue to do so.  Thanks for listening.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 8, 2010
              Thank you so much for you supportive letter.  I recieved an unsolicited letter from a "Dan" that was upsetting because it was so condescending and insensitive.  Its nice to know that there are decent men in recovery who can be supportive without feeling their masculinity is threatened.  His letter definitly made me recall the militant cliques that sometimes occur in the rooms of NA.  People that are so down on themselves and bitter that they try to make everyone around them miserable, too.  That part of NA I do not miss.  I don't want to engage with sick people who 13th step and put others down to make themselves feel better.  They are like dry drunks.

              Anyway,  I MADE IT!!!  And, by the way, my counselor was transferred to another clinic for mishandling my case.  Before he left, I talked to him and he told me that my experience of sticking up for my rights at the clinic is going to change policy and the clinic will be a better place because of it.  I understand that I was using and completely out of control, methadone was my safety net/comfort zone and it failed for me because I felt completely conflicted about being on it.  I was literally sleeping my life away.

              Today is my first week on Suboxone and for the first time I feel TERRIFFIC!!!  I've done more chores today than I have in three weeks.  I'm relearning how to be responsible/functional again without dosing and walking around in a partial coma.  I lost my methadone fat, got my hair cut and I look and feel just wonderful.  Its like I'm a newborn and I have my whole life ahead of me.

              I know that I have created alot of chaos in my life but I now feel confident that I can make improvements and meet my goals.  One day at a time.  I believe!

              Glad to be Alive,

              Sherryl S.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 8, 2010
                Thank you Vito for sharing your story............
                From: hopjr@...
                Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 01:55:28 -0500

                The rule of thumb as far as switching from methadone to suboxone is if
                one needs more than 60mg of methadone to be fully stable then usually
                suboxone won't suffice. 170 is a long way from 30mg as that is the max dose
                you should be on the lower the better for the switch. I know most want to
                switch because of the freedom involved but suboxone does not work for
                everyone just as methadone isn't for everyone. Wish you the best but plan it
                out and research it completely.

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 12, 2010
                  I am not quite sure how I came up with the statement that methadone has a
                  half-life of "just under three days", I know better and must have made a
                  mistake when editing my comments. As I recall the Merck Manual states a
                  half-life of 24-38 hours for methadone, other sources are in the same
                  general vicinity. The rest of what I said was exactly as I meant it.
                  It is sad that in many cases MMT is not available to everyone who needs it;
                  sometimes it is only available to those that can afford it. If these clinics
                  are going to admit patients who are unlikely to be able to sustain the cost
                  of treatment, they need to be required to give humane detox regimens to the
                  patients they admit.
                  Here in North Carolina you can be discharged on the first day that you
                  cannot pay with NO graduated withdrawal.
                  What a world, huh?

                  Dann

[...]

                  02:35:00
                • Angela Quillen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 19, 2010
                    Thank you soooo much 4 your story. I have decided to delay the w/drawal process for a few months atleast, due to the fact that I transferred clinics from Jacksonville to Daytona Beach.

                    From: hopjr@...
                    Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 01:55:28 -0500

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 19, 2010
                      Hi Claude! This is Ange here ( the one who started the whole ? about "What's The Best Way To Start The W/Drawal Process" )!!!! Anyways, I agree w/ alot that you have to say. I think my main issue is FEAR!!!!! Fear alone keeps me from even entertaining the thought of being w/drawn from the methadone, regardless that its medically supervised. Very luckily for me both clinics I've been w/ are very good @ pretty much everything they should be good at.. Or I'm the lucky one. Regardless, fear is my issue. I just this week that just passed transferred from the Jacksonville Metro Treatment Ctr. to the Daytona Beach Metro Treatment Ctr. For privacy reasons, I will not put down my counselors name, but I've addressed this severe FEAR I have, & he is 100% understanding, & will help me every step of the way when I'm ready to start w/drawing. I did make the decision to hold-off for a few months on the w/drawal process because I would like to become much better
                      acquainted w/ my counselor & I am hoping that while doing this it will help w/ my mental block I'm having about this. If you or anyone else have any words of wisdom re: the fear I'm experiencing, I would love to hear it..    -  Thanx, Ange Q.