Re: higher dose?

  • wickedmystickmuzick
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 27, 2008
      --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "Kristy" <kristykellymail@...>
      wrote:

      > I have been on the exact same dose for two years. Before that, I did
      > adjust my dose every several months but I always found that it made
      > no difference at all but with me, I think it was in my head, yours
      > probably isnt. ( :
      > When you have been on the same dose for an extended period of time
      > and you begin to feel the need to increase your dose because you have
      > pain, that may be BUT I've learned that you should consider these
      > things first:
      >
      > A. Is the pain you have now, new and different from your initial
      > pain? If so, more methadone probably will not help much.
      >
      > B. Our bodies use pain to tell use that something's wrong and if your
      > pain is different or worse and you cover it with methadone, you may
      > miss important clues about a problem.
      >
      > C. Have you tried other remedies yet?
      >
      > D. Are you taking your dose at the same time every day as you should?
      >
      > E. Have you talked to your Dr. about trying a split dose? Where you
      > would take half of your normal dose when you wake and the other half
      > about 12 hours later. That seems to work well for those that
      > metabolize things quickly.
      >
      > I hope this helps. Believe me, I know what you're going through and
      > you're not alone! Feel free to email me anytime.
      > Good luck!
      >
      > --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "bountysbaby"
      > <bountysbaby@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Im wondering if anyone out there (after being on same dose for
      > over a
      > > year), has had to get a higher dose because your regular dose will
      > not
      > > help with your pain anymore?

      i , myself have a very progressive pain disease, and i am on a really
      high dose. i didn't want to go that high,but with the problems i have
      which are all very degenerative and rapidly progressing, i had to keep
      increasing. now, my doctors want to put me on a morphine pump, but
      i'm afraid of that, so i just deal with the pain. the whole reason i
      am on methadone is because it works so good as a pain control
      medication without the high. i take my dose 4 times a day, and i have
      morphine for breakthrough pain. i really hate being on so much
      medication, so recently i have tried certain herbal remedies one of
      which ia legal here in california if you get what i am talking about.
      it seems to help with the muscle spasms that i get. i guess what i am
      trying to say is that it all depends on exactly what type of pain you
      have. i have fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and multiple
      organ failure, so i know my situation is not going to get any better,
      and i just had to learn my limitations and not push myself. are you in
      a pain management support group? i work closely with a suppport group,
      so i am always accountable to others who help me make sure i am just
      taking it for the pain, and not to numb my emotions. i hope this helps.