Re: higher dose?

  • Kristy
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 25, 2008
      I have been on the exact same dose for two years. Before that, I did
      adjust my dose every several months but I always found that it made
      no difference at all but with me, I think it was in my head, yours
      probably isnt. ( :
      When you have been on the same dose for an extended period of time
      and you begin to feel the need to increase your dose because you have
      pain, that may be BUT I've learned that you should consider these
      things first:

      A. Is the pain you have now, new and different from your initial
      pain? If so, more methadone probably will not help much.

      B. Our bodies use pain to tell use that something's wrong and if your
      pain is different or worse and you cover it with methadone, you may
      miss important clues about a problem.

      C. Have you tried other remedies yet?

      D. Are you taking your dose at the same time every day as you should?

      E. Have you talked to your Dr. about trying a split dose? Where you
      would take half of your normal dose when you wake and the other half
      about 12 hours later. That seems to work well for those that
      metabolize things quickly.

      I hope this helps. Believe me, I know what you're going through and
      you're not alone! Feel free to email me anytime.
      Good luck!

      --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "bountysbaby"
      <bountysbaby@...> wrote:

      > Im wondering if anyone out there (after being on same dose for
      over a
      > year), has had to get a higher dose because your regular dose will
      not
      > help with your pain anymore?

    • wickedmystickmuzick
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2008
        --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "Kristy" <kristykellymail@...>
        wrote:

        > I have been on the exact same dose for two years. Before that, I did
        > adjust my dose every several months but I always found that it made
        > no difference at all but with me, I think it was in my head, yours
        > probably isnt. ( :
        > When you have been on the same dose for an extended period of time
        > and you begin to feel the need to increase your dose because you have
        > pain, that may be BUT I've learned that you should consider these
        > things first:
        >
        > A. Is the pain you have now, new and different from your initial
        > pain? If so, more methadone probably will not help much.
        >
        > B. Our bodies use pain to tell use that something's wrong and if your
        > pain is different or worse and you cover it with methadone, you may
        > miss important clues about a problem.
        >
        > C. Have you tried other remedies yet?
        >
        > D. Are you taking your dose at the same time every day as you should?
        >
        > E. Have you talked to your Dr. about trying a split dose? Where you
        > would take half of your normal dose when you wake and the other half
        > about 12 hours later. That seems to work well for those that
        > metabolize things quickly.
        >
        > I hope this helps. Believe me, I know what you're going through and
        > you're not alone! Feel free to email me anytime.
        > Good luck!
        >
        > --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "bountysbaby"
        > <bountysbaby@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Im wondering if anyone out there (after being on same dose for
        > over a
        > > year), has had to get a higher dose because your regular dose will
        > not
        > > help with your pain anymore?

        i , myself have a very progressive pain disease, and i am on a really
        high dose. i didn't want to go that high,but with the problems i have
        which are all very degenerative and rapidly progressing, i had to keep
        increasing. now, my doctors want to put me on a morphine pump, but
        i'm afraid of that, so i just deal with the pain. the whole reason i
        am on methadone is because it works so good as a pain control
        medication without the high. i take my dose 4 times a day, and i have
        morphine for breakthrough pain. i really hate being on so much
        medication, so recently i have tried certain herbal remedies one of
        which ia legal here in california if you get what i am talking about.
        it seems to help with the muscle spasms that i get. i guess what i am
        trying to say is that it all depends on exactly what type of pain you
        have. i have fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and multiple
        organ failure, so i know my situation is not going to get any better,
        and i just had to learn my limitations and not push myself. are you in
        a pain management support group? i work closely with a suppport group,
        so i am always accountable to others who help me make sure i am just
        taking it for the pain, and not to numb my emotions. i hope this helps.