Re: New Member

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
      --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, Roxanne <bluelady16.1@...>
      wrote:
      >Rokki, in Kriag's letter he abbreviated methadone (at the end of his
      letter) done I took it short for methadone. Now I really don't
      usually like to abbreviate anything for methadone for the main reason
      many times the general public who don't know any better they get
      methanphetamine with methadone when you hear meth. But since he was
      asking a question and I replyed I just followed what he had written.
      At first when I read his letter I didn't understand it either, kinda
      of ask myself the same thing what is done, so when I responded I
      realized what he was staying. Buy I really rather use the word
      methadone. Sorry for the confusion but it did bring up an interesting
      point.
      > Janet...what is 'done"?
      >
      > Rokki
      >

      > Janet wrote:
      > > --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "Kraig Brisbay"
      <colkraig@>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hi,my name is Kraig.I have been on done for 3yrs.Ipay
      > >> $60.00 a weekplus $10.00 for a UA.Thats $250.00 a month.And the
      state
      > >> charges $40.00 a year.You might say thats exspensive but I
      couldnt of
      > >> stayed sober without it.Iam still sick but i have medicine to
      control
      > >> it legally.Now the trick to get to get off the done.Any
      sudgestions.

      > > Dear Kraig,
      > > First and foremost are you ready to get off of the program? Even
      if you
      > > got on because of a medical problem you still have to remember
      that
      > > only you know if your ready to get off of the methadone and are
      you
      > > going to be able to take your meds as prescribed? The reason I am
      > > asking these questions are that if you feel strong enough to come
      off
      > > of the done, do it slowly. If you start feeling sick tell them to
      lay
      > > off for awhile. But I really believe you can do it once you put
      your
      > > mind to it, just be very careful as to coming off to fast.
      Remember
      > > that you can always stop for awhile if you want and then as your
      body
      > > is getting use to the mg your on then you can continue with
      detox.
      > > Good luck to you,
      > > Janet Woods
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Roxanne Baker C.M.A.
      > Vice President/Chapter Coordinator
      > NAMA Board
      > NAMA-NorCal
      > www.methadone.org
      > http://www.cafepress.com/namastore
      > bluelady16.1@...
      > METHADONE *IS* MEDICINE

    • Roxanne
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2006
        Janet,

        I asked as words like that feed stigma and we live with enough of
        that. We fight each and every day to end stigma and if the service
        workers,and Certified Methadone Advocates,can't use the right language
        then why are we here. I am known around the NAMA home front as "The
        Language Police" and have corrected many people when they use the term
        'client'. As Dr Tom Payte syas,I stole this from him" A Client is
        someone who goes to a massage parlor or to an attorney....A Patient is
        someone who receives medical care...Methadone is prescribed by a Dr and
        administered either by a Nurse/Pharmacist/Chemist,depending on what part
        of the world your in...This makes us patients as we receive medical care
        done in a medical modality. Insurance companies pay for patient
        care,they will not cover client services. So,in order to empower others
        so they too can stand up tall and come out of the closet while in this
        treatment,I try to educate folks any where that I can. I Advocate on a
        Local,State,National and International level and do IN-Services at
        Programs to help patients become empowered. I sit on CA's ADP<Alcohol
        Drug Programs> Advisory board and help with policy changes for better
        care for my patients here in CA. Who else is gonna do it for them? The
        Providers? I don't think so..Not many anyway and CA does have some good
        ones...Now that they have met me they are even better...:) I have been
        a one woman army for over a decade now and will fight to end stigma til
        my last breathe...:) Words are things and will take on a life of their
        own. We are stigmatized enough so I take it to the next level.

        Take Care

        Rokki

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 18, 2006
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > wrote:
          > >
          > >> Rokki, in Kriag's letter he abbreviated methadone (at the end of
          his

          > > letter) done I took it short for methadone. Now I really don't
          > > usually like to abbreviate anything for methadone for the main
          reason
          > > many times the general public who don't know any better they get
          > > methanphetamine with methadone when you hear meth. But since he
          was
          > > asking a question and I replyed I just followed what he had
          written.
          > > At first when I read his letter I didn't understand it either,
          kinda
          > > of ask myself the same thing what is done, so when I responded I
          > > realized what he was staying. Buy I really rather use the word
          > > methadone. Sorry for the confusion but it did bring up an

          I agree 100%!! You will never believe were I started using the word
          client, from the nurse's and other staff at our clinic. Your right we
          are patient's not client's and I will ask Roz the women who heads our
          clinic (GREAT LADY) how it began to go from patient to client.
          Have a Happy Holiday!
          Janet
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2009
            Hello I'm a new member to the cafe. I recently started a MMT program and it really seems to be helping me. I'm quite surprized and pleased. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I have been hearing alot of positive things about methadone here at the cafe. I'm glad I joined. Good Morning out there to everybody. Enjoy the day!
          • Roxanne Baker
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10, 2009
              --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <mrkhnnssy@...> wrote:

              > Hello I'm a new member to the cafe. I recently started a MMT program and it really seems to be helping me. I'm quite surprized and pleased. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I have been hearing alot of positive things about methadone here at the cafe. I'm glad I joined. Good Morning out there to everybody. Enjoy the day!

              Hi Mark,

              Another great forum with lots of activity and good folks is called "WE SPEAK METHADONE" and it can be found at www.methadone.org just click on the drop down menu. You will find lots of support and no judgmental folks. There are patients and ex-patients patients on Suboxone/Subutex ...
              This is the most action this list has seen in over a year...:)

              So glad to hear that methadone is working for you...:) Thats the most important thing that it works and that your at the right dose for you...:)

              Take Care

              Message 6 of 12 , May 10, 2009
                Welcome Mark, and I congratulate you on your recovery as methadone is recovery and always remember that,it is a life saving medication and what you have described about "light at the end of the tunnel" is a common phrase in which I have heard over the years from many people who have chosen the methadone modality or "medicated assisted treatment" which is a phrase that encompasses the other medications that is also used for opiate addiction.May all your journeys be pleasant ones.