Re: [METHADONIA ] Re: General Check in

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 9, 2006
      NJ has no laws regarding feetox that may be the problem, it is totally up to the individual clinic one may tox you after a dollar another may work with you for several months and some may place you on free care (in special cases) so it is all dependent upon the clinic and nothing else.
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 9, 2006
        methadone in ny is subsidized by the city that is why the fee structure is different but there are pvt clinics where fees are much different.
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 10, 2006
          I hear ya. The stigma associated with methadone is so unfair! It
          seems like no one sees or talks about the successful patients, but
          once they see a patient that is still using, that patient is used to
          judge all patients. It seems like a never-ending circle. The
          successful patient doesn't want to admit to being a MMT patient due
          to the stigma, but how do we change this without showing our success
          stories? Don't get me wrong, I am in no way criticizing any patient
          that feels they need to keep their status private (for whatever the
          reason) ... I am just thinking outloud.

          What kind of pick-ups were you able to get at your clinic? Are you
          able to get weekly pick-ups?
          Is anyone on monthly pick-ups at your clinic?
          I forget...does New Jersey's regs allow monthly pick-ups? Claude?

          Hang in there, Stephanie

          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 10, 2006
            Steph,
            You are right on point in what you say and I wish I knew what to tell a patient who is successful in reference to stepping out of the shadows. I have been places on talks where people were surprised when I divulged my secret and even more so when I told them it has been over 30 yrs. I've been told many times that I don't look like any of the patients that they have seen or know. But even though I have no problem in telling people I also pick and choose my audience only for the benefit of my spouse and her job and my kids and grandkids for me personally I don't care who knows at this point but I have to think about my family as they have no part in this so why should I make them have to explain something that I am responsible for.

            And yes Jersey has had monthlies ever since the reg change, actually it's 28days to make it easier on logistics.
            I hear ya. The stigma associated with methadone is so unfair! It
            seems like no one sees or talks about the successful patients, but
            once they see a patient that is still using, that patient is used to
            judge all patients. It seems like a never-ending circle. The
            successful patient doesn't want to admit to being a MMT patient due
            to the stigma, but how do we change this without showing our success
            stories? Don't get me wrong, I am in no way criticizing any patient
            that feels they need to keep their status private (for whatever the
            reason) ... I am just thinking outloud.

            What kind of pick-ups were you able to get at your clinic? Are you
            able to get weekly pick-ups?
            Is anyone on monthly pick-ups at your clinic?
            I forget...does New Jersey's regs allow monthly pick-ups? Claude?

            Hang in there, Stephanie

            On Oct 9, 2006, at 10:01 AM, jcruml wrote:

            > Beleive it or not it was the money I ended up with my balance
            > exceeding $129.00 that is when they start to detox you. New Jersey
            > laws are so screwed up when it comes to methadone. I wouldn't mind
            > staying on forever because I'm straight and I have absolutely no
            > desire to use at all. My only problem with it is the lack of freedom
            > associated with it. If I could only visit the clinic only twice to
            > four times a month it would be very ideal for me. I see no shame in
            > methadone however the rest of the world doesn't see things the same
            > way. Everybody thinks that when you are on methadone you are high.
            > That's not the case at all.

          • jerome crumlish
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 10, 2006
              it's an opiaoid not an opiate. it's synthetic

              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 10, 2006
                thanks for the input claude

                --- claude <hopjr@...> wrote:

                > NJ has no laws regarding feetox that may be the
                > problem, it is totally up to the individual clinic
                > one may tox you after a dollar another may work with
                > you for several months and some may place you on
                > free care (in special cases) so it is all dependent
                > upon the clinic and nothing else.
                > Claude

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Rokki
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                  Like I said...opioid

                  jerome crumlish wrote:

> [...]
                  > > funny thing. Even
                  > > > the DEA websites speak praise about methadone
                  > > maintenance programs.
                  > > > George W. Boush said that he doesn't want the
                  > > united states to become
                  > > > another Europe(social policies, public transit,
                  > > drug policies, and
                  > > > healthcare) this has it's problems of course, but
                  > > it is ideal
                  > > > compared to the blight we are facing in this
                  > > country. The only way
                  > > > the attitudes towards maintenance will change is
                  > > when some elected
                  > > > officials grow a pair of LARGE LUMPY ROUND UGLY
                  > > HAIRY WRINKLY VEINOUS
                  > > > BULBOUS danglers and speak out against the status
                  > > quo.
                  > > > --
                  > > > - In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:DOLOPHINEA_CAFE%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > > <mailto:DOLOPHINEA_CAFE%40yahoogroups.com>,

                • Stephanie Vazquez
                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                    If a patient has Medicaid, it pays for their MMT here in New York.
                    The clinic that I go to, which has thousands of patients, has a
                    sliding scale for those without medicaid. For example, I pay $15.00
                    per "MONTH". My fee would have been $30.00 per month, but I am on a
                    2 week pick-up so they cut my fee in half since I no longer have a
                    counselor.
                    We also have some private clinics in the city where the fees are up
                    there just like the rest of the USA. I consider myself very, very
                    fortunate because if I cannot even imagine where I would be if I had
                    to pay a fee like you all are paying.

                    Take care, Stephanie

                    On Oct 9, 2006, at 6:17 PM, claude wrote:

                    > methadone in ny is subsidized by the city that is why the fee
                    > structure is different but there are pvt clinics where fees are
                    > much different.
                    > Claude
                  • Stephanie Vazquez
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
                      Opium is a black, gooey extract of the opium poppy (papaver
                      somniferum). The main active ingredients in opium are the drugs
                      morphine and codeine. These and other drugs found in or manufactured
                      from opium are called "opiates". Heroin is made from morphine so it
                      is also an opiate.

                      Opiate: Any of various sedative narcotics containing opium or one or
                      more of its natural or synthetic derivatives.
                      A drug, hormone, or other chemical substance having sedative or
                      narcotic effects similar to those containing opium or its
                      derivatives: a natural brain opiate. Also called opioid.
                      Opiate and opioid are the same.....

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                        Steph,
                        Just a slight correction, you were basically correct on most of the stuff but as far as opioid vs opiate they are not exactly the same, to sum it real quick an opiate is something that is derived from opium (poppy) a opioid is a synthetic form of an opiate.

                        Also heroin comes from the poppy and not morphine.

                        Opium is a black, gooey extract of the opium poppy (papaver
                        somniferum). The main active ingredients in opium are the drugs
                        morphine and codeine. These and other drugs found in or manufactured
                        from opium are called "opiates". Heroin is made from morphine so it
                        is also an opiate.

                        Opiate: Any of various sedative narcotics containing opium or one or
                        more of its natural or synthetic derivatives.
                        A drug, hormone, or other chemical substance having sedative or
                        narcotic effects similar to those containing opium or its
                        derivatives: a natural brain opiate. Also called opioid.
                        Opiate and opioid are the same.....

                        > jerome crumlish wrote:
                        > >
                        > > it's an opiaoid not an opiate. it's synthetic
                        > >
                        > > --- Rokki <bluelady16.1@...
                        > > <mailto:bluelady16.1%40netzero.net>> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > So,please share your wisdom...what is methadone if
                        > > > not an Opioid?

                        > > > funny thing. Even
                        > > > maintenance programs.
                        > > > united states to become
                        > > > drug policies, and
                        > > > it is ideal
                        > > > country. The only way
                        > > > when some elected
                        > > > HAIRY WRINKLY VEINOUS
                        > > > quo.

                      • Stephanie Vazquez
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                          Claude,
                          Thanks for the info. I know that methadone is synthetic and is an
                          opioid, but I am still confused. :)
                          I guess that was the reason why I originally looked the different
                          words up. If you look below, I added in where I got the info that I
                          wrote. I copied it exactly as it was written. The first was a FAQ
                          that Dr. Newman has at the below site.

                          One other thing....whenever anyone at my clinic gets a positive for
                          heroin, it always shows up as a positive for morphine.

                          The second part I got from the medical dictionary that I added on below.
                          Then I guess I just assumed (LOL) because of what it stated, that
                          opiate and opioid could be used for each other. I can see that they
                          really can not, but I still don't understand why they wrote "Also
                          called opioid" and all that it says before that comment.

                          I probably am reading too much into it, though I am truly confused.

                          Confused Stephanie :) Help

                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                            Steph,
                            Don't feel bad allot of stuff written on different sites can be quite confusing as it happens to me as well and also remember you can't accept what is written because one source states something. I always tell people when I give them information that I believe is accurate and reliable I tell them now I have your attention go research it yourself because if it is something that is widely accepted in the treatment and research community by credible scientist and physicians you will find it at multiple locations.

                            The reason heroin and any opiate comes back as morphine at your clinic is due to the lab they use and how they screen the u/a. There are many ways but the more you break items down to a more finite testing the more it costs. So the cheapest way is when they test they check for opium markers at certain levels and since heroin and morphine and codeine and all of your other opiate drugs all come from opium so all they have to do is test for opium. Back in the day they use to check for quinine (sp) as that was the most popular cut used so if you tested pos for quinine the assumption would be you used heroin but users became cleaver real quick and if it showed up they would say I had a gin and tonic which quinine is in the tonic. Just a little trivial.

                            Let me make sure I get this correct I believe an opiate can be an opioid but an opioid can't be an opiate. As you have some drugs that are part synthetic and part natural, I think I got this part right but I stand to be corrected as I can use the excuse that the interferon screwed up my memory and I really do have a poor memory.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 14, 2006
                              Claude,
                              You are too funny! LOL
                              I think that what is left of my brain has had it with researching
                              terminology for awhile...lol
                              though I do like the way you have broke it down (below)!
                              Take care, Stephanie

                            • gms2218@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 14, 2006
                                I'd just like to take a sec. to thank all of you for your support and your
                                sharing of your trails and tribulations, I've been on my program for about 15
                                years now and before I found this site I felt like I had no one out there
                                that understood the ups and downs that come with being in recover through the
                                use of meth now I can come here and vent my frustrations and also share my
                                positive events. I think it's very important well for me anyway to know that I'm
                                not alone. But when I listen to the horror stories of how much clinics charge
                                and how hard people struggle to get their take homes I get grateful
                                immediately, you see I'm a Veteran and fortunately for me and other vets we don't
                                have to pay for our med's which is a blessing and as far as take homes I only
                                report to my clinic twice a month unless I want to attend a group during the
                                week which is totally voluntary unless you are screwing up (lol) but you
                                know its funny I listen to the guys at my clinic how they complain about this
                                and complain about that you know petty things like the lines are to long and
                                the don't like this counselor or that one etc. I just kind of smile and just
                                give them our web address and tell them if you want a dose of gratitude just
                                log on and listen to some of the brothers and sisters out there and what
                                they're going through and believe me you'll have a totally different outlook on
                                things. So to everyone just hang in there and keep the faith.

                                Peace
                                Bmoreslim