TWO very good questions

  • James C. Creeden
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
      Hi my name is Jim ,

      I have recently been told two things regarding methadone that I have
      found hard to swallow.

      The first is something a doctor told me while I was in the hospital. I
      take 90 mgs of meth for pain and have been for a few years. Well I was
      admitted into the hospital and only given 60mgs and when I asked why
      my dose was lowered the doc (not my primary doc) told me it was
      because after 40mgs all of the pain was stopped and the rest was just
      being wasted! Any comments regarding 40mgs blocking all the pain on
      everyone ?

      Next question I had a guy I met in the hospital who told me he took
      methadone illegaly at times and when I asked him if he had any
      concerns about his job ever drug testing him he said no because
      methadone did not show up in tests. In fact he was a patient and had
      taken meth before admitance and had a blood test with negative
      results,so he says! So is he lieing , is there truth to this?

      Thank you ,
      Jim
    • Oats Willie
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
        hey Jim~ Oats here with my 2 cents worth for your good questions..As
        far as what the doctor is telling you about 40 mgs. is enuff for pain
        I think is ridiculous..I don't see why he thinks methadone is any
        different than any other opiate used for pain. That's like saying 40
        mgs. is all you need to block the cravings, and anymore is just
        wasted..And that SURE doesn't make any sense to me! I don't know what
        his motive is for telling you this. And as far as the drug testing, I
        do believe that methadone has to specifically be looked for in a
        test. I do believe that in the average tests given by most companies,
        etc.,I don't think it will show up. Your friend may be correct in his
        statement. I have heard this many times before but don't actually
        have any personal experience with it. Maybe someone else could give a
        statement or you could ask a nurse or staff member who you know is
        knowledgeable about the test that clinics give. Ask if it is any
        different than other tests. Thanks for the great post and thanks for
        stopping by the CAFE'! Your friendly sober host and NAMA state
        advocate(MISS. & S. ALA) Oats

        --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "James C. Creeden"
        <friendlyfarmer2001@y...> wrote:

        > Hi my name is Jim ,
        >
        > I have recently been told two things regarding methadone that I have
        > found hard to swallow.
        >
        > The first is something a doctor told me while I was in the
        hospital. I
        > take 90 mgs of meth for pain and have been for a few years. Well I
        was
        > admitted into the hospital and only given 60mgs and when I asked why
        > my dose was lowered the doc (not my primary doc) told me it was
        > because after 40mgs all of the pain was stopped and the rest was
        just
        > being wasted! Any comments regarding 40mgs blocking all the pain on
        > everyone ?
        >
        > Next question I had a guy I met in the hospital who told me he took
        > methadone illegaly at times and when I asked him if he had any
        > concerns about his job ever drug testing him he said no because
        > methadone did not show up in tests. In fact he was a patient and had
        > taken meth before admitance and had a blood test with negative
        > results,so he says! So is he lieing , is there truth to this?
        >
        > Thank you ,
        > Jim
      • Rowdy Hakes
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
          "James C. Creeden" <friendlyfarmer2001@...> wrote:
[...]

          Hey Jim,

          Good questions, but your Dr. was pulling your leg about the 40mgs. thing, for one thing everyone is different, two the average dose to stop cavings is between 80-120mgs. For pain I,m not sure, I think that's smaller doses every 4-6 hrs??? I take 155mgs of methadone every morning, and because of severe osteoarthritis, I also take morphine and other goodies. I just had a total knee replacement in December, if I would have had a Dr. like yours, I would have never made it though the surgery. My surgeon has known me for a while, and he gave me my methadone, oral morphine, plus a morphine pump, so I could dose myself every 10 minutes if neened. You need to shop for a Dr. that's going to be on the same page as you are on, when it comes to methadone, or you will wind up in alot of pain.( I hope you were OK?)

          The second question the other answers you got are true I think, the test has to be set up for methadone, or it won't show up. I hope this helps some, have a great day, and stay out of trouble : ).

          Steven"Rowdy"Hakes

          Southern Arizona NAMA Chapter
          Steven"Rowdy"Hakes (Director)
          rowdy582004@...
          "Together we can make a difference"
          NAMA Main Chapter
          http://www.methadone.org/
          Hepatitis "C" website
          http://www.nahtf.org

        • James C. Creeden
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2005
            Thanks R. Hakes,

            Ok so let me ask all you again....

            If one was to take a drug test that looked for opiate use and he or
            she had been on methadone what would the results be?

            Thanks ,
            Jim friendlyfarmer2001@... IM = FRIENDLYFARMER2001

            --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, Rowdy Hakes <rowdy582004@y...>
            wrote:

            > "James C. Creeden" <friendlyfarmer2001@y...> wrote:
            > Hi my name is Jim ,
            >
            > I have recently been told two things regarding methadone that I have
            > found hard to swallow.
            >
            > The first is something a doctor told me while I was in the hospital. I
            > take 90 mgs of meth for pain and have been for a few years. Well I was
            > admitted into the hospital and only given 60mgs and when I asked why
            > my dose was lowered the doc (not my primary doc) told me it was
            > because after 40mgs all of the pain was stopped and the rest was just
            > being wasted! Any comments regarding 40mgs blocking all the pain on
            > everyone ?
            >
            > Next question I had a guy I met in the hospital who told me he took
            > methadone illegaly at times and when I asked him if he had any
            > concerns about his job ever drug testing him he said no because
            > methadone did not show up in tests. In fact he was a patient and had
            > taken meth before admitance and had a blood test with negative
            > results,so he says! So is he lieing , is there truth to this?
            >
            > Thank you ,
            > Jim

            > Hey Jim,
            >
            > Good questions, but your Dr. was pulling your leg about the
            40mgs. thing, for one thing everyone is different, two the average
            dose to stop cavings is between 80-120mgs. For pain I,m not sure, I
            think that's smaller doses every 4-6 hrs??? I take 155mgs of methadone
            every morning, and because of severe osteoarthritis, I also take
            morphine and other goodies. I just had a total knee replacement in
            December, if I would have had a Dr. like yours, I would have never
            made it though the surgery. My surgeon has known me for a while, and
            he gave me my methadone, oral morphine, plus a morphine pump, so I
            could dose myself every 10 minutes if neened. You need to shop for a
            Dr. that's going to be on the same page as you are on, when it comes
            to methadone, or you will wind up in alot of pain.( I hope you were OK?)

            > The second question the other answers you got are true I think,
            the test has to be set up for methadone, or it won't show up. I hope
            this helps some, have a great day, and stay out of trouble : ).

            > Steven"Rowdy"Hakes
            >

            > Southern Arizona NAMA Chapter
            > Steven"Rowdy"Hakes (Director)
            > rowdy582004@y...
            > "Together we can make a difference"
            > NAMA Main Chapter
            > http://www.methadone.org/
            > Hepatitis "C" website
            > http://www.nahtf.org

          • Stephanie Vazquez
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2005
              Hello Jim,
              Methadone will not show up in a screen for "OPIATES". It requires it
              own specific test.
              If the place doing the drug, uses a 5 panel drug screen, methadone is
              not included (AFAIK), however, if the lab they use, does a 10 panel
              drug screen, then methadone is included. So, it all depends on the
              type of drug screening that is used or that the company or person is
              requesting. You can put "drug screening and methadone" in a search
              engine and they will explain about "panel tests".

              As far as this 40mg comment your doctor made, first of all, it is not
              true. However, there are documents talking about 40 mg of methadone as
              a partial blockade....etc, etc. It means something totally
              different. If I am explaining this correctly, blockade has to do with
              tolerance and the patients protection against the euphoric effects and
              also protection against any respiratory distress that that would occur
              with the opiate free patient.
              Here is an article:
              http://www.methadone.org/namadocuments/es09pain_management.html

              I hope that this helps.
              Take care,
              Stephanie Vazquez
              NYC NAMA
              ssv55@...
              http://www.methadone.org

              On Feb 4, 2005, at 2:04 PM, James C. Creeden wrote:

              > Hi my name is Jim ,
              >
              > I have recently been told two things regarding methadone that I have
              > found hard to swallow.
              >
              > The first is something a doctor told me while I was in the hospital. I
              > take 90 mgs of meth for pain and have been for a few years. Well I was
              > admitted into the hospital and only given 60mgs and when I asked why
              > my dose was lowered the doc (not my primary doc) told me it was
              > because after 40mgs all of the pain was stopped and the rest was just
              > being wasted! Any comments regarding 40mgs blocking all the pain on
              > everyone ?
              >
              > Next question I had a guy I met in the hospital who told me he took
              > methadone illegaly at times and when I asked him if he had any
              > concerns about his job ever drug testing him he said no because
              > methadone did not show up in tests. In fact he was a patient and had
              > taken meth before admitance and had a blood test with negative
              > results,so he says! So is he lieing , is there truth to this?
              >
              > Thank you ,
            • James
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 5, 2005
                Thank you Stephanie,

                I think you explained your self very well and I can
                not only understand this answer but will use it along
                with that article to school this self centered doc . I
                mean who knows I may half to return to his care one
                day *gulp*...

                Thank you so much,
                Jim

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail