Overseas Clinics in Asia

  • surfelvistx
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2004
      I will probably be traveling to either South Korea or Japan to teach
      English in the very near future. Does anyone know if it possible to
      continue on Meth Maintenance in either of these countries? if not,
      can one go to a local physician and have it prescribed in either of
      these two countries? especially if it is for pain management?

      Otherwise, is it possible to obtain it in Guam, a US territory, by
      traveling there once a month or more? What about Thailand,
      Phillipines, Hong Kong, etc. Perhaps I could travel there once a
      month to obtain it. Airfare is pretty cheap once you are over in
      Asia (I used to teach in Hong Kong and Korea approx'ly twenty years
      ago, but was not on maintenance then).

      If anyone has had a similar experience and/or knows anything about
      this, I would greatly appreciate a response. I will either have to
      begin detoxing soon or will have to turn this opportunity down. I
      have chronic migraine headaches, and when Imitrex does not work, I
      will have to go back to taking painpills, which I am sure I will,
      once again, become addicted to quickly, and I am not looking forward
      to this happening all over again.

      Thank you for your help.
    • Oats Willie
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2004
        Hey There,surfelvistx?? I'm sorry but I didn't catch your name the
        other day..That was pretty neat seeing you at 'my' clinic in Houston!!
        This is definetely a very small world we occupy for the time being..
        And remember, there are NO coincidences! I hope you find the info you
        are looking for..Oh, and by the way, Steve T., at the clinic, doesn't
        know about this site. Unless he stumbled upon it on his own. I really
        have never had the chance to talk to anyone over there because I am
        so pressed for time every time I am there, which is only once a
        month.I rent a car to get there from Mississippi and I get out of
        there(5:30-6 am) just in time to beat the terrible rush hour traffic
        on that interstate network over there. I was thinking about making
        some flyers to put in the clinic telling about this club. Maybe I
        could muster up some more members and liven it up a bit. But it has
        it's highs and lows like it always has. I have so much on my plate
        and time keeps getting shorter and shorter trying to get things you
        need done. I hardly have time these days to get here myself..How long
        have you been at that clinic? I started last December, when I
        transferred from the mickey mouse clinic I survived at (barely) in
        Alabama for eight years.. I wish I would've changed clinics years
        ago.. I REALLY wish someone could manage to open a clinic in my OWN
        state!! I helped get it 'legal' to have them over 2 years ago and
        there still are none open. I think the powers that be are making it
        impossible for anyone to open one up. It's just disgusting and a
        screwed up situation all the way around..Maybe before I leave my body
        one might open up! Anyway, good luck on whatever you end up doing as
        far as going overseas.. Chaio~Allen'Oats' Schultz Gulf Coast NAMA

        --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, "surfelvistx"
        <surfelvistx@y...> wrote:
        > I will probably be traveling to either South Korea or Japan to
        teach
        > English in the very near future. Does anyone know if it possible
        > continue on Meth Maintenance in either of these countries? if not,
        > can one go to a local physician and have it prescribed in either of
        > these two countries? especially if it is for pain management?
        >
        > Otherwise, is it possible to obtain it in Guam, a US territory, by
        > traveling there once a month or more? What about Thailand,
        > Phillipines, Hong Kong, etc. Perhaps I could travel there once a
        > month to obtain it. Airfare is pretty cheap once you are over in
        > Asia (I used to teach in Hong Kong and Korea approx'ly twenty years
        > ago, but was not on maintenance then).
        >
        > If anyone has had a similar experience and/or knows anything about
        > this, I would greatly appreciate a response. I will either have to
        > begin detoxing soon or will have to turn this opportunity down. I
        > have chronic migraine headaches, and when Imitrex does not work, I
        > will have to go back to taking painpills, which I am sure I will,
        > once again, become addicted to quickly, and I am not looking
        forward
        > to this happening all over again.
        >
        > Thank you for your help.
      • Apaulling
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2004
          hello all,
          I go to a clinic in houston as well, not Steve t's but another where
          steve used to work about 13 years ago ( I have been going for 15
          years). I have some good stories & insight into meth treatment, I
          will write more when I get a chance.
          By the way, I have some gmail invites if anyone is interested - it is
          the new google web mail service with 1 gig of storage, & capacity for
          large attachments. email me at apaulling@... if anyone wants an
          invite.

          On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:26:49 -0000, Oats Willie <odubya@...> wrote:
          > Hey There,surfelvistx?? I'm sorry but I didn't catch your name the
          > other day..That was pretty neat seeing you at 'my' clinic in Houston!!
        • Tracy Lilly
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
            Dear Oats Willie:

            What a coincidence !!

            As far as alternatives to driving to Houston once a month, have you tried to get a local or quasi-local physician to prescribe Methadone to you either there in Alabama (local) or in Mississippi or Louisiana (quasi-local)?

            Here in Houston, there are several doctors who will prescribe Methadone (M), however, they will not go as high in dosage as TTC (Texas Treatment Center) will. I believe that when they made it legal or okay for private physicians to prescribe M, it was nationwide, not just here in Texas.

            It will be a great day when we can just get it prescribed over the phone or via mail (regular or email) and just go pick it up at our local pharmacy or have it mailed to us!! Wishful thinking...

            I'm sure that there are lots of cancer patients who live in rural areas who have the same problem that you do. What do they do? Do they have doctors who will prescribe it by mail? or just require once-a-month office visits and still prescribe a large amount (and large I mean over 100 mg/day)?

            If there are, how would you ever find out about them?

            I am so glad that you have this site.

            Did you survive the hurricane? I can't remember if I saw you at the clinic before or after Ivan last hit in or near Mobile, Alabama. If you did go through it, how was it? Did you go to a shelter? or flee back to Texas? I hope that you and yours are okay and did not suffer any injury or loss of property.

            Well, that's it for now. When do you come to the clinic each month? When will you be coming next month, or in October? Let me know and I'll make sure that I'm there next time so we can briefly talk before you have to rush back East along I-10 to beat the traffic...

            Have a great day!!

            Tracy

            Oats Willie <ODUBYA@...> wrote: Hey There,surfelvistx?? I'm sorry but I didn't catch your name the
            other day..That was pretty neat seeing you at 'my' clinic in Houston!!
            This is definitely a very small world we occupy for the time being..

            <surfelvistx@y...> wrote:
            > I will probably be traveling...(remainder deleted by sender to save space).
            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Tracy Lilly
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
              Dear Apaulling:

              Thanks for responding. Have you ever withdrawn from Methadone ("M")? If so, did you do it slow or fast? If I do go to South Korea in a couple of months, then I will have to do it quite fast, unless I work out the details of going to Hong Kong or Guam once a month to get my medicine and/or take the chance of not getting a visa by telling the South Korean embassy about my predicament and trying to get an okay to import the medicine in with me when I go and thereafter each month.

              Have a nice day!

              Tracy

              Apaulling <apaulling@...> wrote: hello all,

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
                Hey Tracy! As far as finding a physician goes, Claude answered that
                question right. Doctors can only prescribe for pain right now, not
                addiction. Plus my dose is a little bit high also.And I live right
                off the Gulf of Mexico about 60 miles from Mobile,Ala. We didn't stay
                there but went about 35 miles to the west and north of I-10. It
                wasn't bad there at all but we were as ready as we were gonna get. I
                hate them hurricanes! I'm so glad I'm not in Florida. I have been
                thru several right there at my home, including the killer hurricane
                Camille in 1969, and it is scary as hell! We will always evacuate if
                it is called for. Yea, I wish I could find a place closer to dose but
                for now I really like where I'm at at TTC. Although I wish the doctor
                would give bigger increases when ya need one. When you're on a high
                dose you just can't feel a 10mg. difference, ya know? I wrote him a
                great letter and included something I got from Dr. Payte about giving
                increases to people whose dose is over 150mgs. but I think it got
                lost in the mail. I will try again soon. But anyway, I will be there
                on October 21st, a Thursday, at 5 am. I always get a room at the Park
                Inn on 43rd and 290 west, when I get there on Wednesday evening about
                9pm. I'm heading to work now so catch ya'll later!! Oats

                --- In DOLOPHINEA_CAFE@yahoogroups.com, Tracy Lilly

                Service.