need info on methadone clinics in florida

  • escarpabita
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 21 5:10 AM
    • James
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 21 12:54 PM
        I live in S.Florida, oh my names Jim, and I get my meth from my primary Doctor. Now I do have a pain problem but there was a time when I needed to use a methadone clinic here in Florida and found what many of you are going through as far as problems that occur in methadone clinics.
        I found a clinic and was told to show up some time in the early morning (7-8am?)the clinic was 20 miles or so away from where I was living. I showed up and was told because I was not throwing up or sweating allot that I would not be eligible. The gal who screened me said I would have to show up when I was in a complete100% withdrawl state and only then could she send me 75 miles away to see there doctor and of course he would want $$$. and then I would have to wait for the results (1-2 days?) before he made a decision weather I would get meth and how much. If he decide I needed it then they would start me at a low dose to begin with and take it from there. I had to be there the same time every morning and wait in line for my dose in which I was to pay $10.00 a day for. If your a little late your out of luck ,no meth!

        I have been "with out" before and I know that after a few days I would not be able to function at all ,in fact I have had to have the ambulance take me to the emergency room on at least 3 occasions in the past due to withdrawls so I was not about to get to that point again if I could help it and thats why I went to the dam clinic to begin with!

        The clinic I went to had many more rules but the above is all I recall today...
        I never went back to that clinic and found that it was allot easier just to have my doctor give me my meth. I have had 5 doctors since then and they all gave me pretty much what I asked for. I do have Palm Beach county insurance and that means I pay 0 for my meds or my visit to the docs! If you want to know how to get this insurance and you live in Palm Beach county then let me know.

        Jim friendlyfarmer@...

        escarpabita <escarpabita@...> wrote:

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Stephanie Vazquez
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24 1:51 PM
          Hello Jim,

          OMG!!! That sounds like the clinic from hell!! It sounds like a
          clinic which thrives on "control" of the patient.
          How sad. I wonder what type of care they give. :(

          Good for you.....for having a primary doctor prescribe your
          medication!!!

          Many years back, I had lived in Florida for 2 years and my experience
          with one of their clinics was a nightmare.
          This was in Central Florida...Orlando. The psychiatrist, who was the
          medical director threatened to
          report me to the Board of Nursing for having a positive urine. He kept
          saying that he legally had to report me.
          I wasn't even working at the time. I told him that I was certain "IF"
          I was seeing him in his private practice and was paying him $110
          dollars for an hour of his time, that we would not be having this
          conversation now. I also threatened to sue him and the clinic for
          violation of my confidentiality if he discussed anything about me with
          the Board of Nursing or anyone. What really got me was that neither
          him, nor my counselor or the nurse.....even asked me if anything was
          going on in my life ...why did I use...etc, etc. There only comment
          was the threat. To make a long
          story short, he never did report me, but I gave myself a voluntary
          administrative detox. I was off of the clinic in
          less than a week, but I went through a month of hell!!!! Needless to
          say, I relapsed.

          Anyway...hope to see some of you in the chatroom.

          Take care,
          Stephanie

          On Jul 21, 2004, at 3:54 PM, James wrote:

          > I live in S.Florida, oh my names Jim, and I get my meth from my
          > primary Doctor. Now I do have a pain problem but there was a time when
          > I needed to use a methadone clinic here in Florida and found what many
          > of you are going through as far as problems that occur in methadone
          > clinics.
          > I found a clinic and  was told to show up some time in the early
          > morning (7-8am?)the clinic was 20 miles or so away from where I was
          > living. I showed up and was told because I was not throwing up or
          > sweating allot that I would not be eligible. The gal who screened me
          > said I would have to show up when I was in a complete100% withdrawl
          > state and only then could she send me 75 miles away to see there
          > doctor and of course he would want $$$.  and then I would have to wait
          > for the results (1-2 days?) before he made a decision weather I would
          > get meth and how much. If he decide I needed it then they would start
          > me at a low dose to begin with and take it from there. I had to be
          > there the same time every morning and wait in line for my dose in
          > which I was to pay $10.00 a day for. If your a little late your out of
          > luck ,no meth!
          >
          > I have been "with out" before and I know that after a few days I
          > would not be able to function at all ,in fact I have had to have the
          > ambulance take me to the emergency room on at least 3 occasions in the
          > past due to withdrawls so I was not about to get to that point again
          > if I could help it and thats why I went to the dam clinic to begin
          > with!
          >
          > The clinic I went to had many more rules but the above is all I
          > recall today...
          > I never went back to that clinic and found that it was allot easier
          > just to have my doctor give me my meth. I have had 5 doctors since
          > then and they all gave me pretty much what I asked for. I do have Palm
          > Beach county insurance and that means I pay 0 for my meds or my visit
          > to the docs!  If you want to know how to get this insurance and you
          > live in Palm Beach county then let me know.
          >
          > Jim friendlyfarmer@...

        • Rebecca Ittner
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26 9:04 AM
            --- Stephanie Vazquez <ssv55@...> wrote:
> [...]
            > to that point again
            > > if I could help it and thats why I went to the dam
            > clinic to begin
            > > with!
            > >
            > > The clinic I went to had many more rules but the
            > above is all I
            > > recall today...
            > > I never went back to that clinic and found that
            > it was allot easier
            > > just to have my doctor give me my meth. I have had
            > 5 doctors since
            > > then and they all gave me pretty much what I asked
            > for. I do have Palm
            > > Beach county insurance and that means I pay 0 for
            > my meds or my visit
            > > to the docs!� If you want to know how to get this
            > insurance and you
            > > live in Palm Beach county then let me know.
            > >
            > > Jim friendlyfarmer@...
            > >
            > >Hello my name is Rebecca and I'm not sure if I'm
            using this reply thing right hopefully you get this.
            anyways I'm reading this post and like before I'm
            hearing people say that they have a doctor prescribe
            them meth WOW! I had no ideal that you could do that
            you see I'm from Minnesota and maybe the laws are
            different but they can't (doc's) prescribe meds for
            addiction only for pain Unless I just heard it wrong
            I'm gonna look in to it but please let me know what
            you all not about this subject please e-mail me back
            I go to a clinic that puts you on a blind dose so you
            don't even know what your on! that is crazy to me well
            I could talk about this clinic forever but I want you
            Stephanie to e-mail me or anybody who can tell me what
            this crazy clinic won't, I've learned everything I
            know about meth and anything to do with meth on this
            site and nama site without these site and you people
            that are on them I'd be in the complete dark so THANK
            YOU Rebecca

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • James
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26 10:03 PM
              Howdy Reba ,

              Listen I dont know much about clinics other then what I have already written here but as for pain Docs go Im a veteran!

              Today many Doctors are prescribing meth over many of the other pain relievers due to cost and the fact it's not as hard on your system as many of the others. If you have a back thats been acting up a little then go shopping for a good ol pain doc.

              I have found that though I have medical records that prove my claim of a bad back , many doctors never want to see them or even ask if you have them.

              I think if I had to go to a clinic again I would shoot myself ...up that is! *kidding*

              Jim friendlyfarmer@...

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 27 9:48 AM
                Hello Rebecca,

                You are right. A private physician can prescribe methadone
                for pain issues and not for opiate addiction. (However, for your
                own info:
                A physician may administer opioids to a patient for the purpose of
                relieving acute withdrawal symptoms
                while arrangements are made to refer your patient for addiction
                treatment, under the following
                conditions [21 CFR 1306.07(b)]:
                � Not more than one day�s medication may be administered or given to
                your patient at one time,
                � This treatment may not be carried out for more than three days, and
                � This three-day period cannot be renewed or extended.)
                ================================
                Unfortunately, not many physicians do this, in fact, I would bet that
                many of
                them do not even know it.

                Well, getting back to what you were asking...Jim is the one who gets
                his methadone
                prescribed by a doctor. He had said he has pain issues.

                Then we have Medical Maintenance...this is where a physician has
                special permission
                to have a medical maintenance practice. The patient comes to the
                doctors office
                every month and either gets a months supply or a prescription for it.
                For example, Dr. Salsitz's Medical Maintenance was one of the first. He
                is still
                located in New York. There are a few others in New York.
                I do not know how many other Medical Maintenance places are across the
                US, but
                there are others.
                It might be something to look into.

                Take care,
                Stephanie Vazquez
                NY NAMA
                ssv55@...
                http://www.methadone.org
                Together We Can Make a Difference

                On Jul 26, 2004, at 12:04 PM, Rebecca Ittner wrote:

                >>> Hello my name is Rebecca and I'm not sure if I'm
                > using this reply thing right hopefully you get this.
                > anyways I'm reading this post and like before I'm
                > hearing people say that they have a doctor prescribe
                > them meth WOW! I had no ideal that you could do that
                > you see I'm from Minnesota and maybe the laws are
                > different but they can't (doc's) prescribe meds for
                > addiction only for pain Unless I just heard it wrong
                > I'm gonna look in to it but please let me know what
                > you all not about this subject please e-mail me back
                > I go to a clinic that puts you on a blind dose so you
                > don't even know what your on! that is crazy to me well
                > I could talk about this clinic forever but I want you
                > Stephanie to e-mail me or anybody who can tell me what
                > this crazy clinic won't, I've learned everything I
                > know about meth and anything to do with meth on this
                > site and nama site without these site and you people
                > that are on them I'd be in the complete dark so THANK
                > YOU Rebecca

              • James
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 27 8:49 PM
                  Hello Steph and Reba ,

                  Regarding doctors being able to give out 3 days worth of meth for acute withdrawls , only once was I taken care of for 3 days due to withdrawls. I have had to go to the EM a few times for withdrawls and only one doctor took me in for 3 days giving me my regular dose the rest through my ass out after giving me a couple of 5mg oxycodones to fix the problem!

                  I never knew of this law mainly because doctors choose to ignore it most of the time. My withdrawls are severe! It feels as if I'm going to die after 3 days of going with out. My temperature boils past 102 and the whole while I go in and out of being cold one moment and hot the next. I cant get out of bed because I have no energy and when I move even slightly my conditions escalates. I would not wish this on my worse enemy but these un-caring greedy assholes who see folks like myself come do not look at us as people needing help. Some of them are the same ones who kick-started my addiction with oxycontins a few years back. My first real pain doc once prescribed me 4 x 160mg oxycontin per day . This same guy tells me the day I'm to come in and get my prescription that he cant write me another script because my primary doc has me on xanax , which I was taking years before I even knew this quack existed! This is how I was introduced to withdrawls .

                  That was then and this is today. Today I'm on methadone and I feel it may have saved my life. I feel no high as I did with the oxy's and though it may not be as good of a pain reliever as oxycontin the benefits far out way the side effects.

                  Boy I better stop now or I may be accused of writing a small book here.

                  JI'm friendlyfarmer@...