2307Methadone Clnics

  • Nancy
    Apr 28, 2013
      Hi Dan,

      As a follow up to my original post, and in response to your reply:

      I have been through so much since my post (below) that I don't remember if I responded to your reply or not.

      Fortunately, at that time, I was able to continue going to the clinic.
      But now, I find myself in this position again. I am faced with not being able to pay for my medication,
      I am writing out of stress, what is your advice? I have been applying for jobs in my field, which is medical billing and collections, and
      also for employment NOT in my field. I don't understand why I can't get a job. I guess I am just reaching out.

      First: Are there any publicly owned clinics (state, county, or non-profit
      foundation owned) in your area that you could transfer to? Often programs
      that accept Medicaid will have other means by which they can subsidize
      treatment for those who are unable to pay.

      If you have prescription insurance, or had it as part of your benefits on
      the job you lost, you can usually get your doses covered by your plan. The
      central Pharmacy personnel at Colonial Management, I believe they are in
      Orlando -but your clinic will know, knows very well the information you need
      to submit to your plan in order to get your claim approved. If you had this,
      and weren't using it, you can submit claims for services rendered for 1 to
      as many as 5 years ago.

      It is important to note that you are subnmitting claims for medication,
      clinics do not charge fees for counseling and other parts of their support
      services that are not rendered by Doctors or licensed psychologists,. Clinic
      physician appointments, that you pay separately for may be billed to your
      medical coverage - but when you pay the $14, you are paying for your dose
      and as such it should be covered by your prescrtiption coverage. I once got
      $4800 od charges covered in one fell swoop for 18 months of dosing.

      There is a State Methadone Authority that oversees programs in Florida, it
      is usually under the department of health or health, (the clinic should give
      you the number) they may have advice for you, and may even require the
      program to detox you before discharging you for non-payment.

      I am fairly certain that the American Association for Treatment of Opiate
      Dependence's (AATOD's) Canon of Ethics states that their members should:
      Ensure that discharge from treatment is conducted in accordance with sound
      and medically acceptable practice. The patient will be assured of due
      process if the discharge is administrative in nature. Colonial is very
      likely still a member of that group and may be moved by reminding them of
      this expectation. Further, I would consider filing a complaint with the
      Florida Board of Medicine against the physician involved, virtually no
      hospital or treatment program would attempt a sudden withdrawal from
      methadone, because of the severe symptoms and long duration - I can almost
      assure you the medical board would not appreciate risking the patient over
      the cost of a couple of dollars of methadone.

      There is another side to this coin. Obviously you were in great distress and
      spending far more than $14 per day when you approached your program and
      requested treatment. Methadone Maintenance Treatment is not a temporary fix,
      nor is it a short-term proposition. Considered by many, including our
      federal government, of being the "Gold Standard" of treatment for opiate
      dependence; MMT works best when the patient remains in MMT for 5+ years,
      some have remained much longer - but statistical studies show that patient
      have the best chance of living drug-free after about 5 years or more of
      compliant participation in MMT.

      Addiction is a terminal illness, it does not disappear when one clears up
      their legal problems, gets a job, or gets married. Leaving treatment over a
      fee of $14 dollars a day, when statistics indicate one is at peril of
      relapse to active using would be asinine. Imagine if one were diagnosed with
      cancer, would they consider that treatment an expense they couldn't afford?
      Somehow, I don't think so.

      My point is this. Have a look at what else you are spending, for cigarettes,
      eating out, car payments, whatever!! If I were to relapse, $14 would seem
      like nothing compared to what I would spend on using. Very simply, if it
      means flipping burgers, I am paying for treatment.

      I fully agree no one should be feetoxed, (detoxed for non-payment) but if
      they are no non-profit programs where you live, you might want to consider
      relocating for a while. Forcing them to detox you slowly will still only get
      you a few days of treatment, and unless you are at the appropriate place in
      treatment, leaving treatment would be ill-advised.

      Think this over, let me know where you are with this in a day or two, and
      whether or not these resources worked out for you, if not I may have another
      thought or two about what else you might try, at any rate, for the time
      being, don't mess things up until you have tried some of these. Best wishes,

      Dann White

      Certified Methadone Advocate (RETIRED)

      uyv-----Original Message-----