Operation Santa Paws needs help; new AKC breeds; upcoming adoption days; dog's new book; more

  • Justin Rudd!
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2009

      Operation Santa Paws needs help; new AKC breeds; upcoming adoption days; dog's new book; more

      NOTE: No newsletters from Dec. 10 - 31.  They will resume on the first Thurs. in Jan., 2010.  Happy holidays.

      Justin Rudd's
      So Cal DOG e-News
      compiled weekly by Justin Rudd! for his 12,800+ subscribers
      Thurs., Dec. 3, 2009
      presented this week by
      Wags to Whiskers Pet Grooming, in Long Beach

      STARTED: Will you help me collect toys, treats and supplies
      for animal shelters this season?  Click http://SantaPaws.info to see how you can be a part of this annual project.  -Justin!  PS. Will you post this info on your FACEBOOK page?  Checks and gift cards welcome.  And, Paypal.com donations accepted to Justin@... address.

      Logo.gifRaising K9 IS THE MOST UNIQUE DOG TRAINING AND SERVICE COMPANY OF ITS KIND.
      We are highly experienced, skilled Certified Canine Behaviorists specializing in creating programs that are specifically designed to fit you and your dog's personal needs and schedule. Servicing L.A. & Orange Counties, we offer Puppy Classes, Obedience, Therapy Dog, Behavior Modification, Agility and Rally Obedience Training PLUS Doggie Day Kamp, KENNEL FREE Overnight Boarding Kamp and Dog-E-Vents! Our annual SPECIAL HOLIDAY RATES are in effect! SPACE IS LIMITED! Please reserve your "spot" today! Visit us at: www.raisingk9.org. Or "speak" to us at: 1.877.657.DOGS (3647).

      Ginji4Justin.gifEncaustic Pet Portraits!

      Turn your pet photos into unique works of art! I create custom archival portraits that are a combination of photography and pigmented bees wax. Pets provide unconditional love, and being a pet owner myself, I enjoy giving back that love. Provide me with an image you already have, or for just $99, we can shoot new ones. To order artwork only, choose from portraits starting at only $40! Discounts given when ordering more than one. Great gifts, so place your order before the holidays! For more info, contact: nicole@..., or call (310) 344-4887. Thanks! Portfolio

      efforts to establish a dog park on the Palos Verdes Peninsula.
      Melissa Pamer's story today in the Daily Breeze about Bruce and Maureen Megowan's efforts - Donna Littlejohn

      HAUTE DOG OF THE WEEK
      CLICK HERE to see Rosie & Riley's weekly "Pick of the Litter."  The Haute Dog of the Week is presented by LaunderPet where new grooming customers save $5 off their first visit ($25 minimum) with this ad!

      santapawlogoRGB03.gifJoin Justin!
      Please host a drop-box this year for your favorite shelter in the U.S.
      OPERATION SANTA PAWS
      Shelters and rescue groups all over the country need help for abused and abandoned pets this season.  Download & Print a Collection Box Poster for Operation Santa Paws.
      1. "donate here" logo for your collection box
      2. "wish list" to be used on your collection box and as a handout

      pageant photos
      from Justin Rudd's NEW Little/Teen/Miss/Mrs. Long Beach & Southern California pageants held recently in Long Beach.

      NEW AKC BREEDS
      The American Kennel Club has announced that three new dog breeds -- the bluetick coonhound, the Boykin spaniel and the redbone coonhound -- will be eligible for AKC conformation competition beginning Dec. 30.

      AKC/EUKANUBA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN LONG BEACH
      Dec. 12 & 13, tickets on sale now

      --------

       J U S T I N R U D D . C O M
      Explore.  Dream.  Discover.

      --------

      cid:image008.jpg@...7A42F0 Belmont Shore Grand Opening
      P & P, an innovative and unique pet lifestyle destination geared toward modern pets and their owners, is now open in Belmont Shore. A neighborhood urban oasis, P&P offers a colorful and interactive social setting featuring distinctive, yet moderately priced high quality products and everyday essentials with a focus on healthy nutrition and green living for pets. P&P is home to the one-of-a-kind Pawbar(r) and offers Grooming and Spa Services. Join us for our Grand Opening with a week of festivities starting Oct. 31st.  Located at 4818 E 2nd St., (562) 434-7700

      But what city is the least dog-friendly?
      We know Huntington Beach has a reputation for being the most dog-friendly city in Southern California.  Vying for that dubious title, at least if you ask some residents, is Redondo Beach. All of Redondo's 20-plus parks (with the exception of its excellent off-leash dog park) have a strict no-dogs-allowed policy, but a group of dog-loving residents is working to change that.  -L.A. Times

      Train for Triathlon and get a Free entry to race.
      Train with Uldis for your next Triathlon and get a free entry to Ironman 70.3 or any Olympic distance triathlon. For more details on what is included in the training plan please visit http://uldisliepins.com/training.html

      Alpha Pet CareALPHA VOTED BEST PET SITTER, DOG TRAINER & DOG WALKER BY 2009 BEACHCOMBER READER'S CHOICE AWARDS!
      Alpha Pet Care is proud to be Long Beach and Orange County's favorite choice for pet sitting, dog training, overnight care, dog walking & daycare for over 10 years! Whether you're working long days, getting away for the weekend or need help with a behavioral issue we'll keep things ordinary with our extraordinary care. For more info or to arrange care for your pets visit www.alphapetcare.com or call our 'haute-line': 866.SiT.FiDO (866.748.3436).

      JUSTIN'S WEEKLY HAUTE LINKS
      - Justin Rudd's Dog Photography on the beach | $100 Special
      - Long Beach Dog Beach -- Long Beach (open daily, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
      - Adoptable SoCal Dogs
      - Recreation Dog Park - Long Beach
      - Recycled Pet Rescue
      - Rescue Me Incorporated
      - Rescue Train

      SHOUT IT OUT HERE
      Got an opinion or question?  Just want to share a story?  We're all ears.  Send us your success story or canine tips, or let us know what you like best or least and offer your suggestions.  Keep it under 100 words and email to Justin@... for consideration in our upcoming DOG e-

      Long Beach Dog Beach
      The 3-acre off-leash area at the Pacific Ocean is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.  Limit one dog per adult.  Dogs must be collared, at least four months old, vaccinated, and registered with the animal care/control that services their hometown.  Convenient and plentiful beachfront metered parking lot available (25 cents/15 minutes).  The off-leash zone is at the beach in Belmont Shore between Argonne and Roycroft avenues and is outlined with orange traffic cones.  Compete rules, sample video and other details at www.DogZone.org

      rescue dog Bo just had a book published.
       It's called BAD TO THE BONE: Memoir Of A Rebel Doggie Blogger, and is the first book written by a dog ever to be published in non-fiction, not bad for a writer in a fur suit.

      If you shop at Ralph's, please CLICK HERE
      to link your Rewards card to Haute Dogs/Operation Santa Paws, and a portion of what you spend will benefit the animals.

      DOGS GIVE AWAY BOOKS DURING PARADE THIS FRI.

      BARK dogs will be giving away 750 books to children along the parade route.  BARK has 42 therapy dog teams who listen to children read in 25 L.A. and OC elementary schools and libraries to help increase reading skills and self-confidence.  Seal Beach Holiday Parade, Friday, Dec. 4, 7 p.m.

      DOG BREED RESTRICTION
      Hi, I was wondering what the law is for dog breed restrictions in apartments. Is it legal in Long Beach for landlords to restrict different breeds in an apartment? I've heard of restrictions on weight, but if that's the case, I have a neighbor in an apartment owned by the same landlord who has a dog twice the size of mine. I just wanted to find out before getting into any discussion with the landlord.  -C

      Would you all like to host an Operation Santa Paws collection box
      somewhere, and then bring the collected goodies to help give out at a shelter on Dec. 19?  Details at www.SantaPaws.info

      BRING YOUR DOG WITH YOU
      30-Minute Beach Cleanup on Sat., Dec. 19 at 10 a.m. www.BeachCleanup.org

      If you have room at home for another pet, consider stopping by your local shelter
       or checking Web sites like Petfinder.com and PetHarbor.com. The animals sheltered by local facilities come with some definite pluses: They are in good health, have been vaccinated and evaluated for behavioral issues, have been neutered and often are microchipped.  - SAMANTHA GOWEN

      A few words of caution, however, for anyone who brings a new pet home over the holiday:

      Be prepared to spend a lot of time helping the new pet acclimate to his/her new home.

      Do not socialize a new pet too soon. Establish a rhythm at home and learn more about the dog before you introduce it to a social setting like a dog park. Remember, everything's new and quite shocking to the animal.

      For new dog owners: Get to training right away. The sooner the dog and the owner understands how to set boundaries and commands, the better off everyone will be. Behavior issues are the No. 1 reason most animals are returned or abandoned to animal shelters. - SAMANTHA GOWEN

      Here are some upcoming adoption events happening soon in Orange County:
      ..

      Date

      Group

      Place

      Time

      Dec. 5

      Coastal German Shepherd Rescue

      Petsmart, Aliso Viejo

      11 am to 3 p.m.

      Dec. 6

      Greyhound rescue 949 888 5389

      Corona Del Mar Animal Hospital, 2948 E Coast Highway, CDM

      11 am to 4 p.m.

      Irvine Animal Care 949 724 7745

      6443 Oak Canyon Drive, Irvine

      10 am to 3 p.m.

      Pet Rescue Center 877 277 7938

      25800 Jeronimo Rd, MV

      12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

      Coastal German Shepherd Rescue

      Irvine Animal Shelter

      10 am to 3 p.m.

      Dec. 12

      Coastal German Shepherd Rescue

      Petsmart, Aliso Viejo

      11 am to 3 p.m.

      Dec. 13

      Greyhound Rescue 949 888 5389

      Irvine Spectrum, in front of Macys

      12 p.m. to 4 p.m.

      Dec. 19

      Coastal German Shepherd Rescue

      Petsmart, Aliso Viejo

      11 am to 3 p.m.

      .

      Thanks for running/walking the long beach turkey trot with us!  5,200+ entrants.

      Did you win the airline tix?  Visit the Web site now.

      Check www.TurkeyTrot.us to see:
      - if you won the JetBlue tix,
      - the new video,
      - the photo galleries,
      - the list of winners & their finish times,
      - how to get your personalized bib (if you ordered in time)
      - how to get a t-shirt (if you did not get one).

      There are no age categories or online posting of race times for the Long Beach Turkey Trot.

      Join our Long Beach Turkey Trot group on Facebook: www.facebook.com/inbox/?ref=mb#/group.php?gid=184505796861&ref=ts  & upload/share your photos there.

      Operation Santa Paws

      on YouTube

      OPERATION SANTA PAWS - COLLECTING DEC. 1- 18
      Shelters and rescue groups all over the country need help for abused and abandoned pets this season.
      Host a collection box in your town, or visit one of these locations to leave items in one of their drop boxes: www.SantaPaws.info

      SoCal: BRING YOUR COLLECTED ITEMS & JOIN US.
      - Operation Santa Paws, Sat., Dec. 19, various shelters in Long Beach, Seal Beach and Orange, Calif., times to be announced at www.SantaPaws.info

      MEN NEEDED to carry the 8' Miss Long Beach banner
      on Sat. for the 7 p.m. parade? I'm looking for two nice-looking men in suits (looking like secret service). The banner would be in front of the first of our four convertibles carrying the 8 titleholders. Contact Justin@...

      Become a Fan on FACEBOOK:

      Operation Santa Paws on Facebook

      As part of each titleholders' prize package, Justin Rudd is doing photo shoots of each winner on the beach in Belmont Shore.  Here are some images from Elisa's shoot last week:

      www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=41332&id=1133895586&l=b0c2f1676c

      to book a photo shoot with Justin, see http://justinrudd.com/photography.html