Exotic animals & your pets get blessed Sat. (all faiths/beliefs); adoption fair Sat. in LB; Rosie turns 12; more

  • Justin Rudd!
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009

      Bring your pets THIS Sat., Oct. 3 at Marine Stadium in Long Beach.  Presented by Haute Dogs.
      cid:image001.gif@01CA42A3.9646B840

      - NEW Ugly dog & Cute dog contests @ 11 a.m.; - Interfaith Blessing of the Animals @ noon; - Chihuahua Beauty Contest @ 1 p.m.

      Justin Rudd's
      So Cal DOG e-News
      compiled weekly by Justin Rudd! for his 12,600+ subscribers
      Thurs., Oct. 1, 2009
      presented this week by
      Wags to Whiskers Pet Grooming, in Long Beach

      HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSIE
      She turns 12 on Wed., Oct. 7.  According to the Bulldog Club of America, the average Bulldog life span is for 8-12 years.  Although Rosie's back legs are weak, she is full of love and spirit!  You can become her fan on Facebook.  She'll be getting blessed at noon on Sat. See you there.

      HAUTE DOG OF THE WEEK
      CLICK HERE to see Rosie & Riley's weekly "Pick of the Litter."

      THE COMPUTERMEISTER CAN HELP!
      Hardware problems?  Software trouble?  Computer viruses?  Is Microsoft Office driving you crazy?  One phone call is all your computer needs! I have years of experience with setting up, maintaining and troubleshooting Windows and Mac computers, networks and software. My hourly rates are reasonable and I come to your house or office in L.A. and Orange counties without any travel charges. Night and weekend appointments available.  Call Kai at (213) 254-7480 or e-mail to  kai@...   Web site:  www.thecomputermeister.com

      DOG ADOPTION, BOARDING, DAY CARE, training & MORE!
      Just 20 minutes north of LB - Beagles & Buddies, 2661 N. Strozier Ave., El Monte, 91733. Lotsa great dogs.  Bring yours to "meet and greet" Open House Wed, Thurs, Sat. & Sun. 10a-4p.  www.beaglesandbuddies.org  Ph 626/444-9664

      Dustin-Front-Close-Sm.gifClassic California Bungalow, Los Angeles, 90065, $490,000
      Picture a romantic bungalow secluded on a knoll by a canopy of lush foliage. Interior spaces are warmed by wood floors, a barrel vault ceiling, serene treetop views & wonderful natural light. New linoleum flooring & countertops brighten the spacious kitchen. A garden of color & native flora. Evenings are relaxed on a pergola covered patio. Fenced yard, perfect to keep a dog in this lovely yard.  Curl up in a comfortable chair on the front porch & gaze at life's medley.  Contact Coldwell Banker Office to schedule appointment.  626 844-2229

      California Senate Bill 250 is before the full Assembly for a vote this week.
      I had not followed the history of this bill, but apparently it is a hotly debated item in the Senate with passionate supporters on either side. The bill states, in part, View article...

      K-9 Corner: When gone to the dogs is a good thing
      Long Beach also has Recreation Park Dog Park at 5201 E. Seventh St., a dog beach in Belmont Shore and the newly unveiled downtown dog zone in Lincoln ...

      Pilots rescue unwanted pets in weeklong flying marathon

      ANIMAL LOVERS CALENDAR FORM L.A. TIMES:

      ****Saturday, Oct. 3, celebrate the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi at the 8th annual Interfaith Blessing of the Animals at Long Beach's Marine Stadium, 5225 E. Paoli Way.  The event starts at 10 a.m. with a pet adoption fair and pet-friendly vendors.  The blessing ceremony begins at noon and will include a moment of silence for dogs involved in dogfighting rings and other abused animals.  All well-behaved pets, including exotic species that are legal to possess in the state of California, are welcome to attend the free ceremony.  The event is sponsored by the Long Beach organization Haute Dogs and also includes Cutest Dog and Ugliest Dog contests and a Chihuahua beauty pageant. (Contests are $10 to enter with advance registration and $20 to enter on the day of the event.)  Adoptions and vendor fair continue until 2:30 p.m.  More information and directions at BlessThePets.com.

      Saturday, Oct. 3, pet expert Warren Eckstein broadcasts his radio program "The Pet Show" from L.A.'s own Hollywood & Highland shopping center.  From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Eckstein will be on hand at the CatGenie pop-up store on the ground floor of Hollywood & Highland.  Store visitors can listen to Eckstein broadcast live, submit their pet-related questions to be answered on-air and meet adoptable cats and kittens from local rescue group Precious Paws. (One prominent Precious Paws supporter will be in attendance: Susan Olsen, whom you may know as Cindy from "The Brady Bunch.")  Of course, you can also bring home your very own CatGenie automatic, litter-free cat box -- and a percentage of the purchase price will be donated to Precious Paws.

      Saturday, Oct. 3, Best Friends Animal Society celebrates its 25th anniversary at its annual Lint Roller Party, with proceeds from the event benefiting Best Friends' L.A.-based programs.  The party is 1980s-themed in honor of the group's 1984 launch year and features music, awards, a veggie buffet and open bar, raffles and both silent and live auctions. General admission is $275 and includes a free CD featuring songs from animal-friendly musicians including the divine Neko Case and Emmylou Harris; a Founder's Reception ticket, which includes admission to a pre-party reception in addition to the main event, will set you back $350.  More information and tickets available at Best Friends' Web site.

      Orders are still be taken for copies of the '2009 Ador-A-Bulldog' calendar
      to benefit bulldog rescue.  The calendar is $20, (Inc. S/H) and 100% of the proceeds will go to benefit bulldogs in rescue. The all color wall calendar is 12" x 12", includes 13 months and suitable for gift giving.  www.WeLoveBulldogs.Com

      Blessing of the Animals + beauty contests=good fun
      All dogs go to heaven, right? So why not have them blessed now? In honor of St. Francis Day and the human/animal bond, the Haute Dogs organization, its founder Justin Rudd and Long Beach Councilmember Gary DeLong will host the Interfaith Blessing. Read more

      OC Register put some outstanding photos online
      They got some great pictures of Rosie & Riley, and the red carpet was a hit!  Enjoy the photos, and thanks again Justin.  Looks like we grossed about $10,700 so far. About 45% less than last year. - Liz

      Justin, Do you know any new info in regards to parking at the new dog park downtown?
      The parking structure next door I know opens its gates at certain times but I dont know when. I dont want to go down there and end up having to pay allot for parking. Also their are no dog fountains, only a tub that no one fills and is disgusting. Are they going to build fountains? - Samantha

      Mr. Rudd:How do you cure the rash that the dog gets from their drool,
      underneath Bambies neck when she drinks water, she wets all her neck that now it looks like a rash, that she hair there is spotted with redness.  -Aida Rodriguez

      gunny1_0909_350.gifPhotos: New "K9 Corner" dog park in Long Beach
      The city's 4th off-leash dog park opened today, Sept. 27, 2009.
       ***VIDEO***

      photos: Seal Beach's Wag N Walk
      Justin, Rosie and Riley were grand marshals

      NEW Downtown Dog Park.
      The Civic Center Parking Structure located off of Broadway is open every day of the week.  The structure is staffed from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., M-F.  This means you would have to pay upon exit during those times.  The structure is staffed on Saturdays from 10:30a.m. - 6 p.m.  On Sundays, the structure is not staffed at all, meaning it is free all day.  You would still need to pull a ticket upon arrival, though the exit arm is up upon leaving.
      With regards to the water fountains, they are in the process of being ordered by Development Services.  With the budget issues going on, these were put on hold for a bit.  As we get into FY10 (beginning Oct. 1), the monies should become available.  The fountains take about 4-6 weeks for delivery after they are ordered.  The other problem we are facing with this location is tapping into a water source that does not threaten the structure of the garage underneath.  Along with this is creating a viable drain source, that again does not threaten the garage underneath.  Until this issue is resolved I would ask you to help spread the word that owners need to bring a water bottle for their doggies.  Our hope is to have this issue addressed as soon as possible.  - Heather Blackmun, Administrative Assistant, Office of Councilmember Suja Lowenthal, Second District, City of Long Beach

      gunny1_0909_350.gif GUNNY IS A GOOFBALL!

      Gunny is a 1 year old clown in search of a family of his own.  He is a big, lanky, klutzy boy who loves kids and adults alike.  Gunny will thrive with a guardian who can show gentle leadership and provide basic obedience training.  He truly wants to learn, but he's still in 'that awkward teenage stage'.  To meet Gunny and more than 60 other orphaned shepherds for adoption, visit www.gsroc.org or call 714-773-5915 for more details.

      Mentor Training Program for your Fitness goals
      Looking to get in shape or get to the finish line of a sprint triathlon, an Ironman® , marathon or half-marathon. Then you should team up with Uldis, USA Triathlon All American 2007, 2008 and join his "Mentor Training Program", which is intended to help reach your fitness goals. For more information call 562 537 4077 or email at uldis_fitline@...www.uldisliepins.com

      Justin: Am crying as I write to you.  Don't even know if you are the person who can help.
      If not you, maybe you know of someone.  I have 2 English Bulldogges, Chugger, 5 years & Peetie, 10 years, both males.  Peetie is a brindel & has all the energy of a puppy.  We have had him since he was 4 weeks old.  He was abused by a neighbor when very young.  As a result, he has about 5 documented biting charges, for which he had to be quarantined and we were ordered to have a Dangerous Dog sign in our window.  Have been to court, etc.  Since then, we have sent him to boot camp 5 times for 6 weeks at a time, have had personal trainers, etc., years ago, to no avail.  He is extremely aggressive, snarling, growling & biting at everything.  In the past year, if I want him to move off the couch, porch, etc., he will start snarling & jump up and bite at me.  I can't take him out if there is anyone around or any other pets. We do not have the resources that we did before should there be another "incident".  He is completely devoid of other human and animal contact besides myself, husband & his bulledogge brother.  His brother, not the same litter, was born without hip sockets, has seizures, has had operations, etc., and we couldn't love him more also.  He is just the opposite, very low key & just rolls with all his ailments.  We recently had to move to a 1 bdrom, 777 sq ft apartment home on the third floor for financial reasons.  My questions are these:  Are there any groups or persons who adopt aggressive dogs like Peetie?  Would I be able to visit him?  He is so full of life and energy, I feel like I'm not being fair to him. Maybe he would be better off with someone who has a yard for him to play in, since he can't be around others, and could handle an extremely aggressive bulledogge. He is a very happy boy, except with others. I love him so much, but am afraid he will hurt someone else.  I feel like a monster and horrible person just asking about this.  It's taken me months just to decide to write this.  Still don't really know if I could part with him if I could never see him again.  -S.

      Two French Mastiffs Who Desperately Need Foster Home in Southern California
      Justin, please help. These two, a male 4 yrs. and female 3 1/2 yrs., were dumped at a high-kill shelter and will be PTS soon if a foster home isn't found sooner. Please put out the word and contact Kris, the national rescue director of Dogue De Bordeaux Society of America Rescue Inc., at www.ddbsarescue.org for details. You are a such great animal rescue supporter and you organize all kinds of animal rescue events that I thought you might have a few contacts or know some folks who could save the lives of these two beautiful French Mastiffs.

      Bulldog with arthitis . I had a bulldog with extreme arthritis and acupuncture helped him a lot.  I had the vet/acupuncturist come to our home every other week for a 30 minute session and Spencer was able to move so much better.  I live in Virginia so I can't help with a doctor.

      Giving back - volunteering with animals
      Do you love animals, but can't adopt any more dogs and cats? I love my rescue pets - my cat Eddie, and my dog Angel - but in an apartment, it's just not fair to them to add more pets to the family. I'm fortunate to be able to bring my dog to work wit...

      tell friends: $100 spay/neuter vouchers
      justin rudd's "HAUTE DOGS" DONATES $16,000 FOR SPAY/NEUTER PROGRAM
      Long Beach Animal Care Services now has $16,000 worth of spay/neuter vouchers for local residents.  This program will provide one $100 canine spay and neuter vouchers to the first (200) Long Beach residents who get their dogs fixed at any of approx. 10 participating Long Beach-area veterinary clinics.  Funds for the program were raised at the annual Bulldog Beauty Contest and Haute Dog Howl'oween Parade.  www.longbeach.gov/acs

      Alpha Pet CareALPHA VOTED BEST PET SITTER, DOG TRAINER & DOG WALKER BY 2009 BEACHCOMBER READER'S CHOICE AWARDS!
      Alpha Pet Care is proud to be Long Beach and Orange County's favorite choice for pet sitting, dog training, overnight care, dog walking & daycare for over 10 years! Whether you're working long days, getting away for the weekend or need help with a behavioral issue we'll keep things ordinary with our extraordinary care. For more info or to arrange care for your pets visit www.alphapetcare.com  or call our 'haute-line': 866.SiT.FiDO (866.748.3436).

      JUSTIN'S WEEKLY HAUTE LINKS
      - Justin Rudd's Dog Photography on the beach | $100 Special
      - Long Beach Dog Beach -- Long Beach (open daily, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
      - Adoptable SoCal Dogs
      - Neapolitan Mastiff Rescue/Canine Rescue Coalition
      - New Beginnings for Animals
      - New Leash on Life
      - Noah's Bark Pet Rescue
      - North Central Animal Care Center

      Please adopt this Sat.
      A few of the rescue groups with adoptable dogs this Sat. at the Blessing of the Animals/Contests
      at Marine Stadium in Long Beach.  Event details at www.BlessThePets.com
      - Pup Squad Rescue
      - Little Bow Wow Rescue

      - Mutts N Stuff Small Dog Rescue

      1.      - Pardon Me: Dog and Cat Adoption and Dog and Cat Rescue --- Anaheim Hills ...

      dog beach lb logo.gif
      Happy 8th Birthday to the Dog Beach in Long Beach.

      SHOUT IT OUT HERE
      Got an opinion or question?  Just want to share a story?  We're all ears.  Send us your success story or canine tips, or let us know what you like best or least and offer your suggestions.  Keep it under 100 words and email to Justin@... for consideration in our upcoming DOG e-

      this Saturday:
      2009 Interfaith Blessing of the Animals in Long Beach
      Presented by Haute Dogs.  www.BlessThePets.com

      contest this Sat.

      Register YOUR CHIHUAHUA now and save:
      cid:image009.gif@01CA42A3.9646B840
      ENTRY FORMS
      - Chihuahua Beauty Contest
      - Cute Dog Contest (all breeds/mixes)
      - Ugly Dog Contest (all breeds/mixes)
      Save $10/entry if you slide payment/entry form under the door at the address on the entry form by this Friday night.  Just $10/dog/per contest.

      This Sat.  Free blessings.
      Bring Your Pets to the Interfaith Blessing of the Animals; Contests, too!
      BRING YOUR PETS and all the family. Fun contests before and after the Blessing ceremony. Exotic pets on display at noon include a wildcat, monkey, ground hog, owl, monitor lizard, 7' python and more! The event is Sat., Oct. 3, 2009, Marine Stadium, Long Beach | MAP | DETAILS
      - Pet Adoptions & Vendor Fair, 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
      - NEW Ugly dog & Cute dog contests, 11 a.m. (all breeds/mixes)
      - Interfaith Blessing of the Animals, noon
      - Chihuahua Beauty Contest, 1 p.m.

      EXOTIC PETS COMING SAT. TO LONG BEACH
      Blessing of the Animals | Long Beach, CABRING YOUR PETS and all the family. Fun contests before and after the Blessing ceremony. Exotic pets on display at noon include a 50-lb. wildcat, monkey, ground hog, owl, monitor lizard, 7' python and more! The event is Sat., Oct. 3, 2009, Marine Stadium, Long Beach | MAP | DETAILS
      Blessing of the Animals | Long Beach, CA- Pet Adoptions & Vendor Fair, 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
      - Ugly dog & Cute dog contests, 11 a.m.
      - Interfaith Blessing of the Animals, noon
      - Chihuahua Beauty Contest, 1 p.m.

      IN THE NEWS:
      Interfaith Blessing of the Animals will host pet fair and contests ...
      The Interfaith Blessing of the Animals presented by Haute Dogs, Justin Rudd and Councilman Gary DeLong is free to the public and their pets. Seniors, families, singles, and children, are encouraged to bring their dogs, cats, birds, ...

      Long Beach Dog Beach
      The 3-acre off-leash area at the Pacific Ocean is open year-round from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.  Limit one dog per adult.  Dogs must be collared, at least four months old, vaccinated, and registered with the animal care/control that services their hometown.  Convenient and plentiful beachfront metered parking lot available (25 cents/15 minutes).  The off-leash zone is at the beach in Belmont Shore between Argonne and Roycroft avenues and is outlined with orange traffic cones.  Compete rules, sample video and other details at www.DogZone.org

      swimsuits.pngJustin Rudd's
      MISS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA PAGEANT & Miss Long Beach Pageant
      Orientation this Sunday, Oct. 4, 6 p.m. at The Grand.  The pageants are all held Sun., Nov. 15, 2009 in Long Beach.  Little Miss, Teen, Miss and Mrs. divisions.

      This Sat. in Long Beach.
      Interfaith Blessing of the Animals
      THIS IS THE SECOND LARGEST PET BLESSING IN THE U.S. HELD IN CONJUCTION WITH ST. FRANCIS DAY.

      GOOD READS
      Don't let your dog over heat during this heat

      Myths and facts of spaying/neutering

      Pets 101: Pet of the Week

      Guaranteed On-Board program means you can fly with your pet

      The Humane Society of the United States on over-the-counter flea medications

      more upcoming events:
      Oct 1: Adopt a Dog Month begins - Nationwide

      Oct 3: Bark at the Park - Lancaster City Park

      http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=ed00855ead622f4b761c1f998457d62f&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FLp705SafHMg%2F2.jpg&w=130&h=130Bulldog, Lessons in Sleeping and Relaxation (Turtorial incl. movies and pictures)

      Advice on Sleeping and Relaxation by the English Bulldog. Follow these tips and advice and you are guaranteed to Sleep like a Baby/Bulldog and master the skills of ultimate relaxation.

      ANYONE GOT A HORSE, PONY or OTHER UNUSUAL PET
      to bring to Haute Dogs' Oct. 3 Interfaith Blessing of the Animals?  Contact Justin@...

      ADVERTISE ON THIS E-NEWSLETTER
      Let area dog lovers know about you, your services and your business!  More than 12,600 SoCal dog-loving subscribers.  Starting now at only $25 cash for 100-word paragraph.  Contact Justin@...  for full rates/details.

      Haute DogsAdoptions Bulldog ContestDog BeachEaster Parade | Howl'oween Parade | History | LB Dog LawsOff-leash AreasDog of the WeekRosie!DOG e-NewsDog Poetry

      Subscribe to DOG e-News | Unsubscribe | Archives