doggie events; opera this Sun.; oldest dog; Dog Whisperer auditions; new spay/neuter law

  • Justin Rudd!
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2009

      Justin Rudd's
      So Cal DOG e-News
      compiled weekly by Justin Rudd! for his 12,300+ subscribers
      Thurs., May 7, 2009
      presented this week by
      Wags to Whiskers Pet Grooming, in Long Beach

      surfdog.gifSurf City USA is going to the Dogs -- surf dogs!
      On Sunday, Oct. 11, 2009, the inaugural Surf City Surf Dog is bound to attract attention as "man's best friend" takes on the challenge of surfing! Yes, dogs will be surfing!  So grab your surfboard and pup and join us!   Or, if surfing isn't your thing, enter any of our MANY contests:  Cutest Puppy; Owner-Dog Look-Alike; Best-In-Show Costume Contest!;  K-9 Kayak; Surf City Surf Dog benefits:  Huntington Dog Beach, OC Humane Society, Boston Buddies, Boxer Rescue of Orange County, Cuddly Canines Rescue and Coastal German Shepherd Rescue.  Visit www.SurfCitySurfDog.com for more information.

      Gemini Cosmic Canine Celebration
      CAMP BOW WOW DOGGY DAY AND OVERNIGHT CAMP
      located at 1431 N. Daly St. in Anaheim, will host the Gemini Cosmic Canine Celebration, a twin contest and parade, celebrating summer and the Gemini zodiac sign on Sunday, June 7th from 11 a.m. to 2.p.m. There will be awards for the best costumes, most identical match-up, and look-alike parents and pooches. There will be activities, a pet psychic, professional photos, local dog rescues, raffle prizes, food, and vendors at the event as well. (714) 533-2267

      WAG K-9 Rescue Garage Sale and Fundraiser Saturday, May 23, 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.  La Barca Dr @ Barnwall, La Mirada, CA
      Multi family garage sale with toys, tools, sports equipment, furniture, clothes and much more sold for the medical benefit of sick and injured dogs.  There is also a raffle for 2 American Airlines tickets in continental US and 2 Hilton Hotel nights.  For additional information or to make a donation please call (714) 329-7084.  Help us save lives!

      NOW HIRING MARKETING MANAGER
      Alpha Pet Care is currently seeking a part-time freelance marketing manager/pet care associate for Huntington Beach and the surrounding communities. Preferably someone living in the HB community. Must have marketing and/or outside sales background as well as extensive experience owning pets. Please visit http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mar/1111742841.html for more details about the position. No phone calls.

      HAUTE DOG OF THE WEEK
      CLICK HERE to see Rosie & Riley's weekly "Pick of the Litter."

      OLDEST DOG
      in the world.  See the video.

      Alpha Pet CarePET SITTING, OVERNIGHT CARE, DOG WALKING & EXERCISE
      Alpha is proud to be Long Beach and Orange County's first choice for pet sitting, overnight care, dog walking & daycare for over 10 years! Whether you're going to work or heading out we'll keep things ordinary with our extraordinary care. Become a part of our family, enroll at www.alphapetcare.com or call our 'haute'-line 866.SiT.FiDO (866.748.3436).  Licensed, Insured, Bonded, & Pet CPR Certified.

      HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

      auditon for dog whisperer

      the Dog Whisperer Web site.  All three auditions will be conducted from 4 to 5 p.m. The dates and locations are: May 8: PetCo, 475 Foothill Blvd., La Canada, CA 91011; May 15: PetCo, 1873 Westwood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025; May 22: PetCo, 5215 Lakewood Blvd., Lakewood, CA 90712; To get a feel for what one of these auditions are like, we posted on the South Bay Pets blog and wrote a Daily Breeze story about the show's San Pedro audition last Sept..

      PET FIRST AID & CPR CLASS

      Get Certified!

      Sat. May 16, 10-2 p.m., Redondo Beach.

      Register on-line:

      www.lovingyourdogs.com

      lolamandyshower.gif6.gif Because you Are their Mommy too…

      Can you think of anybody better to spend your Mother's Day with than your Dear Dog? Neither can we…That's  why we are hosting a Mommy and Me Day.  Along with Merle Norman, Sudsy Dog and Christian Pierre Photography we have put together a full day of beauty and relaxation for you and your canine love.  Foaming Facials & Nail clipping for your pooch, a great make over for you and a great picture for both!  Call us for details, fee schedule and to RSVP (562) 354-6040

      Laguna Woods spay/neuter ordinance passes
      city council met on April 15 and passed an ordinance to require spay and neutering in their city for all animals that are picked up. This is a historic first for OC.

      Justin Rudd's "Nat'l Adult Spelling Bee" | Long Beach, Calif.

      32 new photos | 45 spellers | see the winner and winning words

      Woman Accused of Taping Boyfriend's Dog to Fridge Given OK to Live ...

      re. parvo
      As a veterinarian who has treated hundreds of Parvo patients I find the above comments to be inaccurate and unhelpful.  First of all, recognize that a small number of Parvo patients recover without  any professional care. To improve chances of recovery from about 30%  without care to  much over 90% hospitalization is required. The virus causes vomiting, loss of protein and profound dehydration. The solution is aggressive intravenous rehydration -- no miracle cure given by mouth  will ever  work in a vomiting patient because it will not be absorbed by a vomiting patient.  The average duration of hospitalization is 3-5 days, so it is probable that your sister's dog was on his way to recovery after appropriate care at the veterinarian office.  Let me also remind the readers that puppies properly vaccinated for Parvo  virus starting at 6 weeks of age and boosted every 3weeks through 16wks, are very un likely to come down with this disease in the first place. The emphasis should be placed  on proper  vaccination rather than  unproven panaceas.  - Ena Valikov DVM   (NOTE FROM JUSTIN: ALWAYS CONSULT WITH YOUR VET)

      Robert MacNeil, tenorThis Sunday
      jUSTIN Rudd/CAT to host Professional Opera/Piano/Harp Concert in Belmont Shore
      RSVP Now: Free 90-Minute Mother's Day Concert of Professional Opera, Piano & Harp
      The church seats 450.  Mother's Day, Sun., May 10, 3 p.m., Bay Shore Church, 5100 E. The Toledo, Long Beach, Calif., 90803. MAP; This event is hosted by Justin Rudd and his nonprofit 501c3 Community Action Team (C.A.T.) and is supported, in whole, by funds raised at their Long Beach Turkey Trot 5K/10K and Haute Dog Parades. WEB SITE
      QUICK LINKS
      performers/music clips
      free tickets
      free reception
      THE CONCERT WILL include: soprano solo of Bach/Gounod's "Ave Maria" with harp; soprano/tenor duet of "Libiamo" from La Traviata; piano performances will include some Rachmaninoff Preludes.  Tenor solos will include, "Dein ist mein ganzes Herz," from Das Land des Lachelns by Lehar; and "Recondita Harmonia," from Tosca by Puccini.  Music subject to modification.  RSVP NOW for free tickets.   Limit four tickets per person. We do expect a sell-out.

      justin needs help This Sun. (Mother's Day)
      3 p.m. is our 90-minute, professional opera/piano/harp concert at Bay Shore Church in Belmont Shore.  I'm in need of approx. 10-15 top-notch volunteers to hand out the tickets, usher and host the post-event reception. Any chance you and/or friends could help?  If so, I can use six volunteers to help at the will-call tables from 1:45-3 p.m.; eight volunteers for ushering from 2 - 3:15 p.m.; and four reception helpers from 4:15-5:30 p.m.  I can also use plates of cookies/brownies/bags of ice for the reception that follows the concert.  Refreshments can be left at the church fellowship hall on event day, starting at 1:30.  I can also use help spreading the word to others who might be able to help or attend.  Dress is upscale casual or dressy.  No shorts.  I can provide free tickets (up to four per person) to anyone (volunteers or otherwise) who RSVPs to me, if they want to sit and just enjoy the event.  It's general admission, but RSVPs are required.  I expect a full house, and the venue seats 450.  Event details here: Opera in Belmont Shore.

      A Girl and Her Dog

      Dogs and Heat Don't Mix

      This Sat.
      LONG BEACH GREEN FESTIVAL - E. Village Arts District
      free; May 9, 2009 from 9 a.m. - 10 p.m. E. Village Arts District 1st & Linden, Long Beach, CA * E. Village Farmers Market * 2nd Sat. Art Walk * Main stage entertainment with bands and performers * Interactive informational booths * Workshops and classes * Visual arts (paintings, sculptures, and movies) * Performing arts (theatre, music, poetry, etc) * Public discussion on going green Hosted by E. Village Farmers Market, 2nd Sat. Art Walk, Catalyst Community, DeAvy Art Gallery, T's Space, E. Village Arts

      NOTE FROM JUSTIN
      There will be no DOG e-Newsletters on the last two weeks of May and all of June.  Next week, May 14 is the final newsletter before Justin's sabbatical.

      JUSTIN'S WEEKLY HAUTE LINKS
      - Justin Rudd's Dog Photography on the beach | $100 Special
      - Long Beach Dog Beach -- Long Beach (open daily, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
      - Adoptable SoCal Dogs
      - German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue
      - Glendale Humane Society
      - Golden Retriever Rescue of L.A.

      Benefit Car Show for LB K9 OFFICERS

      May 9, 10 am to 3 p.m., rain or shine;  Long Beach POA Park  (located behind Lowes & Wal Mart at Carson St./605 Freeway, Towne Center); FREE TO THE PUBLIC; Classic cars from 1973 and earlier will be on display. Food, vendors and Johnny Rocket and the V-Twins will make the day fun for the whole family. You will also be able to see our Long Beach K-9's in action when they perform for the crowd. 100% of profits go to support the K-9 Dogs and their retirement.

      Become a fan.

      Ralph is working on this movie
      Fox will open Wes Anderson's stop-motion animated film "Fantastic Mr. Fox" on Nov. 13. Film's voice cast includes George Clooney, and Meryl Streep.  Click the link to become "a fan."  FACEBOOK FAN PAGE

      Animal Care Services will be promoting Be Kind to Animals Week and the health benefits of adoption at this weekend's Mental Health Fair in Bixby Park.  Please visit our booth to speak with officials and volunteers about the benefits and opportunities for adopting a companion animal.  May is Mental Health Awareness Month.  The Long Beach Health Department, working with community organizations that promote mental health services, will be holding a free Mental Health Wellness Event on Saturday, May 9, from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm at Bixby Park, located on the corner of Cherry Avenue and Ocean Boulevard, in Long Beach. The public is invited.  There will be kittens on the premise to encourage participants to adopt.  Volunteer by contacting John_Keisler@....

      Dog saves man who saved him

      Victoria Principal Sued Over Dog Incident

      Tips when caring for an elderly dog or cat

      ADVERTISE ON THIS E-NEWSLETTER
      Let area dog lovers know about you, your services and your business!  More than 12,300 SoCal dog-loving subscribers.  Starting now at only $25 cash for 100-word paragraph.  Contact Justin@...  for full rates/details.

      Haute DogsAdoptions Bulldog ContestDog BeachEaster Parade | Howl'oween Parade | History | LB Dog LawsOff-leash AreasDog of the WeekRosie!DOG e-NewsDog Poetry

      Hope to see you  at the events listed below.

      With kind regards,
      justin rudd signature 300
      Justin Rudd!
      click: www.JustinRudd.com

      upcoming
      - NEW Opera in Belmont Shore Mother's Day Sun., May 10, (Free, RSVP required)
      - 30-Minute Beach Cleanup Sat., May 16 (10-year anniv.)
      - Justin's 40th Birthday Sat., June 6

      connect with Justin! | click these links
      http://www.nationformarriage.org/atf/cf/%7b39D8B5C1-F9FE-48C0-ABE6-1029BA77854C%7d/logo_facebook.gifhttp://www.nationformarriage.org/atf/cf/%7b39D8B5C1-F9FE-48C0-ABE6-1029BA77854C%7d/logo_myspace.gifhttp://www.nationformarriage.org/atf/cf/%7b39D8B5C1-F9FE-48C0-ABE6-1029BA77854C%7d/logo_twitter.gifhttp://www.nationformarriage.org/atf/cf/%7b39D8B5C1-F9FE-48C0-ABE6-1029BA77854C%7d/logo_youtube.gif

      e-Newsletters from Justin!
      get 'em now

      More than 90 Random Facts about Justin!

      facts, videos & photos

      ————
       J U S T I N R U D D . C O M
      Explore.  Dream.  Discover.

      ————

      Subscribe to DOG e-News | Unsubscribe | Archives