new dog books; adoption; dogs cause falls; dog's tumor; spring pet days; more

  • Justin Rudd!
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 2:43 PM

      Justin Rudd's
      So Cal DOG e-News
      compiled weekly by Justin Rudd! for his 12,300+ subscribers
      Thurs., April 2, 2009
      presented this week by
      Wags to Whiskers Pet Grooming, in Long Beach

      petphotopros.gifDON'T MISS THE WISKERS EASTER BUNNY BASH!

      Sat., April 11, 11-4 at Wiskers Pet Boutique & Spaw of Long Beach. Festivities include: Best Dressed for Easter Contests, Raffle, Prizes, Easter Portraits, Doggy baked goods from Calif. K-9 Kitchen, Doggy Adoptions by Animal Abuse Prevention Agency, Food & Fun! "Best Costume" Contest held from 11-3 with winners announced at 3:30. "Best Easter Duo" Contest from 11-3:30 with winners announced at 4. For more info, call (310) 294-0197 or (562) 433-0707, or stop by Wiskers at 4818 E. 2nd St. Long Beach, CA 90803. www.PetPhotoPros.com

      HAUTE DOG OF THE WEEK
      CLICK HERE to see Rosie & Riley's weekly "Pick of the Litter."  The Haute Dog of the Week is presented by LaunderPet where new grooming customers save $5 off their first visit ($25 minimum) with this ad!

      JUSTIN'S WEEKLY HAUTE LINKS
      - Justin Rudd's Dog Photography on the beach | $100 Special
      - Long Beach Dog Beach -- Long Beach (open daily, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
      - Adoptable SoCal Dogs
      - Dog-friendly rentals in SoCal
      - Bulldog Club of America - Rescue
      - Canine Crusaders
      - Canine Rescue Coalition

      cid:3321265256_1113838Just This Side of Heaven by Timothy Glass
      A Journey that Celebrates Life Through Loss.  Just This Side of Heaven is a story about love and devotion between human and pet. This story will grab your heart from the first page and have you laughing and crying until the last.  I am a dog lover, and had lost my beloved bulldog. I came away after reading this book with a healing feeling; not only about my pet but also the loss of my mother.  Thank you for a wonderful book. - L. Paulson  Visit  www.justthissideofheaven.com; Amazon and Barnes and Noble

      NOTE FROM JUSTIN
      There will be no DOG e-Newsletters on the last two weeks of May and all of June.

      DOG ADOPTION, BOARDING, DAY CARE, training & MORE!
      Just 20 minutes north of LB - Beagles & Buddies, 2661 N. Strozier Ave., El Monte, 91733. Lotsa great dogs.  Bring yours to "meet and greet" Open House Wed, Thurs, Sat. & Sun. 10a-4p.  www.beaglesandbuddies.org  Ph 626/444-9664

      Alpha Pet CarePET SITTING, OVERNIGHT CARE, DOG WALKING & EXERCISE
      Alpha is proud to be Long Beach and Orange County's first choice for pet sitting, overnight care, dog walking & daycare for over 10 years! Whether you're going to work or heading out we'll keep things ordinary with our extraordinary care. Become a part of our family, enroll at www.alphapetcare.com or call our 'haute'-line 866.SiT.FiDO (866.748.3436).  Licensed, Insured, Bonded, & Pet CPR Certified.

      It's a dog's life - why not save a few?

      msnbc.com - My friends joke with me that my life has gone to the dogs! And I couldn't be happier about that. One of the true blessings of my job is being able to do ...

      Seal Beach Licensing Canvassing
      There are over 2,500 dogs currently licensed in the City of Seal Beach and even more that have never registered with the City.  License Inspectors from the City of Long Beach Animal Care Services Bureau will be working with local volunteers to update license records through door-to-door canvassing. Canvassing for delinquent licenses and expired proof of rabies will be conducted across the City of Seal Beach throughout April 2009 or until it is completed.  License inspectors will be going door to door to check on delinquent licenses, initiate a license for a new pet or to ask for proof of rabies certification.  In order to avoid a citation for having an unlicensed dog, visit www.longbeach.gov/acs for an online application.  Dog licenses are currently as follows:

              Seal Beach Dog License: $12 (altered)
              Seal Beach Dog License: $65 (unaltered)
              Seal Beach Dog License: $6 (senior altered)
              Seal Beach Dog License: $32.50 (senior unaltered)

      Atticus1.gif

      adopt Atticus (PICTURED): a year in a shelter is too long
      Atticus is a very special boy who has been at the Seal Beach Animal Care Center for almost a year. He is an athletic, high-energy dog who is handsome, affectionate and lovable.  He doesn't care for other dogs or cats and he would do best in a home without small children.  He wants and needs to be the only pet, but he will shower you with a lifetime of love and devotion. contact@...

      Justin, information provided about extra work is incorrect
      A non-union extra gets paid $64 for 8 hours and a union extra gets paid $23.00 for 8 hours.  A non-union person who brings a dog gets an additional $20 and a non-union person who brings a dog gets $23.  It breaks down like this:
      Non-union - $64.00/8 + $20 for a dog
      SAG Union - $130.00/8 + $23 for the dog
      I might add that these are long days for the dog to endure which a lot of production companies do not take into consideration.  You can verify all of this information above with Central Casting at (818) (562) 2700.  -  Cassie

      FALLING CAUSED BY DOGS
      CNN says that 86,000 fall injuries in America each year are caused by pets, with dogs being the biggest culprits.

      My friend Jesse's new book:
      Fido: Bona Fide Mutt is a poignant tale of the unlikely friendship of a dysfunctional mutt dog (Fido)and a cantankerous Tom cat (Don Juan del Gatos). This engaging story--both humorous and serious--shows the transformational potential of truth and transparency in a context of love.  Available now at Amazon.com for $15.99.

      Orange County Pet Expo
      Costa Mesa fairgrounds; April 17-19

      Charity Pet Fashion Show
      Paul Mitchell School in Costa Mesa (1534 Adams Ave). Sunday, April 19.

      Pets Feel the Recession, Too

      New York Times - It wasn’t long ago that one way the wealthy flashed their fortunes was by decking their dogs in Burberry collars and sending them for spa services. ...

      Conference on animals and religion.

      Friday, April 24. 9 am. Chapman University.

      REMOVING DOG'S TUMOR?
      Hi Justin, You and your love for your dogs came to mind.  I am moving back to L.A. area and am looking for a fantastic veterinarian who is stellar at removing tumors.  The geographic area is anywhere in South land.  - Lucia

      this Sun. in Pasadena
      VeterinarianS To Provide FREE Screenings and Answer Dog Owner Questions

      Mobile Dog Heart Health Tour will make stops in early April with a sound-proof medical unit at parks to perform free heart  examinations of local dogs.  Sunday, April 5, 10 a.m. -- 4 p.m.; Alice's Dog Park in the Vina Vieja Park, 3026 E. Orange Grove Blvd., Pasadena, 91102, Cat Williams, DVM, DACVIM; Ruth MacPete, DVM; This event is free and open to the public.  No appointment necessary.  Contact: robyn@...

      Laurel's beach cleanup this Sat.

      Ongoing, First Sat. of every month, starting April 4.  9 a.m.-Noon.  Gloves, bags, and a limited number of parking passes will be provided.  Meet in the parking lot at the end of Termino Avenue. (Termino and Ocean)  - Laurel Terreri

      less than a week left; donate today
      Justin Rudd's OPERATION EASTER BASKET
      collecting baskets and online donations now til April 8.  CAN WE COUNT ON YOU and four friends to put together five Easter baskets for needy Long Beach kids?  Our goal is 1,500 baskets this year.  The Operation seeks to bring joy and hope to children in desperate situations right here in the Long Beach area through gift-filled Easter Baskets containing items such as small toys, school supplies, art supplies, hygiene products, essential clothing items and some Easter candy. In 2008, more than 1,500 baskets were delivered on Easter weekend to the most underserved children in Long Beach, hand-selected by the public health nurses at the City of Long Beach Health Department and other public and private agencies.  www.OperationEaster.com

      Will you make a basket or donate?
      Make a safe & secure donation to Operation Easter Basket.
      Tax-deductible payment to Justin Rudd's 501c3 nonprofit Community Action Team (C.A.T.).

      CANCELED FOR 2009
      HAUTE DOG EASTER PARADE for charity

      call for artists
      Justin Rudd's $1,000 BELMONT SHORE SIDEWALK CHALK ART CONTEST
      This 6TH ANNUAL contest is sure to "draw" a crowd on Sun., April 19, 2009, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.  Attracting approx. 100 seasoned and emergent visual artists, including participants from local high schools and universities, the Community Action Team's "Belmont Shore Chalk Art Contest" will showcase the works of diverse artists who use chalk as their medium, and the sidewalks of Belmont Shore as their canvas.  THE CONTEST will take place in Belmont Shore, along the trendy Second St. business corridor and is co-sponsored by Gazette Newspapers. Entry is free (see details at Web site) and spectators are welcome.  www.JustinRudd.com/chalk.html

      adult spellers sought
      Justin Rudd's National ADULT SPELLING BEE

      Sun., May 3, 2009, 2 p.m.; Bay Shore Church, Belmont Shore.  Annual event in Long Beach for adults who live or work in the United States.  $30/advance; $50/week-of; $5 to spectate.  Contact Justin@... or (562) 439-3316.  www.adultspellingbee.com/

      a Justin Rudd event:
      BELMONT SHORE OPERA - FREE IF YOU RSVP NOW
      Mother's Day Sunday, May 10, 2009; 3 p.m.; Bay Shore Church.  RSVP now to get your free tickets.  Reg. $35-$50.  Details at www.JustinRudd.com/opera.html

      SPRING PET DAYS
      This Saturday and Sunday, April 4 and 5, the Animal Assistance League of Orange County will host its first Spring Pet Days event. The festivities all take place at the Orange County Fair and Event Center during the Orange County Market Place weekend swap meet from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Cost of admission to the swap meet (required to enter the pet event) is $2 for adults; kids 12 and under enter free.  Participating pet rescue groups include the Animal Assistance League of Orange County, German Shepherd Rescue of Orange County, Southern California Dachshund Rescue, Southern California Bulldog Rescue, Greyhound Pets of America, Roverlution and Little Bow Wow Rescue.  The Orange County Market Place is located at 88 Fair Drive in Costa Mesa.  -- Lindsay Barnett, LA Times

      ADVERTISE ON THIS E-NEWSLETTER
      Let area dog lovers know about you, your services and your business!  More than 12,300 SoCal dog-loving subscribers.  Starting now at only $25 cash for 100-word paragraph.  Contact Justin@...  for full rates/details.

      Haute DogsAdoptions Bulldog ContestDog BeachEaster Parade | Howl'oween Parade | History | LB Dog LawsOff-leash AreasDog of the WeekRosie!DOG e-NewsDog Poetry

      With kind regards,
      justin rudd signature 300
      Justin Rudd!

      upcoming
      - Operation Easter Basket collecting baskets now til April 8 (or donate online now)
      -
      30-Minute Beach Cleanup Sat., April 18
      -
      Belmont Shore Sidewalk Chalk Art Contest Sun., April 19
      -
      Mom Prom Sun., April 26
      -
      Nat'l Adult Spelling Bee Sun., May 3
      - NEW Opera in Belmont Shore Mother's Day Sun., May 10, (Free, RSVP required)
      - 30-Minute Beach Cleanup Sat., May 16 (10-year anniv.)
      - Justin's 40th Birthday Sat., June 6

      YouTube  | Facebook  | MySpace | Twitter
      connect with Justin!

      e-Newsletters from Justin!
      get 'em now

      More than 90 Random Facts about Justin!

      facts, videos & photos

      ————
       J U S T I N R U D D . C O M
      Explore.  Dream.  Discover.

      ————

      Subscribe to DOG e-News | Unsubscribe | Archives