cloned dog; no-kill workshops in LA; Kong collection for Long Beach; K9 obesity; more

  • Justin Rudd!
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2008

      Justin Rudd's
      So Cal DOG e-News
      compiled weekly by
      Justin Rudd! for his 11,000+ subscribers
      Thurs., Aug. 7, 2008
      presented this week by
      Wags to Whiskers Pet Grooming

      Interested in Human and Animal Rights?
      Lobby for issues you care about with minimal time and effort.  Personally influence your government (we do most of the work!) by ordering one of our kits.  Sign, stamp, and mail the letters we prepare for YOUR representatives, preprinted with YOUR name and address.  Available subjects: Ending Global HIV/AIDS, Ending Violence Against Women in the U.S., Improving Factory Farming Conditions, Stopping the Forced Feeding of Ducks and Geese, and Ending Animal Fighting (coming soon).  Visit
      www.ActionPacks.net.

      DOG ADOPTION, BOARDING, DAY CARE, training & MORE!
      Just 20 minutes north of LB - Beagles & Buddies, 2661 N. Strozier Ave., El Monte, 91733. Lotsa great dogs.  Bring yours to "meet and greet" Open House Wed, Thurs, Sat. & Sun. 10 am - 4 p.m.
      www.beaglesandbuddies.org  Ph 626 444 9664

      THE COMPUTERMEISTER CAN HELP!

      Hardware problems?  Software trouble?  Computer viruses?  Is Microsoft Office driving you crazy?  One phone call is all your computer needs! I have years of experience with setting up, maintaining and troubleshooting Windows and Mac computers, networks and software. My hourly rates are reasonable and I come to your house or office in L.A. and Orange counties without any travel charges. Night and weekend appointments available.  Call Kai at (213) 254-7480 or e-mail to  kai@...   Web site:  www.thecomputermeister.com

      RALPHS RUFFS

      - RILEY WAS SCRATCHED BY A SCARY KITTY YESTERDAY

      - OPENING OLYMPIC CERMONIES FRI. NIGHT

      - CLONED DOG

      - DOG CHASES BEAR UP A TREE

      - CATS ARE DOING IT TOO

      - AND GOD CREATED A PUPPY....WHICH MADE MANY CATS MAD

      HAUTE DOG OF THE WEEK
      Check out this dog!  (sponsor this paragraph with your business name/Web hyperlink here; contact
      Justin@...)

      mark your calendar!
      HAUTE DOG HOWL'OWEEN PARADE
      Sun., Oct. 26, Livingston Park and 2nd St., Belmont Shore, Long Beach.  Vendors and rescue groups now being accepted.  Contact
      Justin@....  Web site: www.HauteDogs.org/howloween.html.

      you can still enter this weight-loss contest

      LONG BEACH LOSERS - 12-week team weight-loss contest
      $14,750 was awarded last year!  Five-person teams will compete to lose weight over a 12-week period.  Wed. weigh-ins, from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. at Runners' High, 5338 E. Second St., Long Beach (Belmont Shore), 90803.  Last weigh-in is Wed., Oct. 15 at Runners' High.  Details at
      www.LongBeachLosers.com   Contact Justin@...

      workshops to look at how the city shelters can achieve a "no-kill" policy
      The
      L.A. Department of Animal Services on Wed. evening is holding the first of 11 scheduled workshops to look at how the city shelters can achieve a "no kill" policy. All meetings are open to the public. (Locations and times are below.)  Every municipal animal shelter wants to arrive at a "no-kill" policy.  Essentially, that means that no healthy animals -- like the young pooches pictured above in the city's South L.A. shelter in Jan. -- will be euthanized for lack of space. Being able to do that is a challenge.  The Humane L.A. Workshops will look at what is being done and what could be done better. "We want to get input from stakeholders in our community," says Animal Services general manager Ed Boks, who will attend the Wed. workshop.  The first meeting is the High Volume/Low-Cost Spay/Neuter Workshop, focusing on that topic and its effect on the goal of no-kill. It is scheduled to be hosted by Councilman Bernard Parks.  Also expected, in addition to Boks, are Teri Austin of the Amanda Foundation and Judie Mancuso, the director of Calif. Healthy Pets, the campaign to get the Calif. spay/neuter bill, A.B. 1634, passed.  The location is the Constituent Service Center, 8475 S. Vermont Ave. (near Manchester), Los Angeles. Time: 6:30 p.m.  - Carla Hall.  View article

      PLEASE ADOPT
      Check out the mixes and purebreds at the
      L.A. city shelter system or the L.A. County shelter system or Long Beach Animal Care Services.  And, check out rescue groups on Petfinder.com and 1-800-Save-a-Pet

      DOG BEACH IN LONG BEACH

      All day, daily, off-leash, 3 acres.  www.DogZone.org

      SAND CHALLENGE w/ justin!
      This Sat., and every Sat. at 9 a.m. Meet near the parking lot, on the concrete boat launch ramp by the bike path at 1 Granada Ave. (@ Ocean Blvd.). $10/per class.
      www.SandChallenge.com

      new Beach Body Sculpting
      Justin Rudd's Beach Body Sculpting classes EACH WED., July 23 - Oct. 15, 5:30-6:30 p.m. $10 per class or $65/ for all 13 classes, or $60/ for any eight classes. Bring a pair of your own light hand weights (10-lb. max., 3-8 lbs. per hand recommended, Justin will use 10 lbs.) and a large towel to the classes. Meet on the concrete boat launch ramp at 1 Granada Ave. in Belmont Shore.
      www.SandChallenge.com

      Overcoming Canine Obesity

      Extra pounds add up to extra risk.

      GET THE SKINNY ON SLIMMING YOUR DOG

      a toy for every animal
      Toy "KONG" Donation Drive for City of Long Beach Animal Care Services
      Goal is 500 Kongs.  Chew toys like the Classic Kong help keep animal's minds and bodies engaged, leading to greater health and a higher rate of adoption.  The irresistible chew toy is indestructible and safe.  It can be easily cleaned and disinfected after each use.  Purchase all sizes of Kong Classic toys directly
      online or at any pet store.  Either drop them off yourself at the P.D. Pitchford Animal Shelter (ask for Long Beach Animal Care Service) or have them shipped directly to: 7700 E. Spring St., Long Beach, CA 90815, Contact: Debra Brubaker, Public Health Associate (562) 570-7387.  DONATIONS can be made at/to Friends of Long Beach Animals (FOLBA), to obtain toys for the dogs as well as the cats.

      Chihuahuas reign as L.A. County's most popular dog breed

      According to a database compiled by The Times, there are 59,684 registered Chihuahuas in L.A. County, followed by 58,071 Labradors.

      this Sunday
      JUSTIN RUDD'S BELMONT SHORE 5K run/walk
      Sun., Aug. 10, 9 a.m., 1 Granada Ave., 3.1 miles on the beach bike path; details at
      www.SandChallenge.com

      haute dogs will get a small percentage of every dollar you spend at Ralph's, if you register your ralph's card
      New Ralphs Rewards Card program can benefit Justin's nonprofit 501c3 Community Action Team (C.A.T.)/HauteDogs/Operation Santa Paws.  As most of you probably know, Ralphs recently launched its new ‘Ralphs Rewards' program.  All customers will complete a new application and receive a new card the next time they go shopping at Ralphs.  As long as you LINK your previously enrolled Ralphs Club Card with your new Ralphs Rewards Card, Ralphs' participation with CAT/HauteDogs/etc. will continue without change.  As a confirmation point, everyone will still see the HauteDogs/Operation Santa Paws contribution note at the bottom of their receipt.  (It may take up to a month for the link to take effect.)  If you did not link their two cards together when they received their new Rewards Card, you must go online at
      www.ralphs.com/ccprogram.htm to enroll their new Ralphs Rewards Card with us.  Our NPO (nonprofit) number is 80230

      Puppies at work
      Most puppy owners feel guilty about leaving their puppies at home alone. As a result it's becoming more common for some puppies to go into work with their owner.
      http://r2.vidiemi.com/vemail7/pd/c606/LearnMore.gif

      Puppies that dig
      Puppies dig for many reasons. Two possible reasons are to keep cool, and to expend energy. When it's hot out, a cool hole provides escape from the heat.
      http://r2.vidiemi.com/vemail7/pd/c606/LearnMore.gif

      Ear mites and your puppy
      Ear mites can affect a dog at any age; however they're more common in puppies because puppies haven't built up immunity to them.
      http://r2.vidiemi.com/vemail7/pd/c606/LearnMore.gif

      Woman Gets Five Clones of Her Pitbull

      ongoing dispute over dog cloning, appears in Baltimore Sun

      Visit
      www.LongBeachLosers.com to see:
      - the AMAZING jackpot total so far
      - the average age of participants
      - the current Loser e-newsletter (pdf)
      - the team names
      - last/this week's prize winner (randomly selected from all who lost weight)

      Alpha Pet CarePET SITTING, OVERNIGHT CARE, DOG WALKING & EXERCISE
      Alpha is proud to be Long Beach and Orange County's first choice for pet sitting, overnight care, dog walking & daycare for over 10 years! This summer, whether you're going on vacation or just to work we'll keep things ordinary with our extraordinary care. Become a part of our family, order online at
      www.alphapetcare.com or call our 'haute'-line 866.SiT.FiDO (866.748.3436).  Licensed, Insured, Bonded, & Pet CPR Certified.

      What's the Best Way to Give My Dog a Pill?

      Dogs don't realize that a pill can be a good thing to swallow.

      EASY WAYS TO GET A PILL DOWN THE HATCH

      Help Your Dog Survive the Dog Days

      If the summer heat is getting to you, imagine how your dog feels.

      HOW TO HELP YOUR DOG KEEP HIS COOL

      proof that kids need pets
      video - so funny!!

      Den-Logo-125.gifThe Den BarberSalon has a dream to create
      an environment rich in comforts. We believe in the power of positive creation. We hold ourselves to a much higher standard so we can create a much greater experience. Pampering our clients is only part of it.  Our services include men's and women's cuts, color and barber services.  Ask Nicole about Balayage.  300 West Ocean Blvd Suite F (downtown, inside the Camden Apt. campus off Ocean/Magnolia).  FREE PARKING.  Mon. - Fri. 10 a.m. -8 p.m.; Sat. and Sun. 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.; 562.612.3361 or
      appointments@...; Web: www.MySpace.com/thekrippsden

      JUSTIN'S WEEKLY HAUTE LINKS
      -
      Justin Rudd's Dog Photography on the beach | $75 Special
      -
      Long Beach Dog Beach -- Long Beach (open daily, 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
      -
      Adoptable SoCal Dogs
      -
      Dog-friendly rentals in SoCal
      -
      Dog Scouts of America
      -
      Calming Signals Community (Turid Rugaas)
      -
      Love on Four Paws

      shelters that foster pets
      Awhile back a friend of mine emailed information for
      No Paws Left Behind, a non-profit organization that solely focuses on the welfare of the silent victims of foreclosure, our pets. Out of all the foreclosure Web sites I've come across, this one seems to be the most comprehensive. If you can't find an interim place for your pet, click the link to find a foster shelter. There are all kinds within a 60 mile radius of the San Fernando Valley. Just punch in your zip code.  View article

      folba.gifBECOME A HERO TO THE ANIMALS BY JOINING FRIENDS OF LONG BEACH ANIMALS
      in the war to stop the deadly cycle of pet overpopulation and animal abuse. In Long Beach alone, thousands of animals lose their lives due to these preventable problems. Be your own HERO TO THE ANIMALS. Become a member of FRIENDS OF LONG BEACH ANIMALS for as little as $20 a year.  Sponsor the spay/neuter of a dog for $75 or a cat for $25. For more information or to donate through PayPal go to
      www.FOLBA.org. SAVING LIVES THRU SPAY/NEUTER & EDUCATION SINCE 1989.

      In the Swim With Your Dog

      Is your pooch ready for some fun in the water?

      MAKE A SPLASH WITH THESE SMART SAFETY TIPS

      Veterinary Q & A - Spaying (ovariohysterectomy) in Dogs and Cats

      Discount and free spay/neuter coupons to L.A. City residents
      There are discount Spay/Neuter coupons as well free coupons for low & no income L.A. city residents at any one of the six L.A. City locations.
      Locate the Animal Care Center nearest you

      dogs and cats must be Spayed/Neutered in the City of L.A.
      if older than four months.  Effective this past April, but there is a grace period until this Oct. 1.

      FREE spay/neuter Vouchers

      FREE spay-neuter vouchers for dogs or cats are available through the six L.A. City's shelters to qualifying L.A. City residents; good at specific veterinarians, only. Vouchers are available to low-income people (making under $40,000 per year.) Please contact L.A. Animal Services: 213 473-8253.  Locate the Animal Care Center nearest you

      Pet-Friendly Landlords
      in L.A. County

      pet olympics in our local mountains

      And, there are other locations - see link and home.

      Spay Neuter Van

      Free surgeries are available through the L.A. City Spay-Neuter Van, which rotates throughout Los Angeles. Surgeries are scheduled ahead of time and are available to low-income people (making under $40,000 per year.) Please contact L.A. Animal Services: 310 364-4282 for the schedule.

      If you suspect animal cruelty, poisoning or abandonment
      call the SPCA-L.A. @ 800-540-SPCA

      Actors and Others : Spay/Neuter Help

      To receive a free spay/neuter surgery, the pit bull must be your personal family pet. .. Discount Coupon Program for qualifying L.A. City residents

      Summer Safety Tips for Seniors

      Summer heat getting to you? Imagine how your dog feels.

      HELP HIM KEEP HIS COOL

      ADVERTISE ON THIS E-NEWSLETTER
      Let area dog lovers know about you, your services and your business!  More than 10,700 SoCal dog-loving subscribers.  Starting now at only $25 cash for 100-word paragraph.  Contact
      Justin@...  for full rates/details.

      Haute DogsAdoptions Bulldog ContestDog BeachEaster Parade | Howl'oween Parade | History | LB Dog LawsOff-leash AreasDog of the WeekRosie!DOG e-NewsDog Poetry

      Subscribe to DOG e-News | Unsubscribe | Archives