Santa Paws starts today; dog dies from bee stings; pop arf; prison dogs

  • Justinrudd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      remove/unsubscribe DOG e-news below
      subscribe

      DOG E-NEWS

      Compiled by Justin! 12/1/2004
      3,200+ subscribers

      LA/OC/Long Beach drop box locations listed at www.SantaPaws.info

      official collection kicks off today all over the world

      "OPERATION SANTA PAWS" NEEDS YOUR HELP FOR ABUSED/ABANDONED PETS

      Your help is needed for this holiday toy/treat collection drive for shelter/rescue dogs and cats.  To start a collection for your local shelter, simply contact JustinRudd@... and he can e-mail you an 8.5x11 JPEG of the official poster that you can print and place on a cardboard box for a drop box that you can place in your office, at a pet store, veterinarian office, church, school, etc.  Then invite your friends, family, coworkers, etc. to put new toys and bags of treats in it.  Or, e-mail your address and Justin can mail an 8.5x11 poster to you.  Then, when you are finished collecting goods at your location on Dec. 22 or whatever date you choose, you can deliver your collected goods to your favorite shelter or drop the goods at one of our major drop-off locations in the LA/Orange Co./Long Beach-area listed on our Web site where we'll pick it up and deliver to various local shelters and rescues on Dec. 23. details: www.SantaPaws.info  --JustinRudd@...

      HAUTE DOG OF THE WEEK WAS RAISED TO BE A GUIDE DOG, BUT IS NOT
      Visit www.HauteDogs.org to see Rosie the Bulldog's Pick of the Litter and see how you can submit your dog's photo/info for possible inclusion.

      HOLIDAY PET SITTERS & DAILY DOG WALKERS
      Long Beach pet sitting company is seeking responsible pet lovers to help pet sit & dog walk for clients over the holidays (and possibly longer).  We also need dog walkers for on-going assignments with a minimum of M-F
      12 pm to 5 pm availability.  Must have own e-mail, cell phone and car.  E-mail: TPSjobs@... .  Include major cross streets and ALL days/hours you're available for assignments.

      SANTA PAWS GOES INTERNATIONAL

      Hi Justin, I ran across your site while doing some research for the organization I volunteer with in Nova Scotia - the Nova Scotia SPCA - and I think your toy drive is a fantastic idea!  I would love to have your poster to use as a holiday drive of our own.  With your permission, of course.  ---Lisa Murphy; Halifax NS Canada

      LAKEWOOD FAMILY'S DOG, PINTO, DIES FROM BEE STINGS

      http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21474~2568076,00.html

      DOGGIE DAY CARE IN LONG BEACH

      Doggie in the Window, 4106 E. Anaheim Ave., Long Beach, $20/day or $75/week (5 days) Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m., includes snack, playtime, playgroups, one-on-one, toys, care for special needs appointments are required,  562/494-7085, http://www.doggieinthewindow.net

      ART AT POP ARF

      http://www.poparf.com  ---Nathan Janes

      LAST WEEK'S DOG OF THE WEEK FINDS A GREAT HOME

      Justin:  This is so wonderful of you and everyone. The messages at the bottom of this e-mail from your friends and readers of your newsletter are fantastic.  I have had a tremendous outpouring from so many people.  I have decided to keep Rocky with me. I have a large fenced in yard and home, and he will be very spoiled here...already. Here is the latest on Rocky: ( In fact, he is sitting on my lap as I try to write this now trying to type and sleep on my arms.).  Immediately upon hearing about my friend's death and Rocky's situation, that Rocky was in "jail," I sent out notices to everyone to spread the word to see if anyone wanted him. I got several great responses. Meanwhile, my friend Christina and I (animal lovers and activists that we are) just couldn't leave Rocky there. On Wed., the day before Thanksgiving, we spoke with Steve's brother in Louisiana, who was at the airport going to Kentucky to see his son for Thanksgiving.  Larry had to find a place in the busy airport in the holiday mayhem to Xerox his license and fax that and a letter of authorization to the shelter in order for Christina and me to pick up Rocky.  As she lives 5-10 minutes from the shelter/pound, she went in Wednesday afternoon as soon as the shelter got the fax of approval.  I then drove up and met Christina and Rocky and brought him back here to Lakewood.  (Christina told me that if I didn't keep Rocky, she wanted him and not to give him to anyone else. She already has 3 dogs and a cat, but fell in love with Rocky at first sight.)  It took me 2.5 hours on the freeways that afternoon before Thanksgiving, but I now have Rocky at my house. He had a bath within 15 minutes of arrival, ate and then enjoyed the two couches, both with soft "blankies" for him to rest on. My girlfriend paid the money for the shots (because we couldn't prove he already had them), adoption fees and a chip.  This was half of what it should have been because they liked him so much there, they didn't charge the impound fees. She won't let me pay her back, saying that if Rocky didn't work out here she wanted him.  Since then I have taken Rocky to my vet and had his nails clipped. I will get the rabies certificate from the shelter and license him for Lakewood tomorrow week.  Rocky slept on my stomach the first evening as I watched "The Batchelor" from my couch.  That night he slept on the bed, his head buried in the extra blankets. His ears are so little and thin, they get cold.  I guess that is why he burrows into and under the blankets. Rocky is now settling in. He even barked out the front window at some passing dogs. My mother calls often to ask how her new "grandson" is.  It is firm that Rocky will stay here with me and then visit Auntie Christina when I have to travel.  Auntie Kay, my other friend who told me about your newsletter, has already come to visit, bringing a toy.  Rocky loves company and loves to hop like a rabbit all around the front yard.  Rocky loves to look out the front window and watch what is going on.  He has even started barking, albeit half puppy - half dog type of a bark. So he is now feeling like this is his home. He is also great at playing ball.  I hope Steve is at peace and that he knows his friends are taking care of things.  As the Beatles (Steve's favorite group) sang, "Come together, right now, over me."  Well, we have, and I now have some new friends across the country because of Steve. Justin, Please extend my heartfelt thanks for everyone's wonderful response and your help spreading the word! I close with another quote from the Beatles, "And, in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."  ---Colby Haines

      JOIN THE TEAM THAT IS WORKING

      to end pet-overpopulation, end animal abuse and support laws and legislation that make abuse of animals a serious crime.  By becoming a member or making a contribution you will support SNIP (Spay/Neuter Incentive Program) which saves thousands of lives and allow our Humane Educator to teach the message of kindness and compassion to children within the Long Beach School System.  You can sponsor the spay/neuter of a dog for $50 or a cat for $25.   www.FriendsofLongBeachAnimals.org

      PET SUPPLIES, GROOMING & FURMINATOR; FUN & UNIQUE; 7 DAYS A WEEK!

      Choose Belmont Pets & LaunderPet for your pets' needs...and get great customer service & FREE local delivery!  We offer premium pet foods & supplies, a self-service wash, full-service grooming, the FURminator (reduces shedding up to 60% to 80%!) and the PET SPA CABIN -- a quick and easy way to wash your dog or cat for $12 to $15!  Self-service wash packages start at $8 and full-service grooming is available 7 DAYS A WEEK.  We are located at 3429 E. Broadway (just east of Redondo Ave.) in Long Beach.  Call 562-433-3605 or visit http://www.launderpet.com for coupons & more info!

      PROVO PROHIBITION: NO DOG AND CAT IN SAME HOUSE
      USA Today
      The truth about cats and dogs in
      Provo, Utah, is that they aren't allowed to live in the same house. Current city law allows residents to own up to two dogs or two cats at the same time but not a dog and a cat together. After getting complaints, the City Council is expected to change the law next month.

      DEER CHASING DOGS SHOT BY AREA HUNTER
      Chesterton Tribune
      The Indiana Department of Natural Resources is currently investigating the deaths of two dogs in Liberty Township that were shot by a hunter.
      DNR Conservation Officer Bob Cauffman said the hunter admitted shooting both dogs and that he didn't mistake them for a deer. He shot both dogs.

      POLICE RECONSIDER RULES FOR THEIR DOGS
      Northwestern

      Policies on the handling of police dogs in public have either changed or are under review after two bites in the past two years. Ricco is a 4 1/2-year-old Belgian Malinois that has been used by Neillsville police for about two years.

      PRISON DOGS
      WIBW-TV
      Topeka
      A non-for-profit animal rescue program has saved more than 150 dogs from being put to sleep and it has also rescued a few inmates at a state prison. The program,
      Safe Harbor, retrains and socializes dogs that have been abandoned or abused.

      RE. NINE-MONTH-OLD BRUSSELS GRIFFON IN NEED OF POTTY TRAINING

      Cindy, may I call your Brussels Griffon "Dominique"?  I'd hate to be so impersonal ("imcanine"?) as to refer to her as "your dog" throughout.  The way Dominique's brain works may be quite different than you suppose.  In fact, I'd almost bet on it.  I approached such problems in much the same way you have until I read The Culture Clash, by Jean Donaldson a few short years ago.   (A single chapter, in which she describes the problems humans have when taken as pets by a superior species called the Gorn, is worth the price of the book.)  She completely deconstructs the notion of the Disney dog, one that functions as though it were a human in a dog's body.  Thanks to Jean I now realize that dogs are poorly equipped to decode the bizarre verbal and physical signals we send them.  Consequently, we, as the allegedly more intelligent species need to learn and apply sound principles of learning if we want a dog to avoid what is natural and instead comply with our strange customs.  For example, what could be stranger from Dominique's point of view than your getting upset when she urinates on the most grass-like surface available?  And when you explained your desires in the matter, did you speak a language in which you know Dominique to be fluent?  Do you suppose she knows English?  Considering the country of origin of her breed, why not Flemish?  Or French? Or German?   In any event, just how do you suppose she may have acquired such language skills?  I'm tempted to dispute your statement that Dominique knows it's wrong to pee on your carpet, but first we'd have to discuss the concepts of right and wrong from Dominique's point of view.  It's probably better to set aside that discussion until after you've read The Culture Clash.  For now I'll ask you to take on faith the assertion that yelling and hitting a paper on the ground will not communicate to Dominique your preferences regarding her potty habits.  Would such actions by a native speaker of Flemish assist you in learning to understand her language?  Or would they cause you to act in a submissive, appeasing way (one easily mistaken for guilt), hoping to calm your would-be teacher?   And would being confined in a closed room, forcibly separated from the one being you depend upon more than any other, accelerate your learning?  You are absolutely right in one respect.  Dominique does not get it, nor will she until you set it up so that she finds it easier to succeed than fail, and then you reward her dozens, even hundreds of times for doing what you want her to do.  I wish you and Dominique well.  ---Dave Morefield

      ADVERTISE HERE

      More than 3,100 dog-loving readers.  Starts at $15 cash for 100-word paragraph.   Contact JustinRudd@...

      LIMITED SEATING FOR WINTER BALL

      CHARITY BALL PROCEEDS TO BUY 40+ BIKES FOR NEEDY LONG BEACH KIDS
      Wed., Dec. 15.  Dress up for this sit-down holiday dinner that includes live music and dancing, at the Reef restaurant, next to the

      Queen Mary, overlooking the Long Beach city skyline.  All proceeds raised from the Winter Ball will go to CAT (Justin Rudd's 501c3 nonprofit) to buy bikes for inner-city youth this Christmas.  Tix are $55 each, on sale now at Holly's Hallmark on 2nd St.  Cash or check payable to CAT.  Ralph and I will be there!  www.CommunityActionTeam.org

      http://www.communityactionteam.org/CAN YOU DONATE TO HELP BUY BIKES FOR NEEDY KIDS?
      If you are unable to attend the Winter Ball (INFO ABOVE) and want to make a tax-deductible donation to this cause, please mail your check payable to "CAT," 5209 E. The
      Toledo #1, Long Beach, 90803.  Write "Kids' Bikes" in the info line. --- JustinRudd@...

      Thanks to all 3,200 of you subscribers for reading the DOG e-News each week.

       http://www.justinrudd.com/ -
       -Justin!
      Visit JustinRudd.com

      Upcoming Events I'm Organizing