Flushing Meadows Pool Complex Will Include Special Features to Accommodate PWDs

  • Alexander Wood
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2005
      MAYOR BLOOMBERG AND QUEENS BOROUGH PRESIDENT MARSHALL BREAK GROUND ON
      $55 MILLION POOL AND ICE SKATING COMPLEX IN FLUSHING MEADOWS CORONA
      PARK

      Complex Will Include Special Features to Accommodate People With
      Disabilities

      Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg today joined Queens Borough President
      Helen Marshall, Parks & Recreation Commissioner Adrian Benepe and
      Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities Executive Director
      Matthew P. Sapolin to break ground on a new pool and ice skating
      complex in Flushing Meadows Corona Park in Queens. The $55.2 million
      project will include an Olympic-sized indoor pool and an NHL
      regulation-sized skating rink, and will be completed by Fall 2007.
      The site, which will be utilized by schools, leagues, and community
      members of all ages, will be Parks & Recreation's first in Queens.
      The complex includes a number of special features to allow for
      recreation activities designed for the physically disabled.

      "Making the City more livable has been a priority from day one, and
      today we finally break ground on a long-promised and long-overdue
      project for the people of Queens," said Mayor Bloomberg. "The local
      community has wanted to build a new pool here for a very long time
      and I'm pleased that we've been able to get this complex project
      underway. It is important that we build and maintain these kinds of
      facilities throughout the City especially in growing areas like
      Flushing. They strengthen our neighborhoods and provide New York
      City residents with quality venues for recreational activity. I am
      particularly pleased we were able to incorporate special features at
      both the rink and pool to accommodate people with disabilities. I
      want to express my gratitude to Borough President Marshall,
      Commissioner Benepe and Executive Director Sapolin for their work on
      this tremendous project."

      "My office has allocated $14.5 million for this recreational complex
      because it will literally help to build sound bodies and better
      futures for so many of our residents," said Queens Borough President
      Marshall. "This pool and skating rink will not only provide exciting
      and attractive venues for swimming, hockey and ice skating
      enthusiasts, but also add to our flagship park's reputation as a
      magnet for fun lovers of all ages. Our parks are oases in urban
      environments, and, as such, require our commitment to their
      maintenance and improvement."

      "Few things are more important than providing quality sports and
      recreation facilities for the city's residents," said Commissioner
      Benepe. "Thanks to generous funding from elected officials and a
      supremely talented creative team, we continue to build innovative
      structures in all five boroughs. This new sports complex will
      introduce generations of children to the joys of swimming, skating,
      and hockey; and to lifetimes of fitness and health."

      The pool will measure 25 by 50 meters and will include a diving tank
      with a three-meter board and two one-meter boards. An outdoor
      seating area will flank the pool. The ice rink venue will measure 80
      by 200 feet and include 400 bleacher seats. The entire complex will
      span more than 100,000 square feet, with an exterior of pre-cast
      concrete panels with an extensive use of glass panels that will allow
      natural light into the entire pool area. The building's shape and
      design allude to the World's Fair pavilions in Flushing Meadows
      Corona Park in both 1939 and 1964. Other aspects of the design,
      including a "floating canopy" and tension wires holding up the roof,
      allude to the movement of athletes. During the planning phase of the
      project, the City engaged the Mayor's Office of People with
      Disabilities and the United Spinal Association to review of the
      facility and implemented their suggestions to ensure it would best
      accommodate people with disabilities.

      "The Flushing pool will be furnished with lift equipment providing
      recreational swimming for people with disabilities, and the
      accessible ice-rink will allow them to play sled hockey," said
      Executive Director Matthew Sapolin. "We have enjoyed working with
      EDC, Parks and the design team to make this facility accessible to
      all New Yorkers, and it will be a wonderful addition to our many
      sports facilities here in Queens."

      "Making the City a better place to live is an important component of
      our economic development strategy," said Economic Development
      Corporation Andrew M. Alper. "We are making a number of strategic
      investments in Flushing to revitalize the area and catalyze further
      development. This new, state-of-the-art facility will be a
      tremendous asset for Flushing residents for years to come."

      The design was a collaboration effort between Handel Architects, LLP
      and Hom & Goldman Architects, two renowned firms known for such high-
      profile projects as the World Trade Center Site Memorial and Ritz-
      Carlton Downtown (Handel) and renovations to the Fashion Institute of
      Technology and the Seward Park branch of the New York Public Library
      (Hom & Goldman). Landscape architecture was prepared by Semmens
      Associates.

      Flushing Meadows Corona Park's current ice skating facility, located
      in the same building as the Queens Museum, is more than 60 years
      old. Once the new structure is completed, the old rink will be
      removed and the museum will expand into the space. The City
      allocated $40.7 million for the new facility; Borough President
      Marshall set aside $14.5 million.

      MEDIA CONTACT:

      Edward Skyler / Robert Lawson (212) 788-2958

      GENERAL CONTACT:

      Warner Johnston (Parks & Recreation)
      (212) 360-1311
      Michael Sherman/Andrew Brent (Economic Development Corp.)
      (212) 312-3523