news items

  • Bob May
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 6, 2011

      This first one I think may be a repeat

      Roots of disease may vary with ancestry, according to Stanford geneticist

      Tightening the interval of the expected relates to a paper Demographic history and rare allele sharing among human populations at http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/06/30/1019276108.abstract

    • Bob May
      Message 83 of 83 , Jul 1, 2012

        http://the-scientist.com/2012/06/28/patent-war-for-prenatal-tests/  Patent War for Prenatal Tests

        Four companies who have developed noninvasive genetic prenatal tests are fighting over who has the patent rights to the revolutionary techniques. By Cristina Luiggi | June 28, 2012

        http://the-scientist.com/2012/06/29/uk-to-enforce-paper-sharing/ UK to Enforce Paper Sharing

        The United Kingdom’s Wellcome Trust announces that it will begin sanctioning researchers who do not submit manuscripts to the public UK PubMed Central database. By Jef Akst | June 29, 2012

        http://the-scientist.com/2012/06/28/jumping-genes-a-cause-of-cancer/ Jumping Genes a Cause of Cancer?

        Genome sequence analysis confirms mobile genetic elements are a mutagenic mechanism in a variety of cancers. By Ruth Williams | June 28, 2012

        http://the-scientist.com/2012/06/29/obamacare-will-affect-research/ Obamacare Will Affect Research

        The Supreme Court’s decision to uphold President Barack Obama’s health care reform law has an impact in the form of key provisions that will impact US science funding in the years to come. By Bob Grant | June 29, 2012

        http://the-scientist.com/2012/06/26/next-generation-separation-two-ways/ Next Generation: Separation Two Ways

        Researchers have designed a microfluidics chip to separate cells using gravity and a force field. By Sabrina Richards | June 26, 2012

        J. Bernate, G. Drazer, “Stochastic and deterministic vector chromatography of suspended particles in one-dimensional periodic potentials,” Physical Review Letters, 108:214501-5, 2012.

        http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/246995.php Previously Undetected Abnormalities In Parents Of Affected Children Revealed By Genomewide Analysis Article Date: 26 Jun 2012 - 1:00 PDT

        The use of genome-wide array analysis[1] in parents whose children are suspected of having a genetic disease shows that the parents frequently also have previously undetected genetic abnormalities, a researcher from The Netherlands told the annual conference of the European Society of Human Genetics today (Sunday).

        http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/247006.php Cheaper, Faster Diagnosis In Heterogeneous Disease Via Exome Sequencing Article Date: 26 Jun 2012 - 1:00 PDT

        The first report of the diagnostic use of the technique of exome sequencing, where short sequences of DNA are analysed, shows that it can give good results at low cost, a researcher from The Netherlands told the annual conference of the European Society of Human Genetics.

        Bob

        DNA Projects I2*, ISOGG new I2b, I2c HG & Tyler Surname and ISOGG YTree

        A Fair Deal for Members of the Defence and Ex Service Community.