Re: (MLE yahoogrp updates)

  • Lino Gerona
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 16, 2012
      Diane,We Visayans are not worried about English linguistic imperialism. What we hate is Tagalog linguistic imperialism in the guise of Filipino. It is all around us - television, movies, radio, the
      educational system, Manila-based big businesses,  killing our local languages.

      My organization, DILA, is seriouisly mulling things over and is very close to withdrawing support for
      MTB MLE in its current form under DO 16 s. 2012 because it has been hijacked by the group of Virgilio
      Almario, limiting MTB MLE to Grade three and textbooks being translated from a central source
      (Almario's group?) into the twelve languages prescribed by DO 16. All along we thought education
      materials would be localized.

      DILA is also close to not supporting Rep Magtanggol Gunigundo. His bill has been around for many
      years but he has not seemed serious about pushing it through. It seems to be more of a tactic to block
      the Gullas  English bill. There is a question of credibility here.

      Between Tagalog and English, Visayans will choose English. To us, Tagalog (disguised as Filipino)
      has no value in our lives. There are twenty million of us and we do not need Tagalog. But we find
      English useful in  this era of globalization. (Tagalog policy  makers always made sure that the non-Tagalog languages would be marginalized.)

      Manny

      ________________________________

      Have you all seen this? A good confirmation on what we are trying to accomplish through MTB MLE!! Enjoy!

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/mar/13/linguistic-imperialism-english-language-teaching?newsfeed=true

      Diane

      Diane Dekker
      Senior MLE Consultant
      SIL International
      7226186
      diane_dekker@...

    • dphilfinc
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 16, 2012
        > Have you all seen this? A good confirmation on what we are trying to accomplish through MTB MLE!! Enjoy!
        > http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/mar/13/linguistic-imperialism-english-language-teaching

        Reading through the article, I cannot comprehend what the Dekkers are expecting to accomplish by pandering to the Tagalista nationalist supremacists in power. Our DILA group description succinctly states our position on English, that it is not the problem. Tagalog is. - Benjie

        -----------------

        Linguistic imperialism alive and kicking

        US and UK policy to promote English language teaching expertise around the world is undermining multilingualism and education opportunities

        Topics reported on recently in Learning English give me grounds for concern about internationally driven efforts to strengthen the learning of English. They suggest strongly that Tesol/ELT is part of the problem rather than the solution. There is increasing evidence that what is on offer may in fact cause educational failure.

        My worries were triggered by two shocking headlines (Learning English, 13 January). One reports on the massive failure in Namibia of English as the main medium of education: "Language policy 'poisoning' children". This was the conclusion of a recent NGO study. The second was "Language myth cripples Pakistan's schools". The myth is the belief that studying English is all you need for success in life. Policies influenced by this myth prevent most children from accessing relevant education...
      • Lino Gerona
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
          Diane,

          Welcome and thanks. I forwarded to MLE forum the reaction of DILA's corporate secretary.
          We are really very unhappy that MTB MLE has been hijacked.

          Manny

          Yes, I know, but the comparison can be made! And since everyone is so English-centric, this is an eye opener for so many who haven’t thought in this way. As for supporting MLE, I would suggest that you do whatever is required to support the long exit program! That is going to be an issue until it is dealt with by DepEd. But I don’t expect DepEd to deal with it for a while. Their hands are too full with implementing it in the early grades alone.

          Anyway, nice to hear from you! Thanks for your comments.
          Diane