Re: No primacy in any one language in the Philippines?

  • DILA-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012
      Re: [DILA] No primacy in any one language in the Philippines?

      I should have put together the two postings on no primacy in any language in the Philippines and the Sri Lanka civil war.

      It took a civil war of 25 years in Sri Lanka. While the Tamils lost the war, they won the language issue. The Sri Lanka Constitution was amended to make Tamil a national language alongside Sinhalese with English as the link language between the two communities.

      Must we have a civil war to have our non-Tagalog languages recognized as official languages? Are the Neo Nazi proponents of a single national language so stubborn that it will have to come to this? Spain and Belgium averted a civil war by recognizing the other ethnic languages as official languages. UK recognizes Welsh as an official language. South Africa has no national languages but ten oficial
      languages. India has about 18 official languages.

      Lino