Re: [DILA] Bobit Avila at his best

  • Lino Gerona
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2011
      Yes. Canada almost split because of language issues. Czechoslovakia did split into Czech Republic
      and Slovakia. So did Pakistan split into Bangladesh and Pakistan because of untra nationalists in
      Islamabad who imposed Urdu as the sole national language among the Bengali speakers Of West Bengal.
      Sri Lanka had a 25-ywar civil war as  the majority Sinhalese ignoring the minority Tamils, imposed
      Sinhalesew as the only language in the country. Unfortunately for them, the Tamils lost the war when
      they resorted to terrorism and assasinated an Indian Prime Minister. That was biting the hand that fed
      them. Belgium prevented a break up by going federal and explicitly recognizing language communities
      and droping French as the only national language (use of French was a vestige of the Jacobinist ideology
      of French Revolution, one country, one people, one people). Spain prevented a break up by  giving
      quasi federal powers to its regions now called "autonomous communities" with powers clearly
      delineated between the autonomous communities and the center in the Spanish Constitution. The regional
      languages were made co-official languages with Spanish. The Constitution recognized the various
      nationalities, making Spain a country of many nations. This debunked the old theory of the nation-state.

      The Constitution of India now recognizes 23 languages, spoken in different parts the country, namely Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Meitei, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu. Hindi is a official language of the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Uttaranchal, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana and the National Capital Territory of Delhi. Tamil is a official language of Tamil_Nadu, Puducherry and Andamon Nicobar Islands. English is the co-official language of the Indian Union, and each of the several states mentioned above may also have another co-official language

      South Africa has eleven official languages. They are Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tswana, Tsonga, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu. Fewer than one percent of South Africans speak a first language other than an official one.[1] Most South Africans can speak more than one language. Prior to 1994, South Africa had only two official languages, English and Afrikaans. There is no national language.