Re: Calling for a Bisaya Renaissance

  • Merlie Alunan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 14, 2011
      Adding to the List:

      Literary development. This is partly the fault of all the legislations pertinent to language and the way they have been implemented in our civil society. These laws resulted in the exclusion of Visayan literature from the literary develiopment of the coutrry, English and Tagalog having been cannonized as the legitimate representatives of the country's literary life. This has succeeded in dampening creativity in our Visayan languages (and all other Philippine languages labelled as regional or provincial). Luckily for Cebuano it has always had writers of calibre who refused to be silenced and drawn into viewing their native tongue as secondary and have continued writing despite the lack of publication opportunities. It may appear that the NCCA has undertaken affirmative action to encourage writing in the languages, but inevitably this affirmative action hardly remedies the yawning gap in literary development between Cebuano and the primate languages. Literature in the primate languages are ensconced in academe. Until recently, Cebuano is disallowed in the classrooms and is deemed unsuitable for intellectual discussions.Local publishers are almost non-existent, and readers prefer reading American whodunnits than buying a book by local authors, especially those in Cebuano. Cebuanos can do a lot to reverse this situation. Many young people have taken up writing in the native language, but their experience of the native language is for the great part inadequate--for lack of deep immersion in the language itself (there are not so many books to read in Cebuano), so that they practically have to re-create the language itself from their own immersions in it. Whatever they are doing is worth doing. Cebuanos must re-learn to appreciate the deeper and finer usage ofl the native language. They must be willing to invest in the publication of local works--Sunstar Superbalita and Bisaya may be commended for this. And we must re-learn to read in our own language.

      From: Resty Cena <restycena@...>
      Subject: (MLE yahoogrp updates) Re: Are Dying Languages Worth Saving?
      To: MLE-Philippines@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, July 9, 2011, 12:01 AM

      Lino Gerona wrote:

      '<< ... if such groups have negatively affected our languages,
      then I see it as our DEMOCRATIC right to petition such
      groups to take corrective action. >>'

      Now that there is a better understanding of the role of native
      languages in education and stronger acceptance of their right
      to exist, this is a good time to renew efforts to curtail policies
      and practices that unjustifiably and negatively affect many
      languages across the nation. I look forward to reading the petition,
      or an 'official' position paper, or an up-to-date list of government
      and non-government groups activities that have negatively
      affected the use and development of these other languages.
      A list of corrective actions, from the point of view of native
      speakers, would be very instructive.

      Resty Cena"

      REVIEW OF POLICIES AND PRACTICES PUTING OUR NON-TAGALOG
      LANGUAGES IN HARM'S WAY, SOME SUGGESTED CORRECTIVE
      ACTIONS

      (I) NATIONAL AND PROVINCIAL LANGUAGE POLICY –

      The national and provincial language policy: Only Filipino is the
      national language, with English as an official language, yet other
      countries in recent years (Ethiopia, Uganda, South Africa, etc) have
      made multiple native languages official. Many more political entities
      (regions, provinces, autonomous territories, and even municipalities)
      around the world have made their main languages co-official with
      whatever national languages already recognized in the country, such as
      the Basque, Galician, and Catalan regions of Spain; the Sindh Province
      of Pakistan; the Fryslan Province of Netherlands; the constituent
      country of Wales within the UK; the Nunavut Territory of Canada; the
      Xinjiang and Tibet autonomous units of China; several municipalities
      of Norway/Sweden; and many more.

      In the Philippines, the main languages have not been made into national
      languages nor have they yet been promoted to co-official languages
      by smaller government units.The activity going on in La Union province
      to formally incorporateIlokano in various sectors alongside
      Tagalog and English is arefreshing change in an otherwise stagnant
      climate for government-ledlanguage sponsorship in other parts
      of the country.

      Meanwhile,unfortunately, the vast majority of pamphlets, tarpaulins,
      reports etcsent from the various national departments to the regions
      are in English, sometimes Tagalog, and very very rarely in the respective
      regional or local languages. It is ironic that one can go on the
      Department of Health website in Hawaii and find important documents on
      anthrax, asthma, and other diseases available in Tagalog and Ilokano,
      but yet the same cannot be said right here in the Philippines, the very country
      where these language are native and have many more speakers…

      (II). NATIONAL ANTHEM –

      It has been made  a criminal offense to sing the national anthem (or say
      the Pledge to the flag) in another language other than Filipino
      according to the Flag and Heraldic Code, even if it is a native
      Philippine language. Is this not against (a) the
      constitutionally-guaranteed freedom of expression? (the Constitution,
      by the way, should take precedence over a congressional act like the
      Flag Code); (b) the rights of indigenous people to preserve and develop
      their languages and cultures provided in the Constitution and the
      Indigenous People’s Rights Act? Most indigenous groups had no say over
      the matter of the Philippine Republic’s creation, and then we turn
      around and force them to sing about how much they love this country,
      in a language which they might not understand and have very little
      historical significance to them? iii) The very goals of said Flag Code,
      which is supposed to foster national pride and unity? Maybe I’m crazy,
      but I think I could express my love for my country more authentically
      in the tongue that is closest to my heart, the one I best understand,
      the one my mother whispered to me while on her breast, the one I make
      love and dream in. Especially if there were not the threat of my being
      imprisoned for one year or fined 20,000 pesos. I don’t know of another
      country that makes it a crime to sing its anthem in all but one of its
      own languages (which actually are recognized as “auxiliary official
      languages” in the Constitution! What a sham!). Several individuals,
      groups, and provinces have attempted to sing variations of the
      national anthem, but have always met the same death by the National
      Historical Commission, citing the Flag and Heraldic Code. Some
      congressman, I pray, will someday have the courage to move to amend
      the law so as to decriminalize it, to provide a process where
      translations can be formally reviewed and approved, or at least
      provide exceptions (such as indigenous groups, informal settings, in
      privacy, etc) where variations are acceptable. The law also leads to the
      absurd situation where singing the original Spanish.version of the
      national anthem is not allowed.

      (III). EDUCATION POLICY –

      Our languages have been largely excluded from
      education for over 100 years. Apart from the brief phase of using the
      vernacular in Grade 1 and Grade 2 between the 1956 and 1974, they have
      not been formally incorporated in the educational system as media of
      instruction or even as subjects. Moreover, it was common practice to
      punish or fine a student for speaking in the local language; even now,
      signs saying “English only” abound, and teachers rampantly scold their
      students for not speaking English or Filipino in the provinces. By the
      way, Rep. Magtanggol Gunigundo, author for the MTB MLE bill says that
      thism practice violates the Constitutional rights of children to freedom of
      expression, and the school authorities and DepEd officials concened
      couild be brought to the courts. So, if any one is aware of actual insances
      of these pratices, please bing them to the attentionn of Rep. Gunugundo.

      The majority (70%) of Filipinos have never been formally taught their
      native languages, and hence do not know their proper spelling,
      grammar, and deeper vocabulary. Similarly, most Filipinos have never
      read a book in their native language, as there are few people who can
      properly write them and a similarly pathetic number who can
      comfortably read. It is not that the languages are somehow inadequate,
      it is mostly that our access to and instruction of them are limited.

      Meanwhile, South Africa lets their school divisions choose what
      languages they want to use as MOI, Spain has different MOIs depending
      on region, Taiwan teaches their mother tongues as language subjects,
      Singapore streams pupils into different language schools based on
      ethnicity, India requires all students to learn the local language,
      the national language, and English, Malaysia gives parents the choice
      to enter their children into national schools (where they use the
      national language) or vernacular schools (where they use the local
      language), and many more examples that give more flexibility and
      choice than the Philippine system, which remains extremely centralized
      and homogenous for such a diverse country.

      (IV). COMMERCE –

      National franchises such as Jollibees, Mcdo, SM, and others
      don’t adjust their operations in different parts of the country
      according to language. It’s a one-size-fits-all approach with the
      signs, ads, and menus all being in English and/or  Tagalog. While this is
      probably a matter of efficiency and economy, some things could be
      changed at no cost. For example, in many parts of the country
      (especially Luzon) the staff will only communicate with the customer
      in English or Tagalog. It has been noted that in Pampanga if you speak
      Kapampangan to the staff, or Pangasinense in Pangasinan, or Ilokano in
      other northern provinces, the staff by default normally reply in English or
      Tagalog. When you ask them why, they tell you that (i)  they either feel shy
      because their boss is around, or (ii) that they’ve been explicitly told to
      speak only in English or Tagalog. Many managers and owners of outlets in the
      Provinces are not locals but rather from NCR, and try to impose their
      language preferences on their staff. This mayn or may not be an officially
      endorsed policy of the overall company, but since instances of this
      kind of linguistic discrimination are common (and once again against
      the freedom of expression in our Bill of Rights), headquarters should
      properly train their managers and staff to respect the linguistic
      rights of each other and especially their customers. Does it not also
      make business sense to make a customer feel as comfortable as possible
      and respond, when possible, in the language he or she chooses to
      communicate in? If a cashier knows the local language, and a customer
      uses it, I see no reason for the cashier not to respectfully entertain
      the customer’s language preference, rather than implicitly degrading
      the customer by responding in a more “prestigious” language. Note that
      in Canada, they have big signs at airports and railway stations saying
      "We will serve you in the language of your choice/ Nous vous servions dans
      la langue de votre choisir."

      Unfortunately, most training for these establishments occurs in
      Manila, and the scenario of a customer walking in and speaking a
      different language besides Tagalog or English is simply not dealt with. When
      preparing the kodigo or script of what staff should say behind the counter,
      these companies should also prepare ones for the main local language
      in addition to the English and Tagalog versions.  This is something the La Union
      Provincial Government is also trying to encourage, as what their language
      consultant, Firth McEachern,  tells me. If they have had any success it would
      be better if you should ask him..

      (V). MEDIA –

      It is illuminating to compare the media picture of the
      Philippines
      with India. Like the Philippines, India is a developing
      country, it has a high population density, was colonized by an
      English-speaking power, received independence at about the same time,
      and is highly multilingual. But they went very different directions in
      language policy, and this is reflected in their media landscape. There
      are over 500 TV channels covering all major languages of India.
      The largest national network, Doordarshan, runs a 3-tier broadcasting
      system (national, regional, local) and has an additional 10 regional
      language satellite channels broadcast internationally. There are
      cinema and music industries in 11 different Indian languages. Seven
      languages are represented by the top 10 circulating newspapers in the
      country.

      Now while it is true that India’s population is much greater than the
      Philippines, and therefore have greater power in numbers to help
      sustain media in different languages, the most important factor is the
      climate for the use and development of such languages. If a group is
      virtually illiterate in their own language, a large print circulation
      in that language cannot be sustained – no matter how big the
      population is. Cebuano, of over 20 million speakers is a case in
      point. But Indians are generally not illiterate in their native
      languages. 33 languages are used as media of instruction across the
      country at the primary level, 21 in secondary, and 18 above this
      level! The national government furthermore aids the adaptation of its
      languages to new technologies through the “Technology Development in
      Indian Languages” program, so whenever a new web service, computer
      program, speech recognition software, etc comes out, it is swiftly
      applied to 26 official “Scheduled” languages. The Indian parliament
      has repeatedly added new Scheduled languages to its Constitution, and
      has plans to add a dozen or so more.

      If Philippine media networks say, “Oh, there’s no market for media in
      other languages besides Tagalog” or “they’re not profitable,” there
      are several answers to this. (a) No major television network has ever
      made a serious and sustained effort to patronize the other languages
      beyond the odd half an hour broadcast. No dedicated channels,
      cartoons, quality-dubbed movies, music channels, etc. So how can they
      be sure if it hasn’t really been tried properly? (b) And if they are
      not sustainable, that’s not surprising! It’s hard to cater to
      languages that are excluded from education, government, technology,
      and suffer from low reputations and low literacy. (c) In other
      countries, like Wales, New Zealand, Morocco, and Turkey, television in
      minority languages which are not profitable are bankrolled by
      governments in order to ensure that different ethnic groups have
      access to these important services. If the Philippine government cared
      about the diversification of its media, it could find a way, through
      sponsorship, incentives, mutual benefit agreements with the major
      companies, or just by simply requesting.

      Even if no dramatic changes were undertaken, Philippine media
      conglomerates could at least establish some protocols for respectful
      treatment of different groups. For example, if a reporter is
      interviewing someone, he or she should ask what language he would like
      to be interviewed in (as the BBC do), and if it’s different from
      Tagalog or English, it’s up to the multibillion dollar broadcaster to
      dub or subtitle the interview if it wishes. Secondly, insulting and
      racist (“languagist”?) content such as found in the movie Sakal Sakali
      Saklolo should be discouraged. And adverts should be allowed to be
      submitted in any language---after all, the client is paying so he
      should be able to dictate the language, not ABS-CBN (which was the
      problem Senator Osmena came across a few years ago). In ABS-

      CBN's Pinoy Big Brother, Princess Lieza Manzon was admonished
      not to speak in Cebuano to her provinemate, Paul Jake. Fortunately,
      Manzon once worked as an interpreter in Japan and replied they could
      always hire an interpreter. An interpreter was hired, Princess spoke in
      Cebuano. Nevertheless, she decided to quit the show not long after,
      Also, Manila=based media have the habit of using the Visayan term for
      a young woman,Inday, as an ignorant domestic maid.

      (VI). INTERNET –

      This is the subject of a lot of recent interest. For reasons not
      entirely clear, the Google and Facebook localization teams for the
      Philippines have not created website versions for other Philippine
      languages. This is especially strange given that, (a) there are many
      Google and Facebook services for languages with fewer speakers (and
      even no native speakers, like Latin or Pirate (?); (b) the Philippine
      regional languages technically enjoy constitutional status as
      auxiliary official languages, and many regional languages with
      equivalent status around the world have already been given Google
      search portals and Facebook versions; (c) the Philippine regional
      languages are used by millions of people everyday, have established
      literatures, are used in regional broadcasts of national television
      (albeit short ones)and most AM radio, and are finally being prepared for
       use in primaryeducation—yet some languages in other countries that
      are much less established and have not penetrated the same
      number of societa ldomains already have Google and Facebook support.

      There are at least threef possible reasons for this:
      (a) One theory for this language gap might be that most of the employees
      in Google’s localization team originate from NCR, are not speakers of
      said regional languages, and thus do not see support for them as
      urgent. (b) Another reason might come down to semantic miscommunication.
      Google says to their Filipino team, “Right people, we’re going to roll
      out Google for the Philippine languages so as to localize our
      services. What languages exist in the Philippines?” The Filipinos,
      accustomed through Jacobinist  brainwashnig since childhood to
      refer to English and Filipino as languages while the others as dialects,
      respond, “English and Filipino.”

      Google theninstructs them to proceed and make the search portal in English
      and Filipino. This is a very likely scenario since hardly anyone besides
      professors of linguistics know that the “dialects” are in fact
      independent languages, and I guess the typical employee is a nerdy
      comp sci graduate and not anyone familiar with Philippine languages.
      (c) The third theory is that these internet companies are only willing to
      support languages as far as the national government in question is
      concerned. Given the relative low support, recognition, and inclusion
      of Philippine languages in national policy and procedures, the
      concomitant support by these global companies is similarly weak.
      Whatever the reason is, someone should bring these deficiencies to
      their attention.

      (VII) KOMISYON sa WIKANG FILIPINO –

      The Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino was set up to fulfill the
      provision in the Constitution that says, “The Congress shall establish
      a national language commission composed of representatives of various
      regions and disciplines which shall undertake, coordinate, and promote
      researches for the development, propagation, and preservation of
      Filipino and other languages” (Article XIV, Section 9). Will someone
      tell me exactly what the KWF has done for the “other languages”? Have
      they tried to rectify the marginalization our languages face across
      all the sectors listed above? Have they critically examined the
      constitutionality of the Flag and Heraldic Code? No. Along with the
      National Historical Commission, they are among its biggest supporters!
      Have they coordinated with the commercial sector to encourage
      language-friendly policies? No. Have they petitioned ABS-CBN, GMA, and
      TV5 for better representation of other languages? No. Have they
      researched how Facebook and Google may become more multilingual in the
      Philippines and taken action? No. And why have they remained so silent
      about the MTB-MLE movement? If you really want to “develop, propagate,
      and preserve” languages, education seems like an obvious place to
      start.

      Instead, it seems like they are trying to do the exact opposite. The
      one KWF commissioner who seemed to finally take note of the other half
      of KWF’s mandate, Dr. Ricardo Nolasco, was swiftly removed and
      replaced with the traditional type— the kind who serves the other
      languages with a token translation here or there. It is revealing that
      the KWF has often spoken in avid favor of legislation to make our
      educational system entirely or almost entirely Filipino (such as the
      Estrada bill that recently came out). It is also revealing that pretty
      much only 1 out of 5 divisions of the KWF is dedicated to other
      Philippine languages. I would finally also advise people to read their
      annual report and budget and witness to what extent they are actually
      developing our native languages. They sem to be hostage to years
      of Jacobinist indoctrination - one country, one people, one language.

      (VIII) SOCIAL CLIMATE –

      Not including all the aforementioned language
      inadequacies systemic in the policies and actions of government,
      corporations, media, and other sectors, there is a major information
      void among the public. Probably 99% of Filipinos are not aware that
      most Philippine languages are threatened, what the conditions and
      ramifications of language death are, what are the implications (pros
      and cons) of a multilingual society, what other countries have done to
      safeguard their languages (and the corollary—what the Philippine has
      not done so far), what linguistic rights individuals and communities
      are afforded based on existing national and international law, and
      what they can do to secure those rights. Heck, we are still calling
      our languages ‘dialects’ after 100 years, as if they were all slight
      modifications of the same language! My point is, any attempt to fix
      the institutional problems concerning language will run up against
      massive amounts of misinformation, misguided preconceptions, or simple
      lack of knowledge on the pertinent issues. The public is largely in
      the dark, probably because our educational system has not cared about
      our linguistic diversity in either a practical way (using our
      languages in the classroom), nor in a theoretical way (issues of
      language appearing in curriculum content). The lack of information,
      apathy, or downright distaste for our native languages persist when
      the deprived students proceed to government, media, and other sectors,
      in which the chance that they are likely to care, never mind think of,
      policy changes to rectify the situation is next to nil.

      Regardless of one’s views on whether we should be doing more to
      exercise our linguistic rights; whether we should push for English,
      Filipino, our mother tongues, or some sort of combination; and how to
      approach the language reforms we seek, everyone would benefit from
      more information. Right now, our language future is at risk of being
      decided by a few ideologues, Tagalog media giants, and congressmen
      eager to create legislation reflecting their specific views on such
      matters. They, for the most part, grew up in the same
      information-starved environment that we all did when it comes to
      language rights, services, and pluralism—so it worries me
      substantially that they are also the ones to decide our media of
      instruction in school and other policies that affect our languages.
      One positive movement towards addressing the widespread information
      hole is the recent proliferation of conferences on MTB-MLE, cultural
      and linguistic democracy, etc. Awareness and exchange of ideas is the
      first step towards any reform.

      (IX) NTERNATIONAL CONVENTION ON THE RIGHTS OF THE CHILD -

      The Philippines did sign and ratify  the International
      Convention on the Rights of the Child. Article 29.1 (c) of the Convention
      provides among other things that the "States Parties agree that the
      education of the child shall be directed to the development of respect for
      the child's parents, his or her own cultural identity,language and
       values, for the national values of the country in which the child
      is living; the country from which he or she may
      originate, and for civilizations different from his or her own;"

      Further, Article 30 of the Convention provides that in "those States
      in which ethnic, religious or linguistic minorities or persons of
      indigenous origin exist, a child belonging to such a minority
      or who is indigenous shall not be denied the right, in community
      with other membersof his or her group, to enjoy his or her own
      culture, to profess and practise his or her own religion, or to use
      his or her own language."

      In submiting Compliance Reports to UNICEF, Philippine authorities
      generally claim compliancesince the Constitution provides in Section 7,
      Article XIV  that theregional languages are auxiliary official
      languages and auxiliary languages of instruction. This is
      duplicitous and intellecually dishonest, Indeed,  while Section 3 (g) of
      RA 7104, the law creating  the Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino defines
      auxiliary language thus:" refers to a particular language,spoken in
      certain places, which supports or helps the  national and/or official
      languages in their assigned functions", neither the auxiliary
      languages provisions of the Constitution nor the definitionin RA 7104
      have been made opertional. It is all lip service. How can this be
      considered as conpliance?

      (X) RECOGNIZE, RESPECT AND ACTIVELY PROMOTE OUR CULTURAL
      AND LINGUISTIC DIVERSITY - UNITY IN DIVERSITY-

      This is best summarized in what Sionil F. Jose wrote in his column :
      Light at the end of the tunnel  HINDSIGHT on his interviww with Gibo
      Teodoro (The Philippine Star) Updated January 10,2010 12:00 AM

      Sionil F. Jose: "Some two decades ago, James Fallows of the Atlantic
      Monthly postulated that our “damaged culture” hinders our
      development. If culture both as anthropological and aesthetic
      concept is a factor in the building of anation, how will you handle it?"

      Gibo Teodoro: "I believe that the effort to disregard the rich cultural
      diversity of our country led to a lot of damage. The single language, single
      ideology line of nation-building has not been a positive development
      for our country. It has bred bigotry and division.
      I believe that we must accept that we are diverse. We are an
      archipelago, for heaven’s sake. We must encourage that diversity and
      teach each other what we are, so that a culture of tolerance and
      respect evolves. Even the contributions of our colonizers such as
      languages, both Spanish and English, must be appreciated and their use
      enhanced. The world itself because of increasing interconnections is
      getting increasingly culturally aware. We should be the same in our
      own country."
    • dphilfinc
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2011
        --- In DILA@yahoogroups.com, <merliealunan@...> wrote:
        > Literary development. This is partly the fault of all the legislations pertinent to language and the way they have been implemented in our civil society.

        The list provided by Manny, Merlie and Lino has been compiled and saved in pdf format over at the dila/files section. For uploading later this week to dila.ph for the general public to access.

        http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?publicationSubCategoryId=64&articleId=706605
        Prof. Magno today criticizes the plot to add what might be the 1,000th Philippine province. I have always believed that fragmentation is bad for our country especially since it allows the Tagalogs in Manila to dominate us. Our language problems, among other problems, would not have scaled to this magnitude if there had been a single Cebuano governor for 20 million Cebuanos or for the 10 million Ilocanos, just one decisive governor. But that would vastly curtail the power of imperialist Manila.

        Benjie
      • Merlie Alunan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
          About the absence of Visayan political leadership on a national scale--that's for lack of trying, I believe. Oh we do have Visayans who rise to the very top, but on the overall, Visayans tend to be diffident, not so pushy, and actually prefer the more laid back lifestyle of the islands. Like most things, there's a good and a bad side to this. Visayans must begin to think of their position here among our islands in terms of national, not merely provincial or regional level. This, here, is the country, not the backwoods of Manila. Brave words, but it is one way to stand up against the decentering processes which leave us gasping in the margins while some hic from the city strut around proclaiming that he's the Filipino and we better look up to him.

          Naay istorya ana ang Bol-anon. Dinha kuno's bag-ong salta gikan sa siyudad, nagsuroy-suroy sa hunasan. Nakaagi'g mga mangingisda nga naghispo sa ilang kuha nga kasag.

          "Ano iyan?" nangutana siya sa usa ka mangingisda. Way nitubag niya kay way nakaantigong mosulti'g tinagawog.

          Iyang gikuhit ang mga kasag nga nanggimok diha sa baroto. Nakawhat sa usa ka kasag ang iyang tudlo ug gipahit.

          "Ay, Kasag!" Nakaila man diay. Bol-anon ra pod diayng dakp.

          There's a moral to this tale. Try to find it.

          Merlie

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2011
            That should have been Manny, Merlie and Firth who gave us that veritable list. Will be sharing Merlie's tale to the bisaya yahoogroup.

            Benjie